Additional Filtering

krat7260

I have read (several times now) that some guys (as a matter of safety) go through the trouble of filtering anything they get from UG.

Does anyone here do this, and if so, what is the exact process? Also, some have argued that the additional filtering could somehow weaken the potency. I don't see why more filtering would weaken the substance (so long as it is fully absorbed) but I am curious as to what others think on this subject.

nahnever filtered but wouldnt think if i did i would weaken the gear that sounds obserd to me

Filtering after the product is made is generaly a waste of time.Filtering is done when the product is being made. Filtering is not used to sterilize, Its used to filter out any particulates or crystals that may form, or already be in the solution. Filtering will not weaken the substance either. If your solution has crashed, it may have some crystals in it. But that may be remedied by just heating the solution up with low heat until it looks clear again. But if its crashed once, It will crash again. Now if you decide to filter a solution that appears to be crashed, then you will lose potency if filtered. As for your question on filtering processes. Filtering is generaly done by using a Whatman syringe filter. They come in 0.20 micron and 0.45 micron sizes. You first draw up the solution in a syringe, using a 20 or 18g needle.Then attach the whatman filter and run the solution through it, and back into a sterle vial. In all reality, you shoudln't have to filter anything that has already been made.Also, filtering products that have allready been made and sealed will only increase the chances of making a sterile product unsterile. So no, I don't suggest it. If someone is that concerned that they need to filter something then I would question if they should should be using that companiy or labs products in the first place.

tool said:
Filtering after the product is made is generaly a waste of time.Filtering is done when the product is being made. Filtering is not used to sterilize, Its used to filter out any particulates or crystals that may form, or already be in the solution. Filtering will not weaken the substance either. If your solution has crashed, it may have some crystals in it. But that may be remedied by just heating the solution up with low heat until it looks clear again. But if its crashed once, It will crash again. Now if you decide to filter a solution that appears to be crashed, then you will lose potency if filtered. As for your question on filtering processes. Filtering is generaly done by using a Whatman syringe filter. They come in 0.20 micron and 0.45 micron sizes. You first draw up the solution in a syringe, using a 20 or 18g needle.Then attach the whatman filter and run the solution through it, and back into a sterle vial. In all reality, you shoudln't have to filter anything that has already been made.Also, filtering products that have allready been made and sealed will only increase the chances of making a sterile product unsterile. So no, I don't suggest it. If someone is that concerned that they need to filter something then I would question if they should should be using that companiy or labs products in the first place.

That makes alot of sense....thanks for the detailed response.

Presser said:
nahnever filtered but wouldnt think if i did i would weaken the gear that sounds obserd to me

Yeah, I figured that this was a bunch of BS. Except in cases tool referred to, it is just another case of internet nonsense. Thanks guys.

Tool, I respectfully disagree with your comment. .20 and .45 micron filters DO do sterilize in my opinion. A large majority of bacteria are larger than .45 microns. I believe (some biology grads should chime in) only a few bacteria are smaller than .45 microns (maybe it's .20 microns).. not sure. If my memory serves me... only a very, very few bacteria will pass under .45 microns.... then again it could be that we are safe with a .20 micron filter as only 2 or 3 bacteria will pass. My biological studies were many years ago. Can't remember the micron size of bacteria. Personally I filter at .45 and follow by bringing the temp up to 250 for 20 mins.

Stryker

tool said:

I filter at .45 microns in Upper Level Biology Labs. Should be no problems. Not to mention, the BA in the vial. Should pretty much kill almost all bacteria. Always give it at least a week after brewing before use. I believe most problems in homebrewing come from very careless home brewers. Maybe even trying to filter too much through one filter

Back