Best L-Tyrosine Supplements

Muscle Insider

We all know the importance of chemicals, such as neurotransmitters and hormones, in our bodies. Without adequate blood levels as well as the coordinated action of these neurochemicals and hormones, one may not function normally.

But here, the question is, what are the precursors required to synthesize these essential body chemicals?

The answer to this is amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of these neurochemicals. And, one such critical amino acid that we are going to review is Tyrosine.

Tyrosine is a key ingredient required to produce neurotransmitters, which are catecholamines in nature, such as dopamine, and epinephrine, etc. I will include everything you need to know about Tyrosine, ranging from its mechanism of action and the potential benefits.

Read through to the end to know the top 5 Tyrosine supplements available in the market, which you can potentially consider if you are planning on starting the Tyrosine cycle.

What Are The 5 Best Tyrosine Supplements?
Tyrosine helps synthesize important neurochemicals, such as Dopamine, Adrenaline, Nor-Adrenaline, and increases blood levels of thyroid hormones.

1. L-Tyrosine From Bulk Supplements

2.L-Tyrosine Powder By Botany.bio

2. NOW Supplements L-Tyrosine

3. Doctor’s BEST L-Tyrosine

5. Nutricost L-Tyrosine Powder

Pros[/b][/i]Enhances cognitive capabilities

[/i]Helps manage Phenylketonuria (PKU) symptoms

[/i]Keeps you alert in sleep-deprived circumstances

[/list]
What Is L-Tyrosine?
L-Tyrosine (L indicating the free-form of the amino acid) or 4-hydroxyphenylalanine, is a non-essential amino acid in our body, which means it can be synthesized in our own bodies (1). Tyrosine is made from another amino acid named Phenylalanine in our body.

If you have heard of Phenylketonuria (PKU), a genetic condition that causes the accumulation of abnormal amounts of Phenylalanine without getting converted to Tyrosine (2), you must have surely heard of Tyrosine supplementation.

Well, you can find Tyrosine in dairy products, meat, wheat, beans, etc.

How Does Tyrosine Work?
As I talked about, Tyrosine acts as a precursor to synthesize important chemicals in the body. Let’s decode these neurochemicals one by one.

Tyrosine is a key component involved in synthesizing one of the most important neurotransmitters named Dopamine (3). L-Tyrosine is converted to L-Dopa in the dopaminergic cells, and the reaction is catalyzed by tyrosine hydroxylase. The next step is the synthesis of 3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (Dopamine).

Dopamine is one of the happy hormones and is an important regulator of feelings like reward and punishment.

Tyrosine also helps synthesize Melanin, a pigment in the body that directs the color of your skin, hair, and eyes.

Thyroid hormones also contain Tyrosine as one of there main ingredients, and thyroid hormones are hugely responsible for metabolism in our body.

The catecholamines, such as adrenaline and noradrenaline, are also synthesized from the amino acid Tyrosine, and this group of chemicals prepares you for a ‘flight or fight’ response.

Benefits Of Tyrosine
Because Tyrosine makes sure to maintain adequate levels of neurotransmitters, you can expect to have enhanced cognitive capabilities (4), improved memory, and better performance in stressful situations (5).

Tyrosine supplementation helps establish new neuronal connections and sets up better communication within the brain. It delays the onset of brain decline and triggers a significant increase in mental capacities. Research suggests that it also improves cognitive flexibility (6).

It can improve your mood and restore your energy levels. This may result in better productivity in your overall tasks.

Tyrosine supplementation can help cater to Tyrosine deficiency in patients diagnosed with a rare genetic condition called Phenylketonuria (PKU).

One hypothesis also suggests that Tyrosine can also act as a mild antidepressant. This aligns with the role of Tyrosine in synthesizing important neurotransmitters.

Tyrosine also seems to influence the functioning of sleep-deprived individuals and makes them stay alert.

Although more research is required in the area, some evidence suggests that Tyrosine kinase inhibitors can potentially be used in treating thyroid and lung cancers (7).

Is Tyrosine Legal?
FDA regards Tyrosine supplementation as safe and allows it to be sold as a herbal supplement. But you shouldn’t replace any of your medications with tyrosine supplements.

Who Should Use Tyrosine?
People diagnosed with Phenylketonuria (PKU) will have to use Tyrosine supplementation. In PKU patients, an enzyme that converts Phenylalanine to Tyrosine is deficient. Thus, lower levels of Tyrosine mean that you will have inadequate levels of neurochemicals.

Perhaps if you aim to enhance your cognitive capabilities, you can also dose yourself with Tyrosine as well.

Forms Of Tyrosine
When you search for Tyrosine supplements, you will see that you can either buy the direct form of Tyrosine or as N-acetyl L-tyrosine (NALT) supplement.

The better bioavailability is, of course, of Tyrosine itself, and you will see that it is highly effective relative to NALT.

Just like most other supplements, you can find Tyrosine in the powder and capsules form. While both forms of intake are equally effective, it all depends on your choice of intake.

How To Use Tyrosine?
Because Tyrosine can be used for a variety of purposes, there are no set guidelines for the dosage requirements.

It is usually recommended to take 150mg of Tyrosine per 1kg of body weight (8). With that being said, you will have to devise a set quantity of Tyrosine dosage according to your body weight.

Some clinical trials suggest that Tyrosine is very effective if taken 30-60 minutes prior to any exercise or stressful event. Or, on normal days, you can use Tyrosine supplements 30 minutes before your meals.

To minimize any risk of side effects, you can split the dosage and then consume. I would highly recommend that you take advice from your clinician or dietician before starting Tyrosine supplements.

Side Effects Of Tyrosine
FDA regards Tyrosine as a safe dietary supplement, which can be evident from the fact that Tyrosine is a central ingredient in many neurochemicals in the body.

The only side effect that you can expect is an upset stomach.

Where To Buy Tyrosine Supplements?
As the use of supplements has inarguably increased recently, you will see a lot of online stores selling Tyrosine supplements and claiming to be selling the best versions.

I have narrowed down the list to the top 5 Tyrosine supplements from different brands, with their pros and cons as well, so that you can make a clinical decision for yourself.

L-Tyrosine From Bulk Supplements
L-Tyrosine.jpgquot

Bulk supplements is one of the few brands specializing in selling genuine and organic supplements.

This product is no different. L-tyrosine is designed exactly in the way users want so that they feel calm and composed by taking 1-3 capsules in a day.

You will find both the powder/dietary supplement form as well as capsules. Both forms are free of any additives, such as soya, gelatin, or yeast. This helps cater to the needs of diverse users of Tyrosine supplement.

With 5.0 reviews from many customers and such a nominal price range, it is no wonder why it is my top pick for all the potential readers.

Pros[/b][*][/i]Powdered form available

[*][/i]Suitable for vegetarians

[*][/i]Free of additives

[/list]

L-Tyrosine Powder By Botany.bio
L-Tyrosine-Powder-By-Botany.bio_-300x300-1.jpg

Although a relatively new brand, Botany.bio offers the most organic forms of supplements. You can either buy the free-form L-Tyrosine powder of 200g or in the form of N-acetyl L-tyrosine (NALT) 100g powder.

Perhaps what distinguishes Botany.bio from other potential sellers is the extra attention given to each aspect of the product, such as purity and ingredients.

All the products of Botany.bio are third-party tested with a certificate of analysis provided to the customers.

With the prices aligning with the market range, you will experience top-notch customer services like same-day shipping, money-back guarantee, and tracking service.

It is free of any additives and other ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about the purity of the product.

Pros[/b][*][/i]Third-party tested

[*][/i]Purity guaranteed

[*][/i]Top-quality packaging

[/list]Cons[/b][/i]Very little amount offered

[/i]No supplementary ingredients

[/i]Less number of customers yet

[/list]

NOW Supplements L-Tyrosine
NOW-Supplements-L-Tyrosine-158x300-1.jpg

L-Tyrosine capsules by NOW Supplements promises mental alertness and coordinated action of neurotransmitters.

A bottle of L-Tyrosine by NOW Supplements comprises 120 capsules with each serving of 500mg. NOW Supplements have a whooping 4.3/5 rating from 9,164 users.

Yes! You read it right.

Besides L-Tyrosine (free-form), additional ingredients include gelatin, magnesium stearate, and stearic acid. Note that capsules are Non-GMO, gluten and lactose-free.

It is manufactured in a safe and secure environment, and by following all the protocols it is quality assured by GMP.

Pros[/b][*][/i]Suitable for vegetarians

[*][/i]GMP quality assured

[*][/i]No potential allergens

[/list]
Doctor’s BEST L-Tyrosine
Doctors-BEST-L-Tyrosine-1-186x300-1.png

This dietary supplement from Doctor’s BEST is one of the top products on Amazon. It promises to prove effective in enhancing your brain functioning and glandular functions.

The Non-GMO and gluten-free 120 capsules are ideal for vegetarians because of the modified cellulose covering.

Seeing their product on Amazon, I really think that people behind Doctor’s BEST know precisely how Tyrosine works in our bodies, and for that reason, they want the customers to get the most effective supplement. They recommend taking 1 capsule of 500mg per day.

With a global rating of 4.3 and a lot of satisfied customers, Doctor’s BEST L-Tyrosine powder is a premium product for just $12.74.

Pros[/b][*][/i]Perfect for Vegetarians

[/i]Sufficient number of capsules in 1 bottle to last for 4 months

[/i]Free of potential allergens, such as gluten

[/list]
Nutricost L-Tyrosine Powder
Nutricost-L-Tyrosine-Powder-300x300-1.jpg

Nutricost offers 100g of L-Tyrosine powder in the form of 100 servings.

With characteristics like Non-GMO and gluten-free, L-Tyrosine powder by Nutricost can help you meet the goals you expect without worrying about any allergies, etc.

With an overall rating of 4.5/5, I believe that Nutricost offers L-Tyrosine powder at a very competitive price of $13.95.

If you are someone concerned about the purity of this product, let me tell you that it is manufactured in a GMP compliant and FDA registered facility.

Is Tyrosine Legit?
For sure!

Well, the effectiveness of Tyrosine is evident from the use of its supplements by PKU patients. But, even if you want to enhance your cognitive capabilities and thrive mentally, I would definitely recommend Tyrosine supplements.

Because it is an important precursor in synthesizing important neurochemicals, such as Dopamine, adrenaline, and thyroid hormones, you will see a noticeable influence after taking Tyrosine supplements.

FAQs On Tyrosine
1. Is Tyrosine a prescription drug?
The FDA has not approved the medicinal use of this product. L-Tyrosine should not be used in place of medication prescribed for you by your doctor.

2. Can you supplement Tyrosine?
It is available as a dietary supplement. You can also stack it with other pre-workout supplements for optimal results.

3. Is Tyrosine essential or non-essential?
It is a non-essential amino acid, which means that our body synthesizes it.

4. Does Tyrosine increase testosterone levels?
L-tyrosine also enhances testosterone levels and the semen quality of bulls. But, there is no research conducted so far that suggests an increase in testosterone levels in humans.

5. Does Tyrosine cross the blood-brain barrier?
Tyrosine readily crosses the blood-brain barrier and is the starting point for producing L-DOPA dopamine epinephrine and norepinephrine.

6. Can you take L-Tyrosine and 5 HTP together?
Some people may suggest taking 5-HTP along with a supplement that increases the amount of Dopamine in the body, such as L-tyrosine or L-dopa.

Skip to Section

[/i]

Click here to view the article.

Back