Brazil Fails To Meet IBF Bodybuilding Standards

mikeswift

Gold Member
Brazil Fails To Meet IBF Bodybuilding Standards

Bahamas Bodybuilding and Fitness Federation (BBF) President Danny Sumner has informed of receiving a letter from the International Bodybuilding Federation (IFBB) last week ruling out the sport being a part of the upcoming Pan American Games.

Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:00:00 GMT

By Gerrino Saunders

There will not be a bodybuilding competition at this year's Pan American Games that will be hosted in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, July 23-29, he disclosed.
On Tuesday, Sumner explained that the Pan Am Organizing Committee did not complete repairs to the bodybuilding and fitness facilities as recommended by the IFBB.
According to Sumner, "The IFBB was not pleased with what they were getting for bodybuilding and fitness and as a result the international board notified all of the presidents of the regional federations and informed us that bodybuilding will not be apart of the games due to technical difficulties with the organizing committee of the Pan American Association."
"My belief is that the IFBB may have had an issue with the living conditions and secondly, it may have been a problem with the venue.
"You see, bodybuilding is not an outdoor sport and systematically, you have to have an area that is indoor which is attractive to the fans and the athletes themselves. You cannot put athletes in substandard areas to compete, no, that will not work and the living conditions also must be up to standards," he said.
For local athletes, missing out on performing at the Pan Am Games is a "major set back," said Sumner. "We had a number of athletes who had been training and were likely to make the team. However, we could not say who those athletes would have been.
"Unlike track and field and some of the other sports disciplines, bodybuilding athletes from all of the Caribbean countries would have been selected by the IFBB on consultation with the CAC Committee. The BBF would not have had an input on who would have represented this country," explained Sumner.
Sumner said bodybuilding and fitness will return to the Pan Am Games in 2011 in Guadalajara, Mexico.
In light of local bodybuilders not being able to compete at the Pan Ams they should be eager for the upcoming annual Grand Bahama Championships set for Saturday, June 30 in Freeport.
The Grand Bahama event will be followed by the National Championships that is set for the Saturday, July 21.
Sumner said the BBF executives are encouraging athletes to compete in both events from which a team will be selected for the Central American and Caribbean Championships in Hamilton, Bermuda from October 11-14.

I'm not surprised with their decision considering that the games are to be in Rio de Janeiro. The Carioca's are too lazy to get anything done over there--my opinion, no flames, please.

I don't think it's a matter of being lazy, I think it's a corrupt government like most of the world (inlcuding our own) that doesn't want to put the money into building the proper facilites.

mikeswift said:
I don't think it's a matter of being lazy, I think it's a corrupt government like most of the world (inlcuding our own) that doesn't want to put the money into building the proper facilites.
and we all know you gotta have deep wallets to deal with the IFBB.

mikeswift said:

If it is corrupt government, then it is the local city government that we're talking about because if it had been located in Sao Paulo, they wouldn't have had problems getting the building up to code. My wife has never wanted to go up to Rio because of the reputation they have there. (She's from just south of Sao Paulo, Brazil in the Parana state.)

Back