Brian Shaw’s Mixed Martial Arts Debut Postponed

Muscle Insider

Four-time World’s Strongest Man (WSM) Brian Shaw was scheduled to make his MMA debut on Feb. 17, 2024, in Lusail Stadium in Qatar, but the event has been postponed. Shaw confirmed the postponement on his YouTube channel on Monday, Feb. 12, 2024, announcing that the fight would not occur due to a contract breach. Listen to Shaw’s full statement on the matter below: [Related:...
The post Brian Shaw’s Mixed Martial Arts Debut Postponed appeared first on BarBend.

Four-time World’s Strongest Man (WSM) Brian Shaw was scheduled to make his MMA debut on Feb. 17, 2024, in Lusail Stadium in Qatar, but the event has been postponed.

Shaw confirmed the postponement on his YouTube channel on Monday, Feb. 12, 2024, announcing that the fight would not occur due to a contract breach. Listen to Shaw’s full statement on the matter below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqBtQ5yjwIVideo can’t be loaded because JavaScript is disabled: THE FIGHT IS CANCELLED (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqBtQ5yjwI)

[Related: Brian Shaw Uses Hydrostatic Submersion Testing to Learn His Body Fat Percentage]

Contracts Not Met

Shaw was amidst his training a week before his scheduled fight, training different skills during his preparation, from ground control to energy conservation. After some striking and grappling work, Shaw shared that his fight was canceled due to a breach of contract (details not given). Shaw expressed being “frustrated and pissed off.”

According to reports from Generation Iron and Essentially Sports, the Shaw vs. Martyn Ford MMA card was set to feature 2017 WSM Eddie Hall versus reigning WSM Mitchell Hooper. The reports claim that the Hooper made it known on his Instagram story that the fight was called off because promoters reduced the contracted payout from $30 million each to $3 million.

Shaw’s Emotions About the Cancellation

“At a certain point, we just have to get some answers. I want to do it. I’m ready to do it and training to do it, so let’s do it,” said Shaw. “I’m proud of the way that I committed and proud of being committed to this 100 percent. When things like this happen, you have to take a step back and take a deep breath.”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Derek Wolfe (@derekwolfe_95)

[/quote]

“This is hugely disappointing to me because at this point, for the last five months, I dove in head first. I’ve committed myself to being as prepared as possible for this fight.” Shaw added that he’s had amazing coaches who have taken him under their wing to prepare him for the level he’s at today. Shaw’s frustration was also partly that preparing for this fight came with the opportunity cost of time away from his businesses and family.

Despite the postponement, Shaw sought the silver lining of learning new skills, working with a team of exceptional coaches, and improving his conditioning. Admittedly, Shaw said he signed up for the fight mainly because of the financial security it would offer him and his family.

According to the event’s official website, the 2024 Finishers Championship Qatar on Feb. 17 is still on, except without Shaw and the other strongmen initially scheduled to compete.

Featured image: @shawstrength on Instagram

The post Brian Shaw’s Mixed Martial Arts Debut Postponed appeared first on BarBend.

Click here to view the article.

Back