Building up legs w/o squatting?

cenzo78

I know its like trying to build a big chest without benching, but any type of squat murders my knees. Smith, free, hammer strength all jack my knees up bad. However I can go pretty heavy on the plate loaded leg press where you push the weight up on an angle. Extensions dont really bother me, and ham curls feel no pain. Is it possible to build respectable size without squats?

in opposed to kicking squats out all together just try a different approach

if your knees really bother you that bad try a few things to help warm the area up and get
the blood flowin...

strech before workouts
do plenty of hams warm ups (working the back of the knee first is a smart move with knee pain)
avoid a narrow stance and always point toes outward
try to buy a titanum brace for added support

I used to hate squats because they killed my knees, but then I learned how to squat properly. If you're not sticking your ass out for the first motion of the squat then you're going to wreck your knees. Too many people just drop the weight instead of sitting back. It's kind of like sitting on the toilet. If you watch an adult squat down and then watch an infant squat down, it's crazy how poorly we go through the movement, but are born with the knowledge to do it right. A baby sits back before they squat down, it's quite impressive, but sad that we get out of that mindset because it feels awkward, but it's the right movement ...

I don't think there's much you can do to really build your legs without squats, but like Perfect said, just really warm up the knees

try weighted step-ups and lunges. But yeah I would think you could build your legs without squating. On the leg press use different feet placements.

i have been taking a few extra sets to warm up lately and its not as bad. I do 3 different foot positions on the leg press, leg extensions, and curls.

I will try weighted step ups and lunges.

I know its like trying to build a big chest without benching, but any type of squat murders my knees. Smith, free, hammer strength all jack my knees up bad. However I can go pretty heavy on the plate loaded leg press where you push the weight up on an angle. Extensions dont really bother me, and ham curls feel no pain. Is it possible to build respectable size without squats?

Not only is it possible to build respetable legs without squatting, but you can build MONSTEROUS legs without squatting. I for one was always a squatter myself however i have seen loads of pro bodybuilding videos and some of those guys say they dont go near squat rack for fear of knee injury and they have incredible legs, so yes bro its very possible.

As I said above i personaly always squatted, but now i cant because of my two knees both needing replacements so now i just do other stuff, i know its different as im now maintaining what i got from squats but i know for a fact u can build great legs without squatting

In a word, yes. Check out any of the cyclists in the tour de france this year. Those guys are 150lbs or less and have legs the size of a 220lb bodybuilder! Pretty sure they are not squatting, lol.
I think squats for most people probably is the best, but there is enough other stuff out there to hit your quads, and probably more directly. I know the leg press KILLS my quads if I get enough weight on it because it isolates them more.
When I do squats now, I do a "pussy" range of motion on them. People can talk shit or say whatever they want, it works. I go to just above parallel and then don't lock out. FOR ME, this ROM hits my quads hard but takes out some of the hams and lower back.

This is all very very good news.. Im almost happy to be doing legs again in a regular rotation. I was in fear they would never grow. I kept comparing it to chest and I know damn well if all i ever do is flies and pullovers, chest would be shit.

imo, you dont need squats for legs or flat bench for chest.
if you can do them, great. but they arent required.

I squat but it kills my back and I do it correct. I don't squat as much as I used to and still get a great leg workout. I switch between different leg press moves. I use the standard leg press, but have found and really like a leg press made by Free Motion. It seems to work better than the regular angled leg press.

Sprints, and running hills and stairs. They build the joints of the legs and hips as well as work the piss out of them. Do them on and off and your knees may be able to handle squats again.

I think sqauts need to be done even if you have to lighten up the weight and do more reps. I have tried to build decent legs without squats because of bad knees but without success.

No squat for me, I just had knee surgery , just started back light on legs and the knee hurts for 2-3 days'! I'm going to start wrapping them and then il see how that goes. Where there's a will there's a way! I will get my legs! Lol

Last edited:
No squat for me, I just had knee surgery , just started back light on legs and the knee hurts for 2-3 days'! I'm going to start wrapping them and then il see how that goes. Where there's a will there's a way! I will get my legs! Lol

you in physical therapy also bro? and how long ago was ur surgery and what kind of surgery was it? Just a scope?

I think sqauts need to be done even if you have to lighten up the weight and do more reps. I have tried to build decent legs without squats because of bad knees but without success.

I agree, but only because I can't personally grow without squats, but some people can grow by simply looking at weights, or so it seems

you in physical therapy also bro? and how long ago was ur surgery and what kind of surgery was it? Just a scope?

well my insurance didnt want to pay for physical therapy, they gave me this machine to bend it. mid november i had the surgery, and the best part was they sent me home with a infection after they ''scope'' it for 6hrs!! well aleast thats how long i was under. when under 2 more times after that to make sure they got it all out, my meniscus was tore all the way around they said, done with the pick line and meds, lost 30lbs. but hey back up in wieght feeling good got back in the gym put wieght back on , about to start some more test igf and gh! hopefully the gh igf and npp helps....... :cardio::bench::weight:

Back