Cardio before or after training?

big in vegas

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
I've always done it after, but I know a few people who swear by doing it before to get a good sweat going on in addition to getting their body warmed up. Are there any proven theories of it being better one way or another? I always loosen up before lifting, but I'm more or less using it to build endurance so wasn't sure if it would actually hinder working out if I did it before

if not in the morning I do it after. There are more studies that I've heard of that say after is better but shit who knows.

Yea I know for fat burning purposes first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the way to go, but I'm not trying to burn fat just trying to get back into shape. I can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded from smoking, but now that I've kicked that I just want to be able to breathe and not need an oxygen tank after any physical activity

If you do it before IMO you are just burning off glycogen that could be used for training. However, I like doing cardio on off days or as far away from my training as possible so I really don't do it before or after anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I know for fat burning purposes first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the way to go, but I'm not trying to burn fat just trying to get back into shape. I can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded from smoking, but now that I've kicked that I just want to be able to breathe and not need an oxygen tank after any physical activity

For getting in shape, go to a track and run timed 440's. First couple of weeks you should be able to take at least 2 seconds off each run per session.

If you do it before IMO you are just burning off glycogen that could be used for training. However, I like doing cardio on off days or as far away from my training as possible so I really don't do it before or after anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

For getting in shape, go to a track and run timed 440's. First couple of weeks you should be able to take at least 2 seconds off each run per session.

Bro if I ran down the road the street I'd be in an ambulance hook to an oxygen tank. I'm like a baby learning how to walk but hasn't quite gotten crawling down yet lol

I recently got into running and always do it after training. Last month I ran every day for 30 days straight. (well, except for 1 day due to work). My original goal was to run 40 miles, but I ended up with almost 70 miles total for the month. It gets easier over time. Start with 1/2 to 1 mile. Then every few days do a little bit more. I started off with 1 mile runs and by the end of the month was able to comfortably run 4 miles @ 8:30-9:00 min/mile pace. The key is to keep at it and to run as often as possible.

Back