Cheap food for building.

Glen Whitestone

I have a large grocery bill I have been trying to cap. I saw some ideas in a recent bodlybuilding mag but I have already gone shopping a read labels and crap before that article was written. I also will include some easy food options I do for like a pre-workout meal when I have no time to cook. If you eat 5 times a day like me cooking love it or hate it gets a little old.

Canned pink salmon-cheap, don;t have to cook it, eat it plain or use it in a salad-mix it with pasta, olive oil and fresh vegetables.
Canned Tuna always works.
Eggs-cheap protein if you don't mind cutting some of the worst farts-never eat these before leg day! If you are pressed for time hard boil some at night, grab them in the a.m. for a quick start to breakfast.
Plain oatmeal-If you don't mind eating something with the consistency of puke its good for carbs, healthy and won't hurt the budget-pick up the plain shit in a huge container for cheaper than portioned packets of the flavored varietly.
Instant brown rice-what can be easier-in expensive.
Pasta-always cheap-Grab some olive oil and pan sear some garlic in the oil to throw on top. I usually cook a pound and then divide it in to little side dishes to go with my canned fish.
Sardines if you can stomach them are good-Cheap and no cooking involved.
Tired of spending over 7 bucks on lunch each day? Buy like two pounds of turkey breast, ham, lean roast beef or other non-fatty cold cuts. Go for the ones on sale and then make some sandwiches to take with you. Nice and bland-try adding some sweep peppers or something to give them flavor.
skirt steak-a bit fatty but a cheap, flavorful cut of meat you can marinate or season and it cooks up well, always tender.
Cottage cheese-easy, good protein before bed.

Oh yeah, and if you drink shakes like I do always shop on line for them. You can compare prices and get shit much cheaper than in stores-about 20% less. Only takes a few days to deliver.

Great post! That pretty much is my grocery list, except for the sardines and oatmeal. And definitely shop for your protein online...big savings. I also look for good deals on chicken breast too. Sometimes they will have those 8 breast packages for about $5 and I get about 10 to stock up.

Glen - what were your easy options for pre-workout meals? Or was that them?

My cheap food sources are plain oats and potatoes, I buy my chicken in bulk from a wholesaler and freeze it, the only thing I can't get cheap enough is steak so I limit my intake to one a day.
I would say you should make sure to buy a good quality protein powder some of the cheaper ones are junk

PJT-my post workout meal is usually just some carbs and protein. Carbs stop the cortisol. I usually have chicken-not bad in burger form. I usually score a 4 pac for cheap. Cook that on the electric grill and have it with some brown rice and a veg, or fruit. I usually get frozen vegetables-I have a steamer I cook them in-takes like 2 minutes. Another great idea is investing in a slow cooker. I drop some onion soup, tomato soup, potatoes, frozen carrots and beef cubes in. Do that when you come home from work, have your pre-workout meal, go pump some iron and when you get back the shits ready.

Online protein is good if you're buying in bulk otherwise the shipping will make it the same price if you were to buy it at GNC/Vitamin World, etc. Good post GW.

I'm poor.. and thought this list would come in handy for people other than just me.. lol .. everything is just too damn expensive anymore

You can buy it all from Sams or Costco which saves you a ton of money. As for cheap bulkers all you need is potatoes, chicken breast, green beans, egg beaters, oatmeal, etc. All cheap and easy and will add quality size.

also buy all your meat from a butcher shop or meat market
and purchase all vegtables from a produce market
you will be surprised on how much cheaper and a better quality it is

Stickler* said:
.. everything is just too damn expensive anymore
i know, we will have to start bootlegging cattle to keep the redmeat intake up.

i work for a major gocery chain and even thogh its a pain to shop every couple days, you really save the most money because 1) alot of stores reduce prices daily on fresh items like meat and if you have a freezer you can through it in there till you need it 2) take advantage of changing ad prices which happens at least every week 3) if your local store takes competitiors ads or matches prices take advantage of that is huge 4) if somethings on sale you want get a rain check, its good forever and locks in that price for you whenever you choose to use it 5) if you use fruit in shakes or like to freeze it for shakes talk to your produce dept. about selling already ripe fruit at a discount, things like bannanas freeze well and most stores only sell then when there green 6) by bulk from the bins where its priced per lb. you save a ton of money on quick snacks like nuts and dried fruits if your not paying for the packaging.

Back