Chris Bumstead Compares Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Era to Now, Teases Open Show: “Definitely Have Thought About It”

Muscle Insider

Classic Physique star Chris Bumstead has made it clear he plans to defend his title at Olympia later this year but refuses to discount a future move to the Men’s Open division. In a recent interview with Chris Williamson, Bumstead discussed what it would take to switch categories. He also compared the standards of today’s Classic Physique division to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s bodybuilding era.
In 2019, Chris Bumstead seized the Classic Physique throne at the Olympia show after defeating his rival, two-time champ, Breon Ansley. Since taking the honors, Bumstead has been on a roll at bodybuilding contests. His display of muscle striations and dry conditioning combined with his tall frame make him an incredibly dangerous competitor.
Cbum is a four-time Classic Physique Olympia, a successful reign he has made possible with hard work, dedication, and grueling training sessions. His last win came at the 2022 Olympia competition. The victory left fans speechless as Bumstead conquered the stage with a torn bicep.

Previously, Bumstead teased a potential move into the Men’s Open. In 2022, before they started training together, Bumstead told Hany Rambod that if he did try out the Open, it would be for a ‘one-off’ contest. In 2023, Bumstead approached the subject again. In a podcast with Rambod, Chris said if the Arnold Classic was two or three weeks after Olympia, he’d consider competing at the show as an Open Bodybuilder.
The 28-year-old has also discussed competing against a prime Arnold Schwarzenegger. Bumstead mentioned on the Full Send Podcast that he would defeat Schwarzenegger today if the Austrian legend presented the physique he won Olympia with. Since making the claim, a number of bodybuilding veterans have disagreed, like Lee Priest.
“Everything Progresses Over Time” – Chris Bumstead Compares Classic Physique of Today to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Golden Era
Bumstead believes the Open and Classic Physique categories have progressed over time with more ‘efficient’ diets, nutrition, and PEDs.

“Everything progresses over time, we get more efficient with nutrition, with dieting with PEDs, with rest, with recovery, everything just gets more efficient and everything excels. You just push the limits further and further. So, now, I mean… Open Bodybuilding just you look at it and you don’t even question if it’s the same sport, pretty much.
No weight limits, dude’s are on stage at 300 pounds like 3% body fat just fucking monsters. Like huge. Stuff you can’t even fathom. When I see them in person still I’m like wow, that’s a real person which is insane. But back in the Arnold days, it was purely like bigger upper bodies, legs weren’t massive, you weren’t shredded, it was more about being full and round and aesthetic, which is what Classic Physique was brought in for.”
The main difference between Arnold’s era versus modern Classic Physique is the level of leanness required to be competitive today.
“Even still, the contrast from Classic Physique versus the Arnold era, it’s way leaner now. It’s getting just as lean as the Open bodybuilders. It’s like shredded glutes, your ass is striated at the end of the day, feathered quads, just looks like you have no body fat on you. And probably about the same weight. I think Arnold was 240 on stage approximately and my weight cap is 240, I’m 239 when I weigh in,” said Chris Bumstead.
While Cbum would have loved to test himself against Schwarzenegger, he’s happy to be competing in the current era.
“No. I never really thought of that honestly. I really think this era right now fits perfectly where I’m meant to be and obviously it’s working out pretty fucking great so far. I don’t tempt fate with that I’m just grateful for where I’m at.”
Bumstead on Move to Open: “I Would Love to Just See What It Looks Like On Stage”
According to Bumstead, he’s been thinking about testing his resolve in the Open but said there are no shows after the Olympia that he’s interested in competing at.
“Definitely have thought about it [competing in the Open]. But there’s no Open shows after the Olympia there’s like one in Japan but I would want to do like a decent show. I’d rather stack up against a top-ten Olympian.”
It depends on the show. If you were to put me in the Olympia, if you put me in the Olympia the way I look in Classic right now I don’t think I would hit the top ten but I think if I was able to be a little bit less leaner and fuller because I always have to diet down five pounds of muscle just to make weight so if I was able to be full as fuck, sometimes I’m in my check in pictures four weeks out and I have a high-carb day, I’m like, ‘I look like a bodybuilder right now this is crazy.’
With one year of preparation, Bumstead is convinced he could finish in the top 15 at the Mr. Olympia.

“I would love to just see what this looks like on stage, give me a year and I could be top 15 at the Mr. Olympia,” said Bumstead.
If he were to attempt a move to the Open class, Bumstead said his training wouldn’t change but his food and PEDs would.
“I’ll cycle my calories, if I start to get too fat I pull it back down. I would just have to lean into that fat. I wouldn’t be fat-fat but I like being lean consistently, lean enough so I feel good. I’d have to put on a lot of weight and eat consistently, my training would be the exact same it would mainly be food and little more PEDs of course.”
Bumstead revealed that he tried to increase his height for Classic Physique by purchasing an inversion table. He believes Classic Physique is essentially a battle to be taller for added weight.
“I tried [to buy an inversion table to increase my height]. Yeah, I did, but I didn’t put it together. I went to a chiropractor consistently, and they have a machine that stretches your spine. It pulls it. It looks like it [a torture device]. You like sit in this machine upright and then it tilts you down and you have a thing around your waist that pulls your spine. I did that for a while, I’m just over 6’1? so I’d have to grow a full inch to be over 6’2? I would never do it but I also don’t want to shrink.”
“Classic Physique is just a battle to be taller essentially, to make your weight.”
Lastly, Bumstead commented on his lowest body fat percentage. He’s not certain but believes the range is between 4-5%.
“I haven’t [checked my body fat] no. I haven’t even tried to guess because everyone on the internet is like, ‘Oh!”
“If I had to guess I think it would I would be around four or five percent if I had to be conservative,” said Bumstead. “Yeah, a little bit. My structure would kind of make up for it [lack of conditioning and more fullness].”
Bumstead has been open with fans ahead of his anticipated title defense at 2023 Olympia. In preparation for the event, Bumstead has shared diets and has even gone into detail about common morning routines he utilizes in the off-season versus contest prep.
Given his impact on the industry, many are curious about which exercises Bumstead uses to build his Olympia-caliber body. In a prior interview with Chris Williamson, Bumstead revealed the ten exercises he would utilize for the rest of his life if he had to. His list ignited discussions online, which prompted others to offer their top 10 lists, such as Jeff Cavaliere and Nick Walker.
In three months, Bumstead will aim to solidify himself as a five-time Classic Physique Olympia. Despite his commitment to the division, Bumstead continues to tease a possible move over to the Open class.
READ MORE:

Watch the full video from the Chris Williamson YouTube channel below:

Published: 28 July, 2023 | 12:41 AM EDT

Chris-Bumstead-Compares-Arnold-Schwarzenegger.jpg
Classic Physique star Chris Bumstead has made it clear he plans to defend his title at Olympia later this year but refuses to discount a future move to the Men’s Open division. In a recent interview with Chris Williamson, Bumstead discussed what it would take to switch categories. He also compared the standards of today’s Classic Physique division to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s bodybuilding era.

In 2019, Chris Bumstead seized the Classic Physique throne at the Olympia show after defeating his rival, two-time champ, Breon Ansley. Since taking the honors, Bumstead has been on a roll at bodybuilding contests. His display of muscle striations and dry conditioning combined with his tall frame make him an incredibly dangerous competitor.

Cbum is a four-time Classic Physique Olympia, a successful reign he has made possible with hard work, dedication, and grueling training sessions. His last win came at the 2022 Olympia competition. The victory left fans speechless as Bumstead conquered the stage with a torn bicep.

Previously, Bumstead teased a potential move into the Men’s Open. In 2022, before they started training together, Bumstead told Hany Rambod that if he did try out the Open, it would be for a ‘one-off’ contest. In 2023, Bumstead approached the subject again. In a podcast with Rambod, Chris said if the Arnold Classic was two or three weeks after Olympia, he’d consider competing at the show as an Open Bodybuilder.

The 28-year-old has also discussed competing against a prime Arnold Schwarzenegger. Bumstead mentioned on the Full Send Podcast that he would defeat Schwarzenegger today if the Austrian legend presented the physique he won Olympia with. Since making the claim, a number of bodybuilding veterans have disagreed, like Lee Priest.

“Everything Progresses Over Time” – Chris Bumstead Compares Classic Physique of Today to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Golden Era
Bumstead believes the Open and Classic Physique categories have progressed over time with more ‘efficient’ diets, nutrition, and PEDs.

“Everything progresses over time, we get more efficient with nutrition, with dieting with PEDs, with rest, with recovery, everything just gets more efficient and everything excels. You just push the limits further and further. So, now, I mean… Open Bodybuilding just you look at it and you don’t even question if it’s the same sport, pretty much.

No weight limits, dude’s are on stage at 300 pounds like 3% body fat just fucking monsters. Like huge. Stuff you can’t even fathom. When I see them in person still I’m like wow, that’s a real person which is insane. But back in the Arnold days, it was purely like bigger upper bodies, legs weren’t massive, you weren’t shredded, it was more about being full and round and aesthetic, which is what Classic Physique was brought in for.”

[/quote]
The main difference between Arnold’s era versus modern Classic Physique is the level of leanness required to be competitive today.

“Even still, the contrast from Classic Physique versus the Arnold era, it’s way leaner now. It’s getting just as lean as the Open bodybuilders. It’s like shredded glutes, your ass is striated at the end of the day, feathered quads, just looks like you have no body fat on you. And probably about the same weight. I think Arnold was 240 on stage approximately and my weight cap is 240, I’m 239 when I weigh in,” said Chris Bumstead.

[/quote]
While Cbum would have loved to test himself against Schwarzenegger, he’s happy to be competing in the current era.

“No. I never really thought of that honestly. I really think this era right now fits perfectly where I’m meant to be and obviously it’s working out pretty fucking great so far. I don’t tempt fate with that I’m just grateful for where I’m at.”

[/quote]
Bumstead on Move to Open: “I Would Love to Just See What It Looks Like On Stage”
According to Bumstead, he’s been thinking about testing his resolve in the Open but said there are no shows after the Olympia that he’s interested in competing at.

“Definitely have thought about it [competing in the Open]. But there’s no Open shows after the Olympia there’s like one in Japan but I would want to do like a decent show. I’d rather stack up against a top-ten Olympian.”

It depends on the show. If you were to put me in the Olympia, if you put me in the Olympia the way I look in Classic right now I don’t think I would hit the top ten but I think if I was able to be a little bit less leaner and fuller because I always have to diet down five pounds of muscle just to make weight so if I was able to be full as fuck, sometimes I’m in my check in pictures four weeks out and I have a high-carb day, I’m like, ‘I look like a bodybuilder right now this is crazy.’

[/quote]
With one year of preparation, Bumstead is convinced he could finish in the top 15 at the Mr. Olympia.

“I would love to just see what this looks like on stage, give me a year and I could be top 15 at the Mr. Olympia,” said Bumstead.

[/quote]
If he were to attempt a move to the Open class, Bumstead said his training wouldn’t change but his food and PEDs would.

“I’ll cycle my calories, if I start to get too fat I pull it back down. I would just have to lean into that fat. I wouldn’t be fat-fat but I like being lean consistently, lean enough so I feel good. I’d have to put on a lot of weight and eat consistently, my training would be the exact same it would mainly be food and little more PEDs of course.”

[/quote]
Bumstead revealed that he tried to increase his height for Classic Physique by purchasing an inversion table. He believes Classic Physique is essentially a battle to be taller for added weight.

“I tried [to buy an inversion table to increase my height]. Yeah, I did, but I didn’t put it together. I went to a chiropractor consistently, and they have a machine that stretches your spine. It pulls it. It looks like it [a torture device]. You like sit in this machine upright and then it tilts you down and you have a thing around your waist that pulls your spine. I did that for a while, I’m just over 6’1? so I’d have to grow a full inch to be over 6’2? I would never do it but I also don’t want to shrink.”

“Classic Physique is just a battle to be taller essentially, to make your weight.”

[/quote]
Lastly, Bumstead commented on his lowest body fat percentage. He’s not certain but believes the range is between 4-5%.

“I haven’t [checked my body fat] no. I haven’t even tried to guess because everyone on the internet is like, ‘Oh!”

“If I had to guess I think it would I would be around four or five percent if I had to be conservative,” said Bumstead. “Yeah, a little bit. My structure would kind of make up for it [lack of conditioning and more fullness].”

[/quote]
Bumstead has been open with fans ahead of his anticipated title defense at 2023 Olympia. In preparation for the event, Bumstead has shared diets and has even gone into detail about common morning routines he utilizes in the off-season versus contest prep.

Given his impact on the industry, many are curious about which exercises Bumstead uses to build his Olympia-caliber body. In a prior interview with Chris Williamson, Bumstead revealed the ten exercises he would utilize for the rest of his life if he had to. His list ignited discussions online, which prompted others to offer their top 10 lists, such as Jeff Cavaliere and Nick Walker.

In three months, Bumstead will aim to solidify himself as a five-time Classic Physique Olympia. Despite his commitment to the division, Bumstead continues to tease a possible move over to the Open class.

READ MORE:

Watch the full video from the Chris Williamson YouTube channel below:

Published: 28 July, 2023 | 12:41 AM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back