Classic Shawn 10 Questions With Shawn Ray December 2022 Edition

Muscle Insider

Classic Shawn
10 Questions With Shawn Ray

1. How young is too young to start bodybuilding?

I personally started lifting weights around 16 years old and competed at 17. That said, weight training for most is a “teenage thing” as we grow into our bodies and figure out how the correlation of strength and muscles work synergistically, together as one. Sone of my friends start early in their teens like 13. It’s my belief that it’s not when you start but knowing what you’re doing once you start. Lifting weights has a science to it and works with other factors if you expect to achieve a specific result from engaging in it. Proper nutrition, rest and recovery are essential elements involved in muscle growth and strength development. It’s doubtful a prepubescent kid would be able to digest all the mechanics of the cause and effects from weight training at such a young age to consciously build muscle for competition.

2. When you were competing, how important was it to check your body fat, measurements and bodyweight?

Never. I never measured anything, for that matter. I stood on a scale randomly at different times, but knowing full well that my weight was not a measurement of my appearance or progress so I never put a lot of stock into it. My overall appearance is where I focused my attention while training, dieting and posing. My personal body fat levels were not a part of the judging criteria so I never had to invest time or energy there. Measurements were not related to my body of work so I simply never cared about how big or small certain parts of my anatomy were – and instead paid attention to what I felt was important – and that was a constant mindset I had during my career so as to not get sidetracked on my way to prepping a contest-ready physique that was complete and balanced.

3. It’s true you never had a prep coach, so what did you do the final day before the contest? What did that look like for you when you headed into the Olympia?

My journey through bodybuilding has been one of trial and error. I used my teenage introductory years as my place of experimentation and three short years removed from high school graduation in 1984, I turned pro in 1987 by winning the Overall NPC National Championships. I relied heavily on not doing anything drastic or experimental if I looked a certain way a couple weeks out.If it’s not broke, don’t try to fix it. I knew that what I saw in the mirror is what the judges would see. If I were a tad soft and watery, I’d increase my cardio and drop my carb intake while drinking more water. Practice posing more, squeezing the muscles as part of my preparation. On the day of the show I’d have small meals with little water intake so I would not spill over, get bloated and fill up too much. Too much food resides in the belly, which is the focal point of the physique. Filling up on foods the body can’t digest only causes the athlete to struggle with a full stomach, which affects not just the appearance of the abs but the labor in catching your breath while posing. Eat light, don’t introduce weird food or liquids at the last minute that could affect your appearance, breathing and muscle control.

4. You’ve met some amazing people in your travels and career. Can you share one of those experiences?

I remember going to a show Jay Cutler was promoting in Las Vegas and I had the chance to sit down with rapper/actor Ice-T. It was like we were old friends; he said he had followed my career in the magazines along with Flex and Chris Cormier back in the day. His girl was watching the show because she was thinking about competing and he was just chillin’. I like that the sport is so international and crosses into so many different professions. He was as thrilled to meet me as I was meeting him, mutual respect for our work, felt good knowing how badass he is!

5. During your travels, have you seen any cool places or things?

Have I? I’ve been extremely blessed to have fallen in love with bodybuilding that I’m constantly amazed how far-reaching this sport is. Not only meeting great people, but seeing amazing things constantly brings me back to a place of gratitude for the Weider brothers, IFBB Pro League President, Jim Manion and Jake Wood, owner of the Olympia Fitness and Performance Weekend, for continuing the vision and expansion.

I’ve been to many places and seen many things, which is partially why I’m still here following and building my passion in Peru, Germany, Egypt, Brazil, India, Japan, Sri Lanka, Italy, Australia, China, England, Africa, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, Kuwait, Dubai and more!!

6. I’ve read in the past how important your father was to you as far as an influence yet you hated working for him; can you elaborate?

Yes, my father was my role model. The sun rose and set with him as far as I was concerned. My dad passed away July 27, 2010 at a time where I was just settling into life after bodybuilding. It’s true, I retired from competing in 2001 but I was still very active in the sport while having two little girls and building a life after the sport, which was supposed to allow more time with pops. As the saying goes, I turned out to be just like him in many ways: busy working, providing, traveling, etc. I blinked and nine years into my retirement, my dad was gone. Being the son of a civil engineer who served our country in the U.S. Air Force, a husband, a father of eight and the owner of a successful janitorial business was in hindsight a luxury for me. My dad was able to work and attend all my football games, drop by my school to check on me, take me to karate practice and find time stop by the gym to watch me kill my workouts, which provided a lot of mental support for me. While in my youth going to work with my dad and cleaning was a form of bonding, I grew to despise the work because as I grew it interfered with things I wanted to do when I wanted to do them, which caused some friction in my teenage years that drove me deeper into the sport of bodybuilding as a possible escape route from cleaning. Hindsight is 20/20, that work ethic from cleaning was carried over into bodybuilding where I paid attention to detail not to mention I became a clean freak, which made pops proud I’m certain.

7. I see your posts on social media and see that you’re out riding your bike at the beach and showing your supplement usage. How’s your fitness these days?

Yes, living near the beach has a way of dragging you outdoors! I used to drive to the gym to do cardio on the treadmill or Lifecycle, but these days I ride my beach cruiser at the beach and drop by the gym for light stretching and exercise. Training isn’t something my body needs at my age; maintenance and exercise is something my body always needs plus I like to eat and I’m active. The new MUTANT FLEX FOOD MRP is right on time because I no longer eat six meals a day. My favorite pre-workout, ALL-IN, is just the right stuff at the right time in different flavors to keep my pep in step! I ride for miles up and down the coastline, sometimes with my daughter, listening to my favorite music and sometimes to the sound of nature hitting the shores of California!

8. Looks like not only has bodybuilding been good to you, but how is it being the father of three girls?

Thank you for asking. I love been a “Girl Dad!” My kids are 40, 17 and 14 and they’ve given me focus and purpose in my life, post bodybuilding. When I competed I focused on me and now my focus is on them, so it’s an interesting dynamic to switch my mindset of being selfishly focused to universally available when they need me. They ask for me and I drop everything; nothing is more important than simply showing up for them. I know how important being present is, being the youngest of two working parents. I couldn’t be more content and balanced with my three heartbeats.

9. It seems like the good old muscle-building supplement, creatine, has had a resurgence in the market.

It really has. What’s old is new again. A new generation is discovering what we all did back in the day. Creatine is an amazing muscle builder, very safe and a ton of studies to support it. MUTANT is known globally for their CREAKONG creatine product that I fully endorse. A really solid formula.

10. You’ve been bodybuilding and weight training since you were 18 years old. The body has gone through a lot. What does training look like for Shawn Ray these days?

Movement is key. Don’t get me wrong, I still like to hit the iron sometimes like the best of them. I exercise smartly now, more than heavy-duty weights. I listen to the body. A lot of days start with a black coffee or a half scoop of MUTANT ALL-IN pre-workout, then I hit cardio. Either the beach or a treadmill. Movement is key. Get up and start the day right. Whatever that looks like for you.

Instagram @shawnrayifbbpro
Facebook @TheRealShawnRay
shawnray.fitness
Twitter @sugarshawnray

NEW MUTANT ALL-IN
Shawn Ray Signature
Full Dose Pre-Workout

“This one is a game-changer. Lift big. Get big. It’s that simple. I have my signature on this product for a reason. It’s the culmination of a lifetime of training, nutrition and hard work all wrapped into one amazing formula. From the weight rack to the Olympia stage, I have always been ALL-IN. Now it’s your turn.”-Shawn Ray

For more information, visit iammutant.com

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMSSUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAYGET OFFICIAL MD STUFFVISIT OUR STORE

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAM YOUTUBE

x454111980-classic-shawn-slider.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.jnFnVFWzNI.jpg

Classic Shawn

10 Questions With Shawn Ray

1. How young is too young to start bodybuilding?

I personally started lifting weights around 16 years old and competed at 17. That said, weight training for most is a “teenage thing” as we grow into our bodies and figure out how the correlation of strength and muscles work synergistically, together as one. Sone of my friends start early in their teens like 13. It’s my belief that it’s not when you start but knowing what you’re doing once you start. Lifting weights has a science to it and works with other factors if you expect to achieve a specific result from engaging in it. Proper nutrition, rest and recovery are essential elements involved in muscle growth and strength development. It’s doubtful a prepubescent kid would be able to digest all the mechanics of the cause and effects from weight training at such a young age to consciously build muscle for competition.

2. When you were competing, how important was it to check your body fat, measurements and bodyweight?

Never. I never measured anything, for that matter. I stood on a scale randomly at different times, but knowing full well that my weight was not a measurement of my appearance or progress so I never put a lot of stock into it. My overall appearance is where I focused my attention while training, dieting and posing. My personal body fat levels were not a part of the judging criteria so I never had to invest time or energy there. Measurements were not related to my body of work so I simply never cared about how big or small certain parts of my anatomy were – and instead paid attention to what I felt was important – and that was a constant mindset I had during my career so as to not get sidetracked on my way to prepping a contest-ready physique that was complete and balanced.

x454112223-image0.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.ETa3aP69Sf.jpg

3. It’s true you never had a prep coach, so what did you do the final day before the contest? What did that look like for you when you headed into the Olympia?

My journey through bodybuilding has been one of trial and error. I used my teenage introductory years as my place of experimentation and three short years removed from high school graduation in 1984, I turned pro in 1987 by winning the Overall NPC National Championships. I relied heavily on not doing anything drastic or experimental if I looked a certain way a couple weeks out.If it’s not broke, don’t try to fix it. I knew that what I saw in the mirror is what the judges would see. If I were a tad soft and watery, I’d increase my cardio and drop my carb intake while drinking more water. Practice posing more, squeezing the muscles as part of my preparation. On the day of the show I’d have small meals with little water intake so I would not spill over, get bloated and fill up too much. Too much food resides in the belly, which is the focal point of the physique. Filling up on foods the body can’t digest only causes the athlete to struggle with a full stomach, which affects not just the appearance of the abs but the labor in catching your breath while posing. Eat light, don’t introduce weird food or liquids at the last minute that could affect your appearance, breathing and muscle control.

4. You’ve met some amazing people in your travels and career. Can you share one of those experiences?

I remember going to a show Jay Cutler was promoting in Las Vegas and I had the chance to sit down with rapper/actor Ice-T. It was like we were old friends; he said he had followed my career in the magazines along with Flex and Chris Cormier back in the day. His girl was watching the show because she was thinking about competing and he was just chillin’. I like that the sport is so international and crosses into so many different professions. He was as thrilled to meet me as I was meeting him, mutual respect for our work, felt good knowing how badass he is!

5. During your travels, have you seen any cool places or things?

Have I? I’ve been extremely blessed to have fallen in love with bodybuilding that I’m constantly amazed how far-reaching this sport is. Not only meeting great people, but seeing amazing things constantly brings me back to a place of gratitude for the Weider brothers, IFBB Pro League President, Jim Manion and Jake Wood, owner of the Olympia Fitness and Performance Weekend, for continuing the vision and expansion.

I’ve been to many places and seen many things, which is partially why I’m still here following and building my passion in Peru, Germany, Egypt, Brazil, India, Japan, Sri Lanka, Italy, Australia, China, England, Africa, Switzerland, Mexico, Canada, Kuwait, Dubai and more!!

x454112257-image4.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.uYhHG3mvqP.jpg

6. I’ve read in the past how important your father was to you as far as an influence yet you hated working for him; can you elaborate?

Yes, my father was my role model. The sun rose and set with him as far as I was concerned. My dad passed away July 27, 2010 at a time where I was just settling into life after bodybuilding. It’s true, I retired from competing in 2001 but I was still very active in the sport while having two little girls and building a life after the sport, which was supposed to allow more time with pops. As the saying goes, I turned out to be just like him in many ways: busy working, providing, traveling, etc. I blinked and nine years into my retirement, my dad was gone. Being the son of a civil engineer who served our country in the U.S. Air Force, a husband, a father of eight and the owner of a successful janitorial business was in hindsight a luxury for me. My dad was able to work and attend all my football games, drop by my school to check on me, take me to karate practice and find time stop by the gym to watch me kill my workouts, which provided a lot of mental support for me. While in my youth going to work with my dad and cleaning was a form of bonding, I grew to despise the work because as I grew it interfered with things I wanted to do when I wanted to do them, which caused some friction in my teenage years that drove me deeper into the sport of bodybuilding as a possible escape route from cleaning. Hindsight is 20/20, that work ethic from cleaning was carried over into bodybuilding where I paid attention to detail not to mention I became a clean freak, which made pops proud I’m certain.

7. I see your posts on social media and see that you’re out riding your bike at the beach and showing your supplement usage. How’s your fitness these days?

Yes, living near the beach has a way of dragging you outdoors! I used to drive to the gym to do cardio on the treadmill or Lifecycle, but these days I ride my beach cruiser at the beach and drop by the gym for light stretching and exercise. Training isn’t something my body needs at my age; maintenance and exercise is something my body always needs plus I like to eat and I’m active. The new MUTANT FLEX FOOD MRP is right on time because I no longer eat six meals a day. My favorite pre-workout, ALL-IN, is just the right stuff at the right time in different flavors to keep my pep in step! I ride for miles up and down the coastline, sometimes with my daughter, listening to my favorite music and sometimes to the sound of nature hitting the shores of California!

8. Looks like not only has bodybuilding been good to you, but how is it being the father of three girls?

Thank you for asking. I love been a “Girl Dad!” My kids are 40, 17 and 14 and they’ve given me focus and purpose in my life, post bodybuilding. When I competed I focused on me and now my focus is on them, so it’s an interesting dynamic to switch my mindset of being selfishly focused to universally available when they need me. They ask for me and I drop everything; nothing is more important than simply showing up for them. I know how important being present is, being the youngest of two working parents. I couldn’t be more content and balanced with my three heartbeats.

9. It seems like the good old muscle-building supplement, creatine, has had a resurgence in the market.

It really has. What’s old is new again. A new generation is discovering what we all did back in the day. Creatine is an amazing muscle builder, very safe and a ton of studies to support it. MUTANT is known globally for their CREAKONG creatine product that I fully endorse. A really solid formula.

10. You’ve been bodybuilding and weight training since you were 18 years old. The body has gone through a lot. What does training look like for Shawn Ray these days?

Movement is key. Don’t get me wrong, I still like to hit the iron sometimes like the best of them. I exercise smartly now, more than heavy-duty weights. I listen to the body. A lot of days start with a black coffee or a half scoop of MUTANT ALL-IN pre-workout, then I hit cardio. Either the beach or a treadmill. Movement is key. Get up and start the day right. Whatever that looks like for you.

Instagram @shawnrayifbbpro
Facebook @TheRealShawnRay
shawnray.fitness
Twitter @sugarshawnray

x454111983-mut-nm-210927-0940-md-madness-all-in-product-shot-flat.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.kxyatm1Xao.jpg

NEW MUTANT ALL-IN

Shawn Ray Signature

Full Dose Pre-Workout

“This one is a game-changer. Lift big. Get big. It’s that simple. I have my signature on this product for a reason. It’s the culmination of a lifetime of training, nutrition and hard work all wrapped into one amazing formula. From the weight rack to the Olympia stage, I have always been ALL-IN. Now it’s your turn.”-Shawn Ray

For more information, visit iammutant.com

x454112283-image5-1.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.cDrzULss30.jpg

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMS

SUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY

GET OFFICIAL MD STUFF

VISIT OUR STORE

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

YOUTUBE

x454112278-image5.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.10qLii3S9M.jpg