Classic Shawn: 10 Questions With Shawn Ray Oct 2022

Muscle Insider

Classic Shawn
10 Questions With Shawn Ray

1. We’ve noticed the past few years as Editor-in-Chief of DigitalMuscle.com website, you’ve covered a variety of topics in your writings. Most notably, you never miss paying homage to the bodybuilding and fitness athletes that have passed away every year, more specifically your article “Farewell to 2020 Iron Angels,” a great tribute to some amazing athletes.

Thank you, first of all. I feel it is my responsibility as a former athlete now working in the media to share the footprint of what these athletes leave behind for future athletes. While many of our sport’s crown jewels have been cut down in their prime, we must continue to be mindful that life in general is fragile and fleeting. Remembering these established athletes that inspire and motivate so many is the least of my responsibilities that always warms my heart. May they all continue to rest in peace. Please visit https://www.digitalmuscle.com/master-archive/2021-farewell-to-2020-ironangels/

2. Finally it’s been publicized officially that the former 212 Olympia champion, Shaun Clarida, is now gunning for his title back as a Mutant-sponsored athlete. Tell me how that will help his cause?

Most pro athletes dream of joining a team that will support and accentuate their journey. Shaun came to the right place in terms of a strong support network, quality products he can use on day one that will pay dividends by showtime, and he now has access to mentorship he may not have had in the past from someone who’s been where he is going with respect to doing the business of bodybuilding! Mutant CEO Jim McMahonnow has the sport’s tallest pro at nearly 6-foot-5 with Jamie “The Giant” Christian from England as well as one the sport’s shortest with one of the best 212 champions in Shaun “The Giant Killer” Clarida at what, 5-foot-5?

3. I see you’re heading back to England in September for the Arnold Classic UK; what’s happening?

It’s been a minute since I was last in the UK. As a matter fact, the last time I was there I was master of ceremonies for the Amateur Olympia in the city of Liverpool some five or six years ago. So I’m really looking forward to heading back to the home city of six-time Mr. Olympia, Dorian Yates in Birmingham, where I’ll be working with Team Mutant at the Arnold Classic UK Expo, as well as appearing at a “meet and greet” at the Ultimate Fitness gym owned by Simon Fan on Thursday, September 22nd.

4. With all the new guys qualified for this year’s Mr. Olympia, do you think there’s a bit of “water down” effect or will we be looking at the same final six?

That’s hard to say because you’re right, there’s a lot of new faces in new names coming up in the form of Blessing, Mohamed, Hassan, Griffin, Samson Andrew Jacked and newer guys like Ian, Antoine, Hunter and Nick!It’s my belief that some veteran Olympians are gonna be looking over their shoulders as some of these new guys coming in try to make a statement! We may be witnessing a possible changing of the guard and an ushering in of the next generation of Olympians!

5. There’s a lot of conversation about Arnold Schwarzenegger dropping divisions from the 2023 Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus, Ohio: Women’s Physique, 212 and Women’s Pro Figure. Do know the reasons why or have any insight?

Well first, as a Pro/Am Contest promoter myself, picking the divisions I want to host at my show is a right that we all have individually to choose. There’s never been a mandate that we have to hold certain divisions at competitions that we promote as promoters. I can remember as far back as 1989, when Arnold had the very first Arnold Classic show, there was only men’s bodybuilding and women’s bodybuilding. In the last 35 years, we’ve seen the Arnold Classic grow that weekend from maybe 2,000 spectators to nearly 200,000 spectators with over 22,000 athletes participating in various events. So if we see some divisions being dropped, other divisions being added is no biggie. The expo has continuously expanded inclusive of other disciplines of physical fitness, and I’m all for it without complaint or reservation that this year’s show will be bigger and better than any other year in spite of certain divisions not being on the platform.

6. Do you think you can predict the top six of the Mr. Olympia this year at this stage?

Predictions are nothing I’ve ever been known for however, I have an opinion on who I think will possibly be the last seven on stage. In no particular order: Hunter, Ramy, Curry, Andrew, Hadi, Nick and Lundsford. Let the haters chime in! Lol. I think at this point, these guys are the front-runners in 2022. Now that could change due to injury, sickness or timing but from my cheap seat at home, I have a feeling these names will be in the final callout.

7. The bigger question is, what ever happened to Roelly, Kuclo, De asha and Regan?

Well, regarding Roelly, I believe he’s seen his best days and possibly moving on into the next phase of his life. I haven’t heard a peep regarding any contest prep so I’d be surprised to see him on stage anytime soon. Steve Kuclo I believe chose the wrong show to try and qualify at. Two years in a row he simply got outplayed. I think he would have been smarter to choose the Toronto or California Pro but some guys simply like doing shows where they don’t have to travel and can stay close to home, and it might have bit him in the ass. He still has a shot in October at the Legion Pro Olympia qualifier show in Reno, Nevada but I’m not sure if that is in his plans. Nathan De asha won last year’s Arnold UK. It will be interesting if he shows up this year to defend his title because I heard rookie pro Andrew Jacked, who just won the Texas Pro, will be there and if he is, I have him winning that show in my book – leaving Nathan as the odd man out along with Kuclo this December at the Olympia.

8. Rumor has it that Derek Lunsford is going Open in the Mr. Olympia this year. Is this a smart move for the defending 212 champion of a year ago?

I not only think it’s a smart move, I think if he does move up that it represents growth! A larger and bigger version of last year will fit in nicely on the Open Olympia state. I’m hoping that Derek sees that sucking down to 212 pounds would require him losing a lot of hard-earned off-season muscle, very similar to what seven-time 212 champion James “Flex” Lewis was doing for many years, not allowing us to see how great he truly could’ve been against the best men on the planet in the Open division. Derek winning the 212 again will do nothing for his legacy, as Flex Lewis would still have five more 212 titles in the bank. However, if Derek moves up I believe he’s a bona fide top-four competitor who’s bigger than last year and most likely more impressive than the veterans already there offering little change to their already matured and maxed-out physiques.

9. Apparently MUTANT’s gainer product, MUTANT Mass, just won an award overseas for gainer of the year?

Now eight years running, actually! One of our great distribution partners overseas, Naskor, votes on these annually. MUTANT Mass is the top choice now for eight years. A dynasty! Seriously though, Mass is a fantastic product especially for young athletes looking to put on weight. Clean, whole-food sources, great-quality protein and much lower in sugar than most in the category. Delicious too.

10. MUTANT seems to be cranking out a lot of new swag clothing, shakers and some really unique stuff. What’s the plan there?

SR: Our web shop is really meant to be a fan experience. Unique items that help build the fan base and celebrate being part of MUTANT Nation. We have some big drops coming soon, including our “Lift To Kill” series and a Shaun Clarida collaboration – No plan B.

Instagram @shawnrayifbbpro
Facebook @TheRealShawnRay
shawnray.fitness
Twitter @sugarshawnray

NEW MUTANT ALL-IN
Shawn Ray Signature
Full Dose Pre-Workout

“This one is a game-changer. Lift big. Get big. It’s that simple. I have my signature on this product for a reason. It’s the culmination of a lifetime of training, nutrition and hard work all wrapped into one amazing formula. From the weight rack to the Olympia stage, I have always been ALL-IN. Now it’s your turn.”-Shawn Ray

For more information, visit iammutant.com

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMSSUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAYGET OFFICIAL MD STUFFVISIT OUR STORE

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAM YOUTUBE

xClassic-Shawn-Slider.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.MYAKXDcaB8.jpg

Classic Shawn

10 Questions With Shawn Ray

1. We’ve noticed the past few years as Editor-in-Chief of DigitalMuscle.com website, you’ve covered a variety of topics in your writings. Most notably, you never miss paying homage to the bodybuilding and fitness athletes that have passed away every year, more specifically your article “Farewell to 2020 Iron Angels,” a great tribute to some amazing athletes.

Thank you, first of all. I feel it is my responsibility as a former athlete now working in the media to share the footprint of what these athletes leave behind for future athletes. While many of our sport’s crown jewels have been cut down in their prime, we must continue to be mindful that life in general is fragile and fleeting. Remembering these established athletes that inspire and motivate so many is the least of my responsibilities that always warms my heart. May they all continue to rest in peace. Please visit https://www.digitalmuscle.com/master-archive/2021-farewell-to-2020-ironangels/

2. Finally it’s been publicized officially that the former 212 Olympia champion, Shaun Clarida, is now gunning for his title back as a Mutant-sponsored athlete. Tell me how that will help his cause?

Most pro athletes dream of joining a team that will support and accentuate their journey. Shaun came to the right place in terms of a strong support network, quality products he can use on day one that will pay dividends by showtime, and he now has access to mentorship he may not have had in the past from someone who’s been where he is going with respect to doing the business of bodybuilding! Mutant CEO Jim McMahonnow has the sport’s tallest pro at nearly 6-foot-5 with Jamie “The Giant” Christian from England as well as one the sport’s shortest with one of the best 212 champions in Shaun “The Giant Killer” Clarida at what, 5-foot-5?

ximage4_3.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.ykBRdchTL4.jpg

3. I see you’re heading back to England in September for the Arnold Classic UK; what’s happening?

It’s been a minute since I was last in the UK. As a matter fact, the last time I was there I was master of ceremonies for the Amateur Olympia in the city of Liverpool some five or six years ago. So I’m really looking forward to heading back to the home city of six-time Mr. Olympia, Dorian Yates in Birmingham, where I’ll be working with Team Mutant at the Arnold Classic UK Expo, as well as appearing at a “meet and greet” at the Ultimate Fitness gym owned by Simon Fan on Thursday, September 22nd.

4. With all the new guys qualified for this year’s Mr. Olympia, do you think there’s a bit of “water down” effect or will we be looking at the same final six?

That’s hard to say because you’re right, there’s a lot of new faces in new names coming up in the form of Blessing, Mohamed, Hassan, Griffin, Samson Andrew Jacked and newer guys like Ian, Antoine, Hunter and Nick!It’s my belief that some veteran Olympians are gonna be looking over their shoulders as some of these new guys coming in try to make a statement! We may be witnessing a possible changing of the guard and an ushering in of the next generation of Olympians!

ximage7_4.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.QALgHHZLoz.jpg

5. There’s a lot of conversation about Arnold Schwarzenegger dropping divisions from the 2023 Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus, Ohio: Women’s Physique, 212 and Women’s Pro Figure. Do know the reasons why or have any insight?

Well first, as a Pro/Am Contest promoter myself, picking the divisions I want to host at my show is a right that we all have individually to choose. There’s never been a mandate that we have to hold certain divisions at competitions that we promote as promoters. I can remember as far back as 1989, when Arnold had the very first Arnold Classic show, there was only men’s bodybuilding and women’s bodybuilding. In the last 35 years, we’ve seen the Arnold Classic grow that weekend from maybe 2,000 spectators to nearly 200,000 spectators with over 22,000 athletes participating in various events. So if we see some divisions being dropped, other divisions being added is no biggie. The expo has continuously expanded inclusive of other disciplines of physical fitness, and I’m all for it without complaint or reservation that this year’s show will be bigger and better than any other year in spite of certain divisions not being on the platform.

6. Do you think you can predict the top six of the Mr. Olympia this year at this stage?

Predictions are nothing I’ve ever been known for however, I have an opinion on who I think will possibly be the last seven on stage. In no particular order: Hunter, Ramy, Curry, Andrew, Hadi, Nick and Lundsford. Let the haters chime in! Lol. I think at this point, these guys are the front-runners in 2022. Now that could change due to injury, sickness or timing but from my cheap seat at home, I have a feeling these names will be in the final callout.

7. The bigger question is, what ever happened to Roelly, Kuclo, De asha and Regan?

Well, regarding Roelly, I believe he’s seen his best days and possibly moving on into the next phase of his life. I haven’t heard a peep regarding any contest prep so I’d be surprised to see him on stage anytime soon. Steve Kuclo I believe chose the wrong show to try and qualify at. Two years in a row he simply got outplayed. I think he would have been smarter to choose the Toronto or California Pro but some guys simply like doing shows where they don’t have to travel and can stay close to home, and it might have bit him in the ass. He still has a shot in October at the Legion Pro Olympia qualifier show in Reno, Nevada but I’m not sure if that is in his plans. Nathan De asha won last year’s Arnold UK. It will be interesting if he shows up this year to defend his title because I heard rookie pro Andrew Jacked, who just won the Texas Pro, will be there and if he is, I have him winning that show in my book – leaving Nathan as the odd man out along with Kuclo this December at the Olympia.

8. Rumor has it that Derek Lunsford is going Open in the Mr. Olympia this year. Is this a smart move for the defending 212 champion of a year ago?

I not only think it’s a smart move, I think if he does move up that it represents growth! A larger and bigger version of last year will fit in nicely on the Open Olympia state. I’m hoping that Derek sees that sucking down to 212 pounds would require him losing a lot of hard-earned off-season muscle, very similar to what seven-time 212 champion James “Flex” Lewis was doing for many years, not allowing us to see how great he truly could’ve been against the best men on the planet in the Open division. Derek winning the 212 again will do nothing for his legacy, as Flex Lewis would still have five more 212 titles in the bank. However, if Derek moves up I believe he’s a bona fide top-four competitor who’s bigger than last year and most likely more impressive than the veterans already there offering little change to their already matured and maxed-out physiques.

ximage11_1.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.ZL1JGl9A0T.jpg

9. Apparently MUTANT’s gainer product, MUTANT Mass, just won an award overseas for gainer of the year?

Now eight years running, actually! One of our great distribution partners overseas, Naskor, votes on these annually. MUTANT Mass is the top choice now for eight years. A dynasty! Seriously though, Mass is a fantastic product especially for young athletes looking to put on weight. Clean, whole-food sources, great-quality protein and much lower in sugar than most in the category. Delicious too.

10. MUTANT seems to be cranking out a lot of new swag clothing, shakers and some really unique stuff. What’s the plan there?

SR: Our web shop is really meant to be a fan experience. Unique items that help build the fan base and celebrate being part of MUTANT Nation. We have some big drops coming soon, including our “Lift To Kill” series and a Shaun Clarida collaboration – No plan B.

Instagram @shawnrayifbbpro
Facebook @TheRealShawnRay
shawnray.fitness
Twitter @sugarshawnray

xMUT-NM-210927-0940-MD-MADNESS-ALL-IN-Product-Shot-FLAT.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.Ib4A_nazD_.jpg

NEW MUTANT ALL-IN

Shawn Ray Signature

Full Dose Pre-Workout

“This one is a game-changer. Lift big. Get big. It’s that simple. I have my signature on this product for a reason. It’s the culmination of a lifetime of training, nutrition and hard work all wrapped into one amazing formula. From the weight rack to the Olympia stage, I have always been ALL-IN. Now it’s your turn.”-Shawn Ray

For more information, visit iammutant.com

ximage5_4.jpeg.pagespeed.ic_.zZmZPiFEkD.jpg

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMS

SUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY

GET OFFICIAL MD STUFF

VISIT OUR STORE

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

YOUTUBE

xScreen_Shot_2022-08-23_at_5.07.01_PM.png.pagespeed.ic_.9t2ai25GGf.jpg