Do Appetite Suppressants Work?

Muscle Insider

Cravings control and weight loss are two goals that often intertwine on our journey to a healthier and fitter self. In this quest, appetite suppressants emerge as tempting allies, promising to rein in our appetites and tip the scales of weight loss in our favor.
But amidst the flood of claims and success stories, a crucial question lingers: Do appetite suppressants work and actually deliver on their promise?
In this article, we delve into the world of appetite suppressants to uncover the truth behind their effectiveness. Get ready to demystify your cravings and examine whether these products can really help you shed unwanted pounds.
Table of Contents:

What Are Appetite Suppressants?
What Happens When You Take Appetite Suppressants?
What Types of Appetite Suppressants Work?
Are Appetite Suppressants Effective?
Are Appetite Suppressants Safe?
Side Effects Of Appetite Suppressants
How Much Weight Can You Lose With Appetite Suppressants?
The Best Appetite Suppressant Supplements
FAQs

Appetite suppressants are popular supplements (or weight loss medication) for people who want to lose weight and control cravings. These products are available with and without a prescription and come in various forms, like pills, powders, or herbal teas.
Most over-the-counter appetite suppressants contain natural ingredients like fiber, stimulants, and extracts known to reduce hunger and make you feel fuller. Some may even speed up your metabolism.
However, it's important to remember that these supplements are not magical solutions. While they can be helpful, they work better with healthy eating and regular exercise.
When you take appetite suppressants, they can have various effects on your body. These effects may include reducing your feelings of hunger and suppressing cravings. The overall goal is to make you feel less inclined to eat.
Some appetite suppressants influence neurotransmitters in the brain, such as serotonin and norepinephrine, which regulate appetite. By modulating these neurotransmitters, appetite suppressants can help curb food cravings and create a sense of fullness.
Other appetite suppressants work by filling up your stomach. An example is glucomannan, which we will discuss later in the article. Similar to how dietary fiber from fruits and vegetables acts in the body, glucomannan is a fiber that absorbs water in the stomach, causing you to fill up faster.
New research has added to the growing evidence of the benefits of fiber, showing that high-fiber diets allow you to eat fewer calories without any increase in hunger1. How cool is that? The ability to cut calories without feeling increased appetite is a cheat code for dieting.
Food cravings are different since they are not always caused by hunger. Physiological, psychological, and environmental factors can cause cravings.
Physiologically, cravings can arise due to imbalances in certain nutrients. For example, a chocolate craving might indicate a need for magnesium. However, it's important to note that cravings are not always reliable indicators of specific nutrient deficiencies and should be considered in the context of overall dietary patterns. You might want chocolate simply because it is delicious.
Psychologically, cravings can be triggered by emotional states such as stress, boredom, or anxiety. Food can provide comfort or distraction during these times, leading to cravings for certain "comfort" foods.
Additionally, environmental cues and learned behaviors can play a role in cravings. Seeing or smelling a particular food, being in a specific location, or having established habits can all trigger cravings for those foods.
Since various factors can cause cravings, appetite suppressants won't directly target all of them. However, dealing with cravings is significantly easier when you are not starving.

What Appetite Suppressants Work?
As mentioned, there are different types of appetite suppressants. Generally, they are grouped into two categories, prescription and over-the-counter.
Prescription appetite suppressants require a prescription from a healthcare professional, whereas over-the-counter appetite suppressants often contain natural ingredients that support weight loss.
3 Types of Prescription appetite suppressants
A prescription appetite suppressant is a medication prescribed by a healthcare professional to reduce hunger and control calorie intake for people with a lot of weight loss. These medications often work very well but come with some side effects.
Here are some of the most popular.
1) Semaglutide (brand name Ozempic):
Semaglutide, also known as Ozempic, is one of the hottest drugs in the country right now. It is a GLP-1 agonist used to treat type 2 diabetes.
However, one of its side effects is crushing your appetite. As you can imagine, people are taking it off-label for weight loss. For the most part, it appears safe. However, it can cause GI issues in some people.
2) Liraglutide (brand name Saxenda):
Like semaglutide, liraglutide is an injectable medication originally approved for treating type 2 diabetes but has also been found to have appetite-suppressing effects.
It helps regulate blood sugar and promotes weight loss by reducing appetite.
3) Bupropion/naltrexone (brand name Contrave):
Bupropion/naltrexone is a combination of two drugs that affect appetite by targeting different pathways in the brain. Bupropion is considered a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, and naltrexone is an opioid antagonist.
How these two drugs operate together to help with weight loss needs to be clarified. But they are thought to act on sections of your brain responsible for appetite regulation and the reward system.
6 Best Natural Appetite Suppressants
Different from prescription medications, natural appetite suppressants are available over-the-counter. These natural OTC appetite suppressants are typically less potent than drugs but are still effective with fewer side effects.
1) 5-HTP:
5-HTP is commonly used to treat depression and sleep disorders since it is a precursor to serotonin. Its principal effect as a fat-loss supplement is increased satiety. According to research, taking 5-HTP supplements with meals boosts the feeling of fullness after eating2.
Nutricost 5-HTP 200mg is a great option for those interested in trying this appetite suppressant. Not only can it support your weight loss goals, but it will also boost your mood!
2) Caralluma Fimbriata:
Slimaluma, also known as Caralluma Fimbriata, is another natural appetite suppressant. Caralluma Fimbriata is a type of cactus with a history of being used as a meal during a famine. According to research, Caralluma Fimbriata supplementation reliably lowers hunger3.
Nature's Nutrition Pure Caralluma Fimbriata is a highly-rated product that can improve your energy while helping you shed pounds.
3) Glucomannan:
We all know that fiber is essential for a healthy diet. However, select fibers, such as glucomannan, absorb water in the stomach and intestines, taking up space and generating a sense of fullness.
Glucomannan is not like other soluble fibers. It absorbs so much liquid that even a trace amount in water causes it to gel. It's also not all theory. In a study of 176 men and women, glucomannan was found to reduce body weight in overweight people4.
For those interested in learning more, we've got a great article that examines taking glucomannan for weight loss. One of the best products is NOW Glucomannan, which is packed with reviews praising the supplement for its weight loss results.
4) Caffeine:
Caffeine is a stimulant that can assist fat loss by increasing energy expenditure and enhancing fat oxidation, which is why it's in many diet pills.
Caffeine can also stimulate the release of neurotransmitters, which can help suppress appetite and promote feelings of satiety. A 2017 review found that consuming caffeine before meals caused people to eat fewer calories5.
Check out our article on the 7 Best Caffeine Pills for our favorite products!
5) Garcinia Cambogia:
Garcinia Cambogia is believed to suppress appetite through its active ingredient called hydroxy citric acid (HCA). HCA has been suggested to inhibit an enzyme involved in fat production and may increase serotonin levels in the brain, potentially reducing appetite and cravings.
For those interested in trying it, NOW Supplements Garcinia Cambogia is a great metabolism-boosting product that contains tons of positive reviews from real users.
Interested in more great product recommendations that will curb your cravings? Check out our article on the 7 Best Appetite Suppressants!
6) Fat Burner:
I'm a big fan of products that combine multiple appetite-suppressant ingredients into one effective supplement. Fat burners are a type of dietary supplement that harnesses the power of vitamins, minerals, and herbs to enhance fat loss. These supplements typically work by promoting lipolysis and thermogenesis, or by stimulating the nervous system, resulting in increased fat-burning potential.
PhenQ and LeanBean are two of my favorites, as they do a great job of supporting fat loss goals and curbing your cravings and appetite, helping you stay on track with your diet.
Check out our article on the 8 Best Supplements For Fat Loss for more great product recommendations!
Successful weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit. It's been said thousands of times, but it's true. You need to eat fewer calories than your body requires to lose weight or bring down your body mass index.
From a nutrition perspective, people have two issues with this. One is poor food selection. Eating high-calorie and high-processed foods makes it hard to stay within your daily calorie goals. The second issue comes down to overeating in general. If you eat too much, it doesn't matter if you eat healthy foods. You can still gain weight anyway.
While appetite suppressants don't directly cause you to eat healthier, they effectively address the second issue of overeating. Plus, selecting more nutritious food options becomes much easier when hunger is managed.
It's important to approach appetite suppressants with realistic expectations. They are not a magical solution. All the ingredients mentioned, both over-the-counter and prescription, have research to support their effectiveness.
For best results, I recommend pairing an appetite suppressant with a meal plan for weight loss.
When used responsibly and with proper guidance, appetite suppressants can be a safe option for people looking to manage their appetite and weight.
Prescription appetite suppressants are carefully regulated and monitored. They go through thorough testing before being prescribed by healthcare professionals who consider your medical history and overall health. Prescription appetite suppressants can be effective and safe in a comprehensive weight management plan when taken as directed.
Supplement appetite suppressants can also be safe when used as directed. Many of these supplements contain safe and natural ingredients. However, choosing reputable brands and reading product labels is crucial to know what you are taking.

Appetite suppressants, both prescription and over-the-counter, can have potential side effects. These vary depending on the specific medication or supplement used. Here are some common side effects associated with appetite suppressants:

Increased heart rate and blood pressure: Many stimulant-based appetite suppressants can elevate heart rate and blood pressure, which may pose risks for individuals with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions or hypertension.

Insomnia and sleep disturbances: Similarly to increasing heart rate, taking too many stimulants can negatively affect sleep, especially when taken too late in the day.

Digestive issues: Certain appetite suppressants may cause gastrointestinal side effects such as constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, or stomach discomfort. These side effects are most common in prescription GLP-1 agonists.

Headaches: Headaches can occur as a side effect of certain appetite suppressants, particularly in the early stages of use.

Let's look at what actual users have experienced taking appetite suppressants.
One Reddit user stated:
"I've been taking PhenQ for about a month now, and I'll share my experience. It's been working decently well for me, and I've actually lost about 5 pounds so far. Now, this could possibly be a placebo effect, and I'm not sure what the long-term effects are, but these are the changes I've noticed so far:
- Energy level has increased. I no longer drink coffee in the morning because I'm afraid that I won't be able to sleep at night if I drink caffeine + take PhenQ.
- Appetite has significantly decreased. I don't find myself craving random snacks or junk food throughout the day. It's hard to describe, but I don't find myself "feeling" hungry anymore...but when food is in front of me, I can still eat normally. This is really helpful for me because I used to eat whenever I was bored. This helps me make smarter food choices.
- Waist size has decreased. My pants fit looser on me around the belly region, and my SO even noticed my weight loss." (source)
Another Reddit user had to say:
"Yup caffeine is definitely not a bad appetite suppressant, but obviously there are some better ones. I know people like phentermine a lot but not everyone has access. I have used phengold in the past and it was a good alternative to phentermine; staved off cravings pretty much all day." (source)
There are also some diet and lifestyle tips to help starve off hunger. For starters, eat a high protein and fiber diet. Both of those can increase satiety. Also, drink plenty of fluids and get 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleep deprivation has been shown to increase hunger6.
If you're looking for an appetite suppressant, we have you covered. Check out our article on the 7 Best Appetite Suppressants on the market for a whole list of options.
My personal favorite? PhenQ.
In addition to being an appetite suppressant, it's ingredients promote weight loss in four other ways. It's also a fat burner, a thermogenic booster, an energy enhancer, and a mood elevator, which means it packs a powerful punch as your all-in-one weight loss supplement.

Best Appetite Suppressant Supplement

PhenQ is a natural weight management system that targets 5 key areas of metabolic health to help shed excess fat, crush cravings, and support natural energy...

Looking for more great weight loss products? Check out the 8 Best Fat Burners For Men and the 9 Best Fat Burners For Women.
FAQs
Here are some common questions about appetite suppressant supplements.
How can I curb my appetite?
There are a few ways to curb your appetite. You can eat more high-fiber foods, drink plenty of water, practice mindful eating, and aim for around 1g of protein per pound of body weight daily.
Which two neurotransmitters have roles in appetite suppression?
The two neurotransmitters that have roles in suppressing appetite are serotonin and catecholamine.

Can you lose weight on appetite suppressants?
Appetite suppressants can aid in weight loss by reducing hunger, but their effectiveness may vary among individuals. The key to losing excess weight is maintaining a calorie deficit.
How long does it take for an appetite suppressant to work?
The time it takes for an appetite suppressant to work can vary depending on the supplement used. However, most appetite suppressants work shortly after taking them.
How effective are appetite suppressants?
Overall, appetite suppressants are effective dietary supplements. However, the results depend on the product, lifestyle habits, and adherence to a reduced-calorie diet and exercise routine.
The Final Say About Appetite Suppressants
Appetite suppressants can be useful for anyone looking to manage their appetite and support losing weight.
Whether through prescription medications or over-the-counter supplements, these options can help reduce cravings and promote feelings of fullness. However, they work best with a healthy lifestyle that includes quality nutrition, regular exercise, and consistency.
For most people, the supplementation route will be the best option. Over-the-counter appetite suppressants are a safe and effective way to curb cravings and reach your goals.
Need help picking out the best product for you? Check out our article on the 7 Best Appetite Suppressants to reduce your cravings and keep your diet on track!

References:

Corbin, K. D., Carnero, E. A., Dirks, B., Igudesman, D., Yi, F., Marcus, A., Davis, T. L., Pratley, R. E., Rittmann, B. E., & Smith, S. R. (2023). Host-diet-gut microbiome interactions influence human energy balance: A randomized clinical trial. Nature Communications, 14(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-38778-x
Ceci F, Cangiano C, Cairella M, Cascino A, Del Ben M, Muscaritoli M, Sibilia L, Rossi Fanelli F. The effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on feeding behavior in obese adult female subjects. J Neural Transm. 1989. doi: 10.1007/BF01578751. PMID: 2468734.
Kuriyan R, Raj T, Srinivas SK, Vaz M, Rajendran R, Kurpad AV. Effect of Caralluma Fimbriata extract on appetite, food intake and anthropometry in adult Indian men and women. Appetite. 2007 May;48(3). doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2006.09.013. Epub 2006 Nov 13. PMID: 17097761.
Birketvedt GS, Shimshi M, Erling T, Florholmen J. Experiences with three different fiber supplements in weight reduction. Med Sci Monit. 2005 Jan;11(1):PI5-8. PMID: 15614200.
Schubert MM, Irwin C, Seay RF, Clarke HE, Allegro D, Desbrow B. Caffeine, coffee, and appetite control: a review. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2017 Dec;68(8). doi: 10.1080/09637486.2017.1320537. Epub 2017 Apr 27. PMID: 28446037.
Greer, S. M., Goldstein, A. N., & Walker, M. P. (2012). The impact of sleep deprivation on food desire in the human brain. Nature Communications, 4, 2259. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms3259

Cravings control and weight loss are two goals that often intertwine on our journey to a healthier and fitter self. In this quest, appetite suppressants emerge as tempting allies, promising to rein in our appetites and tip the scales of weight loss in our favor.

But amidst the flood of claims and success stories, a crucial question lingers: Do appetite suppressants work and actually deliver on their promise?

In this article, we delve into the world of appetite suppressants to uncover the truth behind their effectiveness. Get ready to demystify your cravings and examine whether these products can really help you shed unwanted pounds.

Table of Contents:

• What Are Appetite Suppressants?
  • What Happens When You Take Appetite Suppressants?
  • What Types of Appetite Suppressants Work?
  • Are Appetite Suppressants Effective?
  • Are Appetite Suppressants Safe?
  • Side Effects Of Appetite Suppressants
  • How Much Weight Can You Lose With Appetite Suppressants?
  • The Best Appetite Suppressant Supplements
  • FAQs

Appetite suppressants are popular supplements (or weight loss medication) for people who want to lose weight and control cravings. These products are available with and without a prescription and come in various forms, like pills, powders, or herbal teas.

Most over-the-counter appetite suppressants contain natural ingredients like fiber, stimulants, and extracts known to reduce hunger and make you feel fuller. Some may even speed up your metabolism.

However, it's important to remember that these supplements are not magical solutions. While they can be helpful, they work better with healthy eating and regular exercise.

When you take appetite suppressants, they can have various effects on your body. These effects may include reducing your feelings of hunger and suppressing cravings. The overall goal is to make you feel less inclined to eat.

Some appetite suppressants influence neurotransmitters in the brain, such as serotonin and norepinephrine, which regulate appetite. By modulating these neurotransmitters, appetite suppressants can help curb food cravings and create a sense of fullness.

Other appetite suppressants work by filling up your stomach. An example is glucomannan, which we will discuss later in the article. Similar to how dietary fiber from fruits and vegetables acts in the body, glucomannan is a fiber that absorbs water in the stomach, causing you to fill up faster.

New research has added to the growing evidence of the benefits of fiber, showing that high-fiber diets allow you to eat fewer calories without any increase in hunger1. How cool is that? The ability to cut calories without feeling increased appetite is a cheat code for dieting.

Food cravings are different since they are not always caused by hunger. Physiological, psychological, and environmental factors can cause cravings.

Physiologically, cravings can arise due to imbalances in certain nutrients. For example, a chocolate craving might indicate a need for magnesium. However, it's important to note that cravings are not always reliable indicators of specific nutrient deficiencies and should be considered in the context of overall dietary patterns. You might want chocolate simply because it is delicious.

Psychologically, cravings can be triggered by emotional states such as stress, boredom, or anxiety. Food can provide comfort or distraction during these times, leading to cravings for certain "comfort" foods.

Additionally, environmental cues and learned behaviors can play a role in cravings. Seeing or smelling a particular food, being in a specific location, or having established habits can all trigger cravings for those foods.

Since various factors can cause cravings, appetite suppressants won't directly target all of them. However, dealing with cravings is significantly easier when you are not starving.

How_do_appetite_suppressants_work_480x480.jpg

What Appetite Suppressants Work?
As mentioned, there are different types of appetite suppressants. Generally, they are grouped into two categories, prescription and over-the-counter.

Prescription appetite suppressants require a prescription from a healthcare professional, whereas over-the-counter appetite suppressants often contain natural ingredients that support weight loss.

3 Types of Prescription appetite suppressants
A prescription appetite suppressant is a medication prescribed by a healthcare professional to reduce hunger and control calorie intake for people with a lot of weight loss. These medications often work very well but come with some side effects.

Here are some of the most popular.

1) Semaglutide (brand name Ozempic):
Semaglutide, also known as Ozempic, is one of the hottest drugs in the country right now. It is a GLP-1 agonist used to treat type 2 diabetes.

However, one of its side effects is crushing your appetite. As you can imagine, people are taking it off-label for weight loss. For the most part, it appears safe. However, it can cause GI issues in some people.

2) Liraglutide (brand name Saxenda):
Like semaglutide, liraglutide is an injectable medication originally approved for treating type 2 diabetes but has also been found to have appetite-suppressing effects.

It helps regulate blood sugar and promotes weight loss by reducing appetite.

3) Bupropion/naltrexone (brand name Contrave):
Bupropion/naltrexone is a combination of two drugs that affect appetite by targeting different pathways in the brain. Bupropion is considered a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, and naltrexone is an opioid antagonist.

How these two drugs operate together to help with weight loss needs to be clarified. But they are thought to act on sections of your brain responsible for appetite regulation and the reward system.

6 Best Natural Appetite Suppressants
Different from prescription medications, natural appetite suppressants are available over-the-counter. These natural OTC appetite suppressants are typically less potent than drugs but are still effective with fewer side effects.

1) 5-HTP:
5-HTP is commonly used to treat depression and sleep disorders since it is a precursor to serotonin. Its principal effect as a fat-loss supplement is increased satiety. According to research, taking 5-HTP supplements with meals boosts the feeling of fullness after eating2.

Nutricost 5-HTP 200mg is a great option for those interested in trying this appetite suppressant. Not only can it support your weight loss goals, but it will also boost your mood!

2) Caralluma Fimbriata:
Slimaluma, also known as Caralluma Fimbriata, is another natural appetite suppressant. Caralluma Fimbriata is a type of cactus with a history of being used as a meal during a famine. According to research, Caralluma Fimbriata supplementation reliably lowers hunger3.

Nature's Nutrition Pure Caralluma Fimbriata is a highly-rated product that can improve your energy while helping you shed pounds.

3) Glucomannan:
We all know that fiber is essential for a healthy diet. However, select fibers, such as glucomannan, absorb water in the stomach and intestines, taking up space and generating a sense of fullness.

Glucomannan is not like other soluble fibers. It absorbs so much liquid that even a trace amount in water causes it to gel. It's also not all theory. In a study of 176 men and women, glucomannan was found to reduce body weight in overweight people4.

For those interested in learning more, we've got a great article that examines taking glucomannan for weight loss. One of the best products is NOW Glucomannan, which is packed with reviews praising the supplement for its weight loss results.

4) Caffeine:
Caffeine is a stimulant that can assist fat loss by increasing energy expenditure and enhancing fat oxidation, which is why it's in many diet pills.

Caffeine can also stimulate the release of neurotransmitters, which can help suppress appetite and promote feelings of satiety. A 2017 review found that consuming caffeine before meals caused people to eat fewer calories5.

Check out our article on the 7 Best Caffeine Pills for our favorite products!

5) Garcinia Cambogia:
Garcinia Cambogia is believed to suppress appetite through its active ingredient called hydroxy citric acid (HCA). HCA has been suggested to inhibit an enzyme involved in fat production and may increase serotonin levels in the brain, potentially reducing appetite and cravings.

For those interested in trying it, NOW Supplements Garcinia Cambogia is a great metabolism-boosting product that contains tons of positive reviews from real users.

Interested in more great product recommendations that will curb your cravings? Check out our article on the 7 Best Appetite Suppressants!

6) Fat Burner:
I'm a big fan of products that combine multiple appetite-suppressant ingredients into one effective supplement. Fat burners are a type of dietary supplement that harnesses the power of vitamins, minerals, and herbs to enhance fat loss. These supplements typically work by promoting lipolysis and thermogenesis, or by stimulating the nervous system, resulting in increased fat-burning potential.

PhenQ and LeanBean are two of my favorites, as they do a great job of supporting fat loss goals and curbing your cravings and appetite, helping you stay on track with your diet.

Check out our article on the 8 Best Supplements For Fat Loss for more great product recommendations!

Successful weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit. It's been said thousands of times, but it's true. You need to eat fewer calories than your body requires to lose weight or bring down your body mass index.

From a nutrition perspective, people have two issues with this. One is poor food selection. Eating high-calorie and high-processed foods makes it hard to stay within your daily calorie goals. The second issue comes down to overeating in general. If you eat too much, it doesn't matter if you eat healthy foods. You can still gain weight anyway.

While appetite suppressants don't directly cause you to eat healthier, they effectively address the second issue of overeating. Plus, selecting more nutritious food options becomes much easier when hunger is managed.

It's important to approach appetite suppressants with realistic expectations. They are not a magical solution. All the ingredients mentioned, both over-the-counter and prescription, have research to support their effectiveness.

For best results, I recommend pairing an appetite suppressant with a meal plan for weight loss.

When used responsibly and with proper guidance, appetite suppressants can be a safe option for people looking to manage their appetite and weight.

Prescription appetite suppressants are carefully regulated and monitored. They go through thorough testing before being prescribed by healthcare professionals who consider your medical history and overall health. Prescription appetite suppressants can be effective and safe in a comprehensive weight management plan when taken as directed.

Supplement appetite suppressants can also be safe when used as directed. Many of these supplements contain safe and natural ingredients. However, choosing reputable brands and reading product labels is crucial to know what you are taking.

is_appetite_suppressant_safe_480x480.jpg

Appetite suppressants, both prescription and over-the-counter, can have potential side effects. These vary depending on the specific medication or supplement used. Here are some common side effects associated with appetite suppressants:

• Increased heart rate and blood pressure: Many stimulant-based appetite suppressants can elevate heart rate and blood pressure, which may pose risks for individuals with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions or hypertension.

• Insomnia and sleep disturbances: Similarly to increasing heart rate, taking too many stimulants can negatively affect sleep, especially when taken too late in the day.

• Digestive issues: Certain appetite suppressants may cause gastrointestinal side effects such as constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, or stomach discomfort. These side effects are most common in prescription GLP-1 agonists.

• Headaches: Headaches can occur as a side effect of certain appetite suppressants, particularly in the early stages of use.

Let's look at what actual users have experienced taking appetite suppressants.

One Reddit user stated:

"I've been taking PhenQ for about a month now, and I'll share my experience. It's been working decently well for me, and I've actually lost about 5 pounds so far. Now, this could possibly be a placebo effect, and I'm not sure what the long-term effects are, but these are the changes I've noticed so far:

- Energy level has increased. I no longer drink coffee in the morning because I'm afraid that I won't be able to sleep at night if I drink caffeine + take PhenQ.

- Appetite has significantly decreased. I don't find myself craving random snacks or junk food throughout the day. It's hard to describe, but I don't find myself "feeling" hungry anymore...but when food is in front of me, I can still eat normally. This is really helpful for me because I used to eat whenever I was bored. This helps me make smarter food choices.

- Waist size has decreased. My pants fit looser on me around the belly region, and my SO even noticed my weight loss." (source)

Another Reddit user had to say:

"Yup caffeine is definitely not a bad appetite suppressant, but obviously there are some better ones. I know people like phentermine a lot but not everyone has access. I have used phengold in the past and it was a good alternative to phentermine; staved off cravings pretty much all day." (source)

There are also some diet and lifestyle tips to help starve off hunger. For starters, eat a high protein and fiber diet. Both of those can increase satiety. Also, drink plenty of fluids and get 7-8 hours of sleep. Sleep deprivation has been shown to increase hunger6.

If you're looking for an appetite suppressant, we have you covered. Check out our article on the 7 Best Appetite Suppressants on the market for a whole list of options.

My personal favorite? PhenQ.

In addition to being an appetite suppressant, it's ingredients promote weight loss in four other ways. It's also a fat burner, a thermogenic booster, an energy enhancer, and a mood elevator, which means it packs a powerful punch as your all-in-one weight loss supplement.

Best Appetite Suppressant Supplement

best_appetite_suppressants_480x480.jpg

PhenQ is a natural weight management system that targets 5 key areas of metabolic health to help shed excess fat, crush cravings, and support natural energy...

Looking for more great weight loss products? Check out the 8 Best Fat Burners For Men and the 9 Best Fat Burners For Women.

FAQs
Here are some common questions about appetite suppressant supplements.

How can I curb my appetite?
There are a few ways to curb your appetite. You can eat more high-fiber foods, drink plenty of water, practice mindful eating, and aim for around 1g of protein per pound of body weight daily.

Which two neurotransmitters have roles in appetite suppression?
The two neurotransmitters that have roles in suppressing appetite are serotonin and catecholamine.

Can you lose weight on appetite suppressants?
Appetite suppressants can aid in weight loss by reducing hunger, but their effectiveness may vary among individuals. The key to losing excess weight is maintaining a calorie deficit.

How long does it take for an appetite suppressant to work?
The time it takes for an appetite suppressant to work can vary depending on the supplement used. However, most appetite suppressants work shortly after taking them.

How effective are appetite suppressants?
Overall, appetite suppressants are effective dietary supplements. However, the results depend on the product, lifestyle habits, and adherence to a reduced-calorie diet and exercise routine.

The Final Say About Appetite Suppressants
Appetite suppressants can be useful for anyone looking to manage their appetite and support losing weight.

Whether through prescription medications or over-the-counter supplements, these options can help reduce cravings and promote feelings of fullness. However, they work best with a healthy lifestyle that includes quality nutrition, regular exercise, and consistency.

For most people, the supplementation route will be the best option. Over-the-counter appetite suppressants are a safe and effective way to curb cravings and reach your goals.

Need help picking out the best product for you? Check out our article on the 7 Best Appetite Suppressants to reduce your cravings and keep your diet on track!

Appetite_suppressant_pills_480x480.jpg

References:

[*]Corbin, K. D., Carnero, E. A., Dirks, B., Igudesman, D., Yi, F., Marcus, A., Davis, T. L., Pratley, R. E., Rittmann, B. E., & Smith, S. R. (2023). Host-diet-gut microbiome interactions influence human energy balance: A randomized clinical trial. Nature Communications, 14(1), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-023-38778-x
[*]Ceci F, Cangiano C, Cairella M, Cascino A, Del Ben M, Muscaritoli M, Sibilia L, Rossi Fanelli F. The effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on feeding behavior in obese adult female subjects. J Neural Transm. 1989. doi: 10.1007/BF01578751. PMID: 2468734.
[*]Kuriyan R, Raj T, Srinivas SK, Vaz M, Rajendran R, Kurpad AV. Effect of Caralluma Fimbriata extract on appetite, food intake and anthropometry in adult Indian men and women. Appetite. 2007 May;48(3). doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2006.09.013. Epub 2006 Nov 13. PMID: 17097761.
[*]Birketvedt GS, Shimshi M, Erling T, Florholmen J. Experiences with three different fiber supplements in weight reduction. Med Sci Monit. 2005 Jan;11(1):PI5-8. PMID: 15614200.
[*]Schubert MM, Irwin C, Seay RF, Clarke HE, Allegro D, Desbrow B. Caffeine, coffee, and appetite control: a review. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2017 Dec;68(8). doi: 10.1080/09637486.2017.1320537. Epub 2017 Apr 27. PMID: 28446037.
[*]Greer, S. M., Goldstein, A. N., & Walker, M. P. (2012). The impact of sleep deprivation on food desire in the human brain. Nature Communications, 4, 2259. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms3259

Click here to view the article.

Back