Flex Lewis Shares Top 3 Movements to Build Olympia-Worthy Chest: “Control Is Key”

Muscle Insider

Welsh bodybuilding legend Flex Lewis presented arguably one of the best physiques of all time in the Men’s 212 category during his best days of competition. While he no longer competes, he’s revered for educating fans on a range of topics related to bodybuilding. In a recent Instagram post, Lewis shared his top three movements for building an Olympia-worthy chest.
Flex Lewis’ passion for bodybuilding was discovered early in his teenage years after taking inspiration from icons Tom Platz and seven-time Mr. Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger. He made a name for himself on the UK regional circuit before joining the IFBB Pro League.
While he was well respected for his overall look, he was renowned for his insane arm development. After placing runner-up in the Men’s 212 event at the 2011 Mr. Olympia, Lewis secured the coveted title before the division limit was raised to 212 pounds the next year.
Lewis enjoyed a dominant run at the top as he managed to ward off budding talent and became a seven-time 212 Olympia champion. What’s more impressive is the fact he went essentially undefeated from 2012 to 2018, winning every show he participated in. Although he flirted with the idea of switching to the Open, he decided against it and hung up his posing trunks following a final win at the 2018 Mr. Olympia.
Flex Lewis / Instagram
In July 2022, Lewis reported positive findings after receiving the results of his blood work. He gave fans a look into his downsized physique at a lean 210 pounds post-retirement and revealed he’d start TRT (testosterone replacement therapy). Then, he delivered another impressive physique update after getting on TRT.
As far as training goes, Lewis showed off his gigantic biceps and triceps in an intense arms workout session last November. He followed up with a collaborative quads training session with rising Men’s Open sensation Andrew Jacked weeks later. The pair got together for a heavy back workout in prep for the 2022 Mr. Olympia as well.
Flex Lewis left the fans in awe of his jacked physique with an update where he tipped the scales at 200 pounds earlier this year. He laid out an updated diet and training program he’s using to pack on muscle after dropping 60 pounds.
There has been speculation about whether Lewis would ever return to competition given his high fitness levels. He left the door open for a potential comeback but mentioned a caveat: that he’s rewarded with seven-figure prize money.
Flex Lewis shares the top 3 movements to build an Olympia-worthy chest

In a recent Instagram post, Flex Lewis shared his top three movements to build a muscular chest fit for an Olympia champion.
Lewis discussed the reloaded vertical chest press as his first movement of choice.
“Exercise number one is the reloaded vertical chest press,” said Lewis. “As I preach many times, foundation is key. You find the height of the seat in accordance with your biomechanics. So, what I try to do is line up my chest with the handles, get a little bit closer range. People will say you’re incorporating triceps. I’ve been doing this a long time. There’s ways of me trying to switch off that button but the wider you go the less triceps you’re going to hit. Pinching myself against the pad and my shoulder blades. I’m not squirming in the chair, plain motion. Chest up high squeeze at the top.”
His next movement is the reloaded incline fly.
“Exercise number two is the reloaded incline fly. This is pretty much as close to a dumbbell fly as a machine can be. Chest up high, I’m arching my body. There’s a little definitive distance between the lower of my back and the pad on my shoulder blades firmly on the pad, full stretch at the bottom. Contraction with the flys all the way through squeezing at the top, opening them up, controlling the weight. Ninety degrees and up again. You can open your hands up or close them out depending on your preference and what you’re trying to achieve during the workout.”
Finally, Lewis detailed using an incline chest press machine effectively.
“Exercise number three is one of the GOATs, it’s one of the old Flex piece, this is [incline chest press machine]. Chest up high, feet in a solid foundational position and we’re going to drive through squeezing at the top. As you can see I’ve got a suicide grip which is something I don’t advise but this is how I train and feel best. Contraction all the time, control is key.”

Flex Lewis opened up on his steroid use during his prime last month. He backed himself to come out on top of a hypothetical matchup with 2022 Mr. Olympia Hadi Choopan and runner-up Derek Lunsford if he decided to make a comeback. Then, he teamed up with four-time Classic Physique Olympia champion Chris Bumstead for a brutal back workout weeks ago.
Lewis laid out the secrets to his training, diet, and recovery protocols earlier this month. He also revealed his plans to take on a body transformation challenge for his 40th birthday. In addition, he recently listed his top three movements for building the triceps last month.
RELATED: Shaun Clarida Plans to Break Flex Lewis 212 Olympia Record, Says Nick Walker’s ‘Streamlined’ Look Cost Him
Given his ability to remain on top for so long as a 212 competitor, when Lewis offers insight for building a muscle group, fans listen.
Published: 14 June, 2023 | 11:35 PM EDT

Welsh bodybuilding legend Flex Lewis presented arguably one of the best physiques of all time in the Men’s 212 category during his best days of competition. While he no longer competes, he’s revered for educating fans on a range of topics related to bodybuilding. In a recent Instagram post, Lewis shared his top three movements for building an Olympia-worthy chest.

Flex Lewis’ passion for bodybuilding was discovered early in his teenage years after taking inspiration from icons Tom Platz and seven-time Mr. Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger. He made a name for himself on the UK regional circuit before joining the IFBB Pro League.

While he was well respected for his overall look, he was renowned for his insane arm development. After placing runner-up in the Men’s 212 event at the 2011 Mr. Olympia, Lewis secured the coveted title before the division limit was raised to 212 pounds the next year.

Lewis enjoyed a dominant run at the top as he managed to ward off budding talent and became a seven-time 212 Olympia champion. What’s more impressive is the fact he went essentially undefeated from 2012 to 2018, winning every show he participated in. Although he flirted with the idea of switching to the Open, he decided against it and hung up his posing trunks following a final win at the 2018 Mr. Olympia.

Flex-Lewis-7x-212-Olympia.jpg
Flex Lewis / Instagram
In July 2022, Lewis reported positive findings after receiving the results of his blood work. He gave fans a look into his downsized physique at a lean 210 pounds post-retirement and revealed he’d start TRT (testosterone replacement therapy). Then, he delivered another impressive physique update after getting on TRT.

As far as training goes, Lewis showed off his gigantic biceps and triceps in an intense arms workout session last November. He followed up with a collaborative quads training session with rising Men’s Open sensation Andrew Jacked weeks later. The pair got together for a heavy back workout in prep for the 2022 Mr. Olympia as well.

Flex Lewis left the fans in awe of his jacked physique with an update where he tipped the scales at 200 pounds earlier this year. He laid out an updated diet and training program he’s using to pack on muscle after dropping 60 pounds.

There has been speculation about whether Lewis would ever return to competition given his high fitness levels. He left the door open for a potential comeback but mentioned a caveat: that he’s rewarded with seven-figure prize money.

Flex Lewis shares the top 3 movements to build an Olympia-worthy chest

In a recent Instagram post, Flex Lewis shared his top three movements to build a muscular chest fit for an Olympia champion.

Lewis discussed the reloaded vertical chest press as his first movement of choice.

“Exercise number one is the reloaded vertical chest press,” said Lewis. “As I preach many times, foundation is key. You find the height of the seat in accordance with your biomechanics. So, what I try to do is line up my chest with the handles, get a little bit closer range. People will say you’re incorporating triceps. I’ve been doing this a long time. There’s ways of me trying to switch off that button but the wider you go the less triceps you’re going to hit. Pinching myself against the pad and my shoulder blades. I’m not squirming in the chair, plain motion. Chest up high squeeze at the top.”

[/quote]
His next movement is the reloaded incline fly.

“Exercise number two is the reloaded incline fly. This is pretty much as close to a dumbbell fly as a machine can be. Chest up high, I’m arching my body. There’s a little definitive distance between the lower of my back and the pad on my shoulder blades firmly on the pad, full stretch at the bottom. Contraction with the flys all the way through squeezing at the top, opening them up, controlling the weight. Ninety degrees and up again. You can open your hands up or close them out depending on your preference and what you’re trying to achieve during the workout.”

[/quote]
Finally, Lewis detailed using an incline chest press machine effectively.

“Exercise number three is one of the GOATs, it’s one of the old Flex piece, this is [incline chest press machine]. Chest up high, feet in a solid foundational position and we’re going to drive through squeezing at the top. As you can see I’ve got a suicide grip which is something I don’t advise but this is how I train and feel best. Contraction all the time, control is key.”

[/quote]

Flex Lewis opened up on his steroid use during his prime last month. He backed himself to come out on top of a hypothetical matchup with 2022 Mr. Olympia Hadi Choopan and runner-up Derek Lunsford if he decided to make a comeback. Then, he teamed up with four-time Classic Physique Olympia champion Chris Bumstead for a brutal back workout weeks ago.

Lewis laid out the secrets to his training, diet, and recovery protocols earlier this month. He also revealed his plans to take on a body transformation challenge for his 40th birthday. In addition, he recently listed his top three movements for building the triceps last month.

RELATED: Shaun Clarida Plans to Break Flex Lewis 212 Olympia Record, Says Nick Walker’s ‘Streamlined’ Look Cost Him

Given his ability to remain on top for so long as a 212 competitor, when Lewis offers insight for building a muscle group, fans listen.

Published: 14 June, 2023 | 11:35 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back