Is It Cheaper To Have A Home Gym Or Gym Membership?

Muscle Insider

Covid has officially changed the world as we know it. Everything we did before 2019 looks different now, including how we train.
When gyms closed, it left thousands and thousands of dedicated gym goers stuck at home desperate for an option to work out. Enter the rise of home gym equipment.
In fact, during the pandemic, so many people started training at home that one of my friends, who owns a gym equipment manufacturing company, had to scramble to get a larger facility. This meteoric rise of home gyms has led to even more people questioning if they should build one.
One of the major factors in this decision is price. So, can building a home gym help save you money in the long term? Let's find out.

What Is A Home Gym?
A home gym could be defined as any area in a private home that is used for training. Due to space restrictions, equipment often includes small dumbbells and resistance bands.
However, for the purpose of this discussion, we're speaking of home gyms on the more substantial end, including some larger equipment and heavier weights.
What Do You Need For a Home Gym?
Again, this depends on your definition of a "home gym." For a yoga gym, you only need a clear room and a yoga mat. If you want to step up your calisthenics workout plan, adding some basic equipment, like a pull-up bar, parallettes, and rings can dramatically increase workout effectiveness.
If interested in this type of training and equipment, be sure to check out our article on the best calisthenic equipment for your home gym.
Now, let's say you're trying to build a home gym that can support legitimate strength training. For this, you'll need three pieces of equipment at a bare minimum but ideally 4. This includes:

Squat Rack
Barbell
Weight Plates
Adjustable Bench

I recommend first getting a barbell over dumbbells due to efficiency. With a barbell, you can adjust the weight easily and do more movements, such as landmine exercises. While dumbbells are awesome, buying a couple for specific purposes is more manageable than an entire line-up.
Now, if you want to go all out and have a larger budget, you can add:

Ultimately, what you buy for your home gym is going to come down to 3 variables:

How much space do you have? (An entire spare room or a corner?)
Your budget?
What style of training do you need?

Answer these questions first and then decide what equipment you want and what quality you need.

What Does A Home Gym Cost?
It's tough to find the average cost of a home gym from a reliable, professional source. Still, we can make some reasonable estimates.
After scavenging the internet, the average cost of home gyms seems to be around $1,500 -$2,500. One informal survey put average home gym costs at $3,141, but it was a garage gym-specific website, so its users are likely more serious lifters willing to invest more into their gyms.
The nice thing about a home gym is it truly can be as cheap or expensive as you'd like and catered to your individual training goals. For example, if you just wanted a yoga gym, your cost could include the following:

Yoga mat: $20-$100
A small set of dumbbells: $40-$100
Bluetooth speakers: $50-$250

However, if you want a good weightlifting gym, your average home gym costs come to around $2,000. With this in mind, let's look at the average cost of some equipment.
I'm assuming most people reading this article want to know what they'll need to spend at a minimum, so these are the prices for the lower-median range for equipment.

Equipment Type

Cost

Squat Rack

$300-$500

Barbell

$200-$400

Weight Plates

$1.50/$2.00/pound

You can find some great squat rack options in our article on the 10 Best Squat Racks. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd recommend the Force USA MyRack, which is strong, reasonably priced, and balances well. You can also add on a bunch of different accessories, like a pull-up bar and dip mar, making it an ultra versatile addition to your home gym.

Best Overall Squat Rack

The Force USA MyRack Power Rack is the first truly custom power rack system of its kind. Configure your modular base rack with your choice of 20 attachments...

In addition, you'll also want to take a look at these 15 Best Barbells to find the perfect fit for your home gym. I like the Force USA Gunner Barbell as it's ultra durable and able to handle some seriously heavy loads.

Overall Best Barbell

The Gunner Barbell is a weightlifting, Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and multipurpose barbell ideal for moderate and experienced lifters. The 1,500 lb. weight rating gives you confidence...

You'll also need to factor in any additional shipping or assembly costs. As you see, you'll need to spend around a minimum of $1000 + to get the most basic home gym equipment with 200 pounds of weight. Now let's look at additional equipment you may want.
Keep in mind that some of these are more important than others, so pick and choose based on your preferences and budget. For example, if you're already pushing the upper end of your budget but want a little more variety, adding resistance bands could be a relatively budget-friendly option.
Here's a look at the lower-median range for some other potential home gym equipment.

Equipment Type

Cost

Bench

$200-$500

Dumbbells

$1-$3/lb

Kettlebells

$1-$3/lb

Rings/TRX

$30-$100

Landmine Attachment

$50-$100

Various Barbells (SSB, Camber, Axel, etc.)

$100-$800

Pulley System

$200-$500

Dip Bar Attachment

$60-$100

Resistance Bands

$15-$60

Additional Home Gym Costs to Consider
In addition to your actual home gym space and equipment cost, when building your home gym, other factors may play a role in total costs. However, these factors aren't always necessary and/or may affect people differently.
Here's a look at some additional costs that you may want to consider.
1) Flooring:
Flooring is crucial for home gyms. Even if you're in the garage, you still need some minimal protection on the ground to protect both your gear and your floor.
You'll find two types of flooring to choose from: EVA foam or rubber. Of the two, EVA foam is significantly cheaper. Check out this EVA Foam Flooring from Amazon for less than $150. EVA foam for gym use is not like your typical spongy foam and is significantly more compact. However, it's still foam and will be of less durability.
The other type is rubber. Rubber is going to be more expensive but is more durable than foam. So while it has a higher upfront cost, it will last longer. You can get 48 square feet from an off-brand for around $200. Check out these American Floor Mats on Amazon for a budget-friendly option.
On the other hand, a more expensive version for a high-quality brand could cost closer to $500 for just 48 square feet. Now with this price increase likely comes a thicker, more durable mat, so again, it just comes down to what you can spend.
Finally, you could add a platform. Professional platforms can run from $400-800 + mats. Wooden platforms are extremely expensive, so unless you have a big budget, there's no need. You can also build your own platform by simply buying some plywood and then placing mats on the sides.
2) Electronics (TV, Fan, Sound System):
If you want some extra comfort while lifting weights having various electronics is a nice add-on if your budget allows for it. Again, these are all optional and depend on the person.

TV's: As low as $150-$1000+
Fans: An industrial fan tends to cost around $100 on Amazon (search: Industrial fan)
Sound System: Again, completely dependent on the person and can go from $50-very high. That said, we can't imagine spending any more than a couple hundred.

3) Wear And Tear:
If you lift long enough in your home gym, you will likely damage something at some point. Depending on what it is, it could either not matter at all or cost you a chunk of change.
4) Aesthetics:
If you want your gym to feel comfy, you may want to add some aesthetics. This might be something like mirrors, lights, art, or memorabilia hung on the wall. It's totally up to the person, but expect to spend at least $100 for aesthetic additions.
My suggestion? Prioritize getting the equipment you need first before you begin adding electronic and aesthetic touches.
Benefits of a Home Gym
The benefits of home gyms are vast. Having one can drastically change your lifting experience and results. Here are the top reasons I like having a home gym:

Home gyms save time (Driving to and from a gym can require 30-45 minutes on average).
You'll never forget any equipment you need or your pre-workout.
You never have to wait for a machine!
You can choose your own music.
Getting in a short workout is easier (If you have an hour total available, you can easily knock out a workout. Compare that with wasting time driving to a gym).
It makes it much easier to stay consistent.
You control the cleanliness of your gym.

What Does A Gym Membership Cost?
Your gym membership fee can vary depending on where you live and the level of luxury you're looking for. According to a survey from Statista, the average gym membership costs around $60 a month, depending on your state, and can skyrocket for luxury-type gyms1.
Most gyms will also have gym memberships that come with a $99 setup fee (read: we're taking your money).
In addition, here are two other things you need to factor in.
1) Gas:
You'll also need to consider the price of gas. Let's assume most people live within 5 miles of their gym or 10 miles round trip. Using an average of 25 miles per gallon, one gallon can take you 2.5 trips.
If you train four days a week, this equals 91 trips to the gym every year. Ninety-one trips divided by 2.5 equals 36.4 gallons of gas. Today, the average gas price is $3.44, which means you need to budget $125 a year. Even if you work the gym into your daily route, it's still something you need to consider.
2) Things you forget:
Perhaps a stretch, but if you forget your water, you may have to cough up $3-4 for a bottle. Want a protein shake? You're going to drop $6-8. While this can seem silly, it can add up quickly.
Benefits of a Gym Membership
So now we can list the benefits of training at a commercial gym, which include:

A wider range of equipment, including cardio equipment
Possible use of saunas, pools, etc
Social aspect
Motivation or friendly competition
Don't need to worry about upkeep
Trainers or people for spotting

Home Gym vs Gym Membership: Which is Cheaper?
So this begs the question: Which is cheaper? The answer requires some nuance. For simplicity, we'll start with a home gym cost at the higher end, $3,000, and a $75 monthly membership fee for a commercial gym.
To build a home gym, you'll need significantly more money up front. Again, you have to dish out $3,000 to buy gym equipment before you can even start training. Compare this to maybe the $150 you need for a gym membership's monthly fee and registration fee.
After one year (12 months) of a home gym, you've still invested $3,000 and only $900 on a gym membership. But after five years, the $3000 you spent on a home gym looks like an investment compared to the $4,500 you've spent on a professional gym membership.
Again, this assumes you don't buy anything new for your home gym. We must also consider that purchasing gym equipment makes it yours. You can pass it down to family or throw it up on Marketplace. Depending on how well you took care of your exercise equipment, you could get back 25-50% of your purchase price.
The above considerations make home gyms the cheaper long-term option if you're a serious, dedicated lifter.
Gym Membership vs Home Gym: How to Determine Which is Right For You?
Gym membership vs. home gym. It's a pretty big decision for gym folk as it can dictate where you spend thousands of dollars and your time.
Home gyms are great for the right person. Their biggest downfall is isolation. There's no one there to help you or push you. Even if you don't like talking to people, many lifters simply like the energy of being in a room with a bunch of other sweaty, grunting human beings. I know I do.
But home gyms are fantastic for an intrinsically motivated and dedicated lifter. Interestingly, when examining what real lifters think, you'll find motivation to be one of the main talking points when comparing home gym vs gym memberships. While some say they are intrinsically motivated so a home gym works, others feels they don't train as intensely at home.
"I have a garage gym and love it. I honestly don't see myself going to a commercial gym ever again. I don't have to wait for a rack, no unwanted staring, I can take as loooong as I want between sets, I'm not embarrassed to fail, I can blast my own music and dance unabashedly between sets, and it saves so much time going to/from another location (I also work from home). Of course, it's different from working out in your living room. I got into doing short ~15 min little workout sequences in my living room, but I don't push myself too hard, it's really just for fun, so I get that if that was my only option as it is for many people, I would definitely prefer a gym." (source)
There's also a group of lifters who do a mix of home and gym workouts.
"My home workouts are way better. There’s nobody in the way, I can blare music or videos loud without worrying about headphones, I can set things up for maximum efficiency in my circuits, and I can workout longer because commute isn’t eating up my time. I’ll still go to the gym for a session or two a week, though. My home setup has a lot, but it doesn’t have a leg press or pullup / dip bars, and both are really good to have access to. Also, it’ll be good to add stationary cycling, rowing, and swimming back into the rotation of cardio that I do." (source)
Another considerations is the commute. If you have to drive 45 minutes to the close commercial gym, you can't beat the convenience of walking to the next room over. And, finally, the social aspect. When it comes to gym membership, many people love the social aspect and need it to be successful in the gym.
Whether a home gym is right for you really depends on your personality and lifting style.

Tips For Saving Money On Home Gym Costs
If you want to buy home gym equipment, you should be willing to spend some money. That doesn't mean you need to break the bank, but you shouldn't just look for the cheapest equipment. Many great, budget-friendly brands deliver quality products.
While top-quality brands are best for repeated use in commercial gyms or by hardcore lifters, your average or above-average lifter will do just fine shipping in the median range for gym equipment cost.
For weights, don't buy every weight size. Keep in mind that you can use various combinations, like this:

45's: Add them on as you need to increase weight
35's: You don't need
25's: Only 2
10's: Only 2
5's: 2-4

With this setup, you're only getting smaller plates to get you up to 45. If you hit 45, you can just add another 45. So basically, you will have a lot of 45s, which can save money as larger weights are generally cheaper.
If you buy dumbbells or kettlebells, don't buy an entire set or even similar ones. These can add up quickly, so buying ones that just might be helpful will cost a lot of money. Instead, select a few different ones that provide you with a range of weight. Check out these 11 Best Kettlebells for some awesome options.
Don't be afraid to get on Facebook Marketplace, especially for plates. Weight is weight. If you can get it cheaper, get it. We're not using calibrate plates, so it doesn't matter. Also, get a landmine attachment if possible. This single piece of home gym equipment can add so many options.
Investing in a Home Gym Now Will Save You In The Long Run
Building a home gym setup can be an exciting moment in a lifter's life. You're about to completely transform your gym life, ideally for the better. However, before that happens, you need to open your wallet.
While initial numbers may seem high, they'll save money in the long run. Five years from now you'll be saving money and look super jacked. Sounds good to me!
Ready to get started building your own home gym? Start with the essentials by checking out these 10 Best Squat Rack Options, the 15 Best Barbells, and the 11 Best Dumbbells For Home Gyms.

Our Squat Rack Pick

The Force USA MyRack Power Rack is the first truly custom power rack system of its kind. Configure your modular base rack with your choice of 20 attachments...

References:

“Cost of a Gym Membership US by State 2021.” Statista, 2021, www.statista.com/statistics/1360459/cost-monthly-gym-membership-usa-state/.

Covid has officially changed the world as we know it. Everything we did before 2019 looks different now, including how we train.

When gyms closed, it left thousands and thousands of dedicated gym goers stuck at home desperate for an option to work out. Enter the rise of home gym equipment.

In fact, during the pandemic, so many people started training at home that one of my friends, who owns a gym equipment manufacturing company, had to scramble to get a larger facility. This meteoric rise of home gyms has led to even more people questioning if they should build one.

One of the major factors in this decision is price. So, can building a home gym help save you money in the long term? Let's find out.

What Is A Home Gym?
A home gym could be defined as any area in a private home that is used for training. Due to space restrictions, equipment often includes small dumbbells and resistance bands.

However, for the purpose of this discussion, we're speaking of home gyms on the more substantial end, including some larger equipment and heavier weights.

What Do You Need For a Home Gym?
Again, this depends on your definition of a "home gym." For a yoga gym, you only need a clear room and a yoga mat. If you want to step up your calisthenics workout plan, adding some basic equipment, like a pull-up bar, parallettes, and rings can dramatically increase workout effectiveness.

If interested in this type of training and equipment, be sure to check out our article on the best calisthenic equipment for your home gym.

Now, let's say you're trying to build a home gym that can support legitimate strength training. For this, you'll need three pieces of equipment at a bare minimum but ideally 4. This includes:

• Squat Rack
  • Barbell
  • Weight Plates
  • Adjustable Bench

I recommend first getting a barbell over dumbbells due to efficiency. With a barbell, you can adjust the weight easily and do more movements, such as landmine exercises. While dumbbells are awesome, buying a couple for specific purposes is more manageable than an entire line-up.

Now, if you want to go all out and have a larger budget, you can add:

Ultimately, what you buy for your home gym is going to come down to 3 variables:

[*]How much space do you have? (An entire spare room or a corner?)
[*]Your budget?
[*]What style of training do you need?

Answer these questions first and then decide what equipment you want and what quality you need.

home_workout_equipment_480x480.jpg

What Does A Home Gym Cost?
It's tough to find the average cost of a home gym from a reliable, professional source. Still, we can make some reasonable estimates.

After scavenging the internet, the average cost of home gyms seems to be around $1,500 -$2,500. One informal survey put average home gym costs at $3,141, but it was a garage gym-specific website, so its users are likely more serious lifters willing to invest more into their gyms.

The nice thing about a home gym is it truly can be as cheap or expensive as you'd like and catered to your individual training goals. For example, if you just wanted a yoga gym, your cost could include the following:

• Yoga mat: $20-$100
  • A small set of dumbbells: $40-$100
  • Bluetooth speakers: $50-$250

However, if you want a good weightlifting gym, your average home gym costs come to around $2,000. With this in mind, let's look at the average cost of some equipment.

I'm assuming most people reading this article want to know what they'll need to spend at a minimum, so these are the prices for the lower-median range for equipment.

Equipment Type

Cost

Squat Rack

$300-$500

Barbell

$200-$400

Weight Plates

$1.50/$2.00/pound

You can find some great squat rack options in our article on the 10 Best Squat Racks. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd recommend the Force USA MyRack, which is strong, reasonably priced, and balances well. You can also add on a bunch of different accessories, like a pull-up bar and dip mar, making it an ultra versatile addition to your home gym.

Best Overall Squat Rack

Untitled_design_3_6aa40923-e4b4-4c9e-8245-af7393b4d936.jpg

In addition, you'll also want to take a look at these 15 Best Barbells to find the perfect fit for your home gym. I like the Force USA Gunner Barbell as it's ultra durable and able to handle some seriously heavy loads.

Overall Best Barbell

best_barbells_for_home_gym_480x480.jpg

The Gunner Barbell is a weightlifting, Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, and multipurpose barbell ideal for moderate and experienced lifters. The 1,500 lb. weight rating gives you confidence...

You'll also need to factor in any additional shipping or assembly costs. As you see, you'll need to spend around a minimum of $1000 + to get the most basic home gym equipment with 200 pounds of weight. Now let's look at additional equipment you may want.

Keep in mind that some of these are more important than others, so pick and choose based on your preferences and budget. For example, if you're already pushing the upper end of your budget but want a little more variety, adding resistance bands could be a relatively budget-friendly option.

Here's a look at the lower-median range for some other potential home gym equipment.

Equipment Type

Cost

Bench

$200-$500

Dumbbells

$1-$3/lb

Kettlebells

$1-$3/lb

Rings/TRX

$30-$100

Landmine Attachment

$50-$100

Various Barbells (SSB, Camber, Axel, etc.)

$100-$800

Pulley System

$200-$500

Dip Bar Attachment

$60-$100

Resistance Bands

$15-$60

Additional Home Gym Costs to Consider
In addition to your actual home gym space and equipment cost, when building your home gym, other factors may play a role in total costs. However, these factors aren't always necessary and/or may affect people differently.

Here's a look at some additional costs that you may want to consider.

1) Flooring:
Flooring is crucial for home gyms. Even if you're in the garage, you still need some minimal protection on the ground to protect both your gear and your floor.

You'll find two types of flooring to choose from: EVA foam or rubber. Of the two, EVA foam is significantly cheaper. Check out this EVA Foam Flooring from Amazon for less than $150. EVA foam for gym use is not like your typical spongy foam and is significantly more compact. However, it's still foam and will be of less durability.

The other type is rubber. Rubber is going to be more expensive but is more durable than foam. So while it has a higher upfront cost, it will last longer. You can get 48 square feet from an off-brand for around $200. Check out these American Floor Mats on Amazon for a budget-friendly option.

On the other hand, a more expensive version for a high-quality brand could cost closer to $500 for just 48 square feet. Now with this price increase likely comes a thicker, more durable mat, so again, it just comes down to what you can spend.

Finally, you could add a platform. Professional platforms can run from $400-800 + mats. Wooden platforms are extremely expensive, so unless you have a big budget, there's no need. You can also build your own platform by simply buying some plywood and then placing mats on the sides.

2) Electronics (TV, Fan, Sound System):
If you want some extra comfort while lifting weights having various electronics is a nice add-on if your budget allows for it. Again, these are all optional and depend on the person.

• TV's: As low as $150-$1000+
  • Fans: An industrial fan tends to cost around $100 on Amazon (search: Industrial fan)
  • Sound System: Again, completely dependent on the person and can go from $50-very high. That said, we can't imagine spending any more than a couple hundred.

3) Wear And Tear:
If you lift long enough in your home gym, you will likely damage something at some point. Depending on what it is, it could either not matter at all or cost you a chunk of change.

4) Aesthetics:
If you want your gym to feel comfy, you may want to add some aesthetics. This might be something like mirrors, lights, art, or memorabilia hung on the wall. It's totally up to the person, but expect to spend at least $100 for aesthetic additions.

My suggestion? Prioritize getting the equipment you need first before you begin adding electronic and aesthetic touches.

Benefits of a Home Gym
The benefits of home gyms are vast. Having one can drastically change your lifting experience and results. Here are the top reasons I like having a home gym:

• Home gyms save time (Driving to and from a gym can require 30-45 minutes on average).
  • You'll never forget any equipment you need or your pre-workout.
  • You never have to wait for a machine!
  • You can choose your own music.
  • Getting in a short workout is easier (If you have an hour total available, you can easily knock out a workout. Compare that with wasting time driving to a gym).
  • It makes it much easier to stay consistent.
  • You control the cleanliness of your gym.
home_exercise_equipment_costs_480x480.jpg

What Does A Gym Membership Cost?
Your gym membership fee can vary depending on where you live and the level of luxury you're looking for. According to a survey from Statista, the average gym membership costs around $60 a month, depending on your state, and can skyrocket for luxury-type gyms1.

Most gyms will also have gym memberships that come with a $99 setup fee (read: we're taking your money).

In addition, here are two other things you need to factor in.

1) Gas:
You'll also need to consider the price of gas. Let's assume most people live within 5 miles of their gym or 10 miles round trip. Using an average of 25 miles per gallon, one gallon can take you 2.5 trips.

If you train four days a week, this equals 91 trips to the gym every year. Ninety-one trips divided by 2.5 equals 36.4 gallons of gas. Today, the average gas price is $3.44, which means you need to budget $125 a year. Even if you work the gym into your daily route, it's still something you need to consider.

2) Things you forget:
Perhaps a stretch, but if you forget your water, you may have to cough up $3-4 for a bottle. Want a protein shake? You're going to drop $6-8. While this can seem silly, it can add up quickly.

Benefits of a Gym Membership
So now we can list the benefits of training at a commercial gym, which include:

• A wider range of equipment, including cardio equipment
  • Possible use of saunas, pools, etc
  • Social aspect
  • Motivation or friendly competition
  • Don't need to worry about upkeep
  • Trainers or people for spotting

Home Gym vs Gym Membership: Which is Cheaper?
So this begs the question: Which is cheaper? The answer requires some nuance. For simplicity, we'll start with a home gym cost at the higher end, $3,000, and a $75 monthly membership fee for a commercial gym.

To build a home gym, you'll need significantly more money up front. Again, you have to dish out $3,000 to buy gym equipment before you can even start training. Compare this to maybe the $150 you need for a gym membership's monthly fee and registration fee.

After one year (12 months) of a home gym, you've still invested $3,000 and only $900 on a gym membership. But after five years, the $3000 you spent on a home gym looks like an investment compared to the $4,500 you've spent on a professional gym membership.

Again, this assumes you don't buy anything new for your home gym. We must also consider that purchasing gym equipment makes it yours. You can pass it down to family or throw it up on Marketplace. Depending on how well you took care of your exercise equipment, you could get back 25-50% of your purchase price.

The above considerations make home gyms the cheaper long-term option if you're a serious, dedicated lifter.

Gym Membership vs Home Gym: How to Determine Which is Right For You?
Gym membership vs. home gym. It's a pretty big decision for gym folk as it can dictate where you spend thousands of dollars and your time.

Home gyms are great for the right person. Their biggest downfall is isolation. There's no one there to help you or push you. Even if you don't like talking to people, many lifters simply like the energy of being in a room with a bunch of other sweaty, grunting human beings. I know I do.

But home gyms are fantastic for an intrinsically motivated and dedicated lifter. Interestingly, when examining what real lifters think, you'll find motivation to be one of the main talking points when comparing home gym vs gym memberships. While some say they are intrinsically motivated so a home gym works, others feels they don't train as intensely at home.

"I have a garage gym and love it. I honestly don't see myself going to a commercial gym ever again. I don't have to wait for a rack, no unwanted staring, I can take as loooong as I want between sets, I'm not embarrassed to fail, I can blast my own music and dance unabashedly between sets, and it saves so much time going to/from another location (I also work from home). Of course, it's different from working out in your living room. I got into doing short ~15 min little workout sequences in my living room, but I don't push myself too hard, it's really just for fun, so I get that if that was my only option as it is for many people, I would definitely prefer a gym." (source)

There's also a group of lifters who do a mix of home and gym workouts.

"My home workouts are way better. There’s nobody in the way, I can blare music or videos loud without worrying about headphones, I can set things up for maximum efficiency in my circuits, and I can workout longer because commute isn’t eating up my time. I’ll still go to the gym for a session or two a week, though. My home setup has a lot, but it doesn’t have a leg press or pullup / dip bars, and both are really good to have access to. Also, it’ll be good to add stationary cycling, rowing, and swimming back into the rotation of cardio that I do." (source)

Another considerations is the commute. If you have to drive 45 minutes to the close commercial gym, you can't beat the convenience of walking to the next room over. And, finally, the social aspect. When it comes to gym membership, many people love the social aspect and need it to be successful in the gym.

Whether a home gym is right for you really depends on your personality and lifting style.

basic_gym_membership_480x480.jpg

Tips For Saving Money On Home Gym Costs
If you want to buy home gym equipment, you should be willing to spend some money. That doesn't mean you need to break the bank, but you shouldn't just look for the cheapest equipment. Many great, budget-friendly brands deliver quality products.

While top-quality brands are best for repeated use in commercial gyms or by hardcore lifters, your average or above-average lifter will do just fine shipping in the median range for gym equipment cost.

For weights, don't buy every weight size. Keep in mind that you can use various combinations, like this:

• 45's: Add them on as you need to increase weight
  • 35's: You don't need
  • 25's: Only 2
  • 10's: Only 2
  • 5's: 2-4

With this setup, you're only getting smaller plates to get you up to 45. If you hit 45, you can just add another 45. So basically, you will have a lot of 45s, which can save money as larger weights are generally cheaper.

If you buy dumbbells or kettlebells, don't buy an entire set or even similar ones. These can add up quickly, so buying ones that just might be helpful will cost a lot of money. Instead, select a few different ones that provide you with a range of weight. Check out these 11 Best Kettlebells for some awesome options.

Don't be afraid to get on Facebook Marketplace, especially for plates. Weight is weight. If you can get it cheaper, get it. We're not using calibrate plates, so it doesn't matter. Also, get a landmine attachment if possible. This single piece of home gym equipment can add so many options.

Investing in a Home Gym Now Will Save You In The Long Run
Building a home gym setup can be an exciting moment in a lifter's life. You're about to completely transform your gym life, ideally for the better. However, before that happens, you need to open your wallet.

While initial numbers may seem high, they'll save money in the long run. Five years from now you'll be saving money and look super jacked. Sounds good to me!

Ready to get started building your own home gym? Start with the essentials by checking out these 10 Best Squat Rack Options, the 15 Best Barbells, and the 11 Best Dumbbells For Home Gyms.

Our Squat Rack Pick

Untitled_design_3_6aa40923-e4b4-4c9e-8245-af7393b4d936.jpg

References:

“Cost of a Gym Membership US by State 2021.” Statista, 2021, www.statista.com/statistics/1360459/cost-monthly-gym-membership-usa-state/.

Click here to view the article.

Back