Jay Cutler Talks About Competing vs Gustavo Badell & Longevity: “All My Markers Are Good”

Muscle Insider

Bodybuilding legend Jay Cutler has watched the sport evolve over the years. He’s also seen athletes taken away from this world far too soon. In a recent JayCutlerTV YouTube appearance, Cutler updated fans on his health markers and looked back on competing against the late Gustavo Badell.

During the 2000s, Jay Cutler established himself as an all-time great with capped shoulders, a huge chest, and an ironclad lower body. He alone holds the distinction of having dethroned the eight-time Mr. Olympia kingpin Ronnie Coleman in 2006. While building his legacy, Cutler pushed himself against the IFBB Pro League’s cream of the crop, which included names like Kevin Levrone, Dexter Jackson, and Kai Greene.

Over the last three years, many fans worry that bodybuilders are dying at an alarming rate. This trend was brought into the limelight after the untimely deaths of Shawn Rhoden and George Peterson in 2021. Their passings prompted fans and athletes alike to question whether steroid use is killing off talent. Retired pros like Seth Feroce have taken to YouTube and pleaded with younger athletes to use gear responsibly or risk death.

Last year, worries about bodybuilding safety were highlighted again as former Arnold Classic champion Cedric McMillan died at just 44 years old. In 2023, these matters have continued to dominate online discussions. Within a few weeks, three bodybuilders passed away. Popular influencer Jo Lindner died at 30 years old, Catalin Stefanescu at 30, and most recently, 2000s standout Gustavo Badell passed away at 50 years old.
Jay Cutler Pays Respects to Late Gustavo Badell, Looks Back on Facing Him at 2005 & 2005 Mr. Olympia
Cutler was sad to see a competitor as fierce as Badell go. He mentioned that Badell came to his surprise party after Coleman was dethroned in 2006.

“Sad news yesterday. So Gustavo [Badell] which we’ll insert this video in here, he jumped on me for the Mr. Olympia. he came to my party after, remember. The surprise party. Yeah, he lived in Vegas. He came on really hard for ’04 ’05 Olympia he was third to me and Ronnie.
Well, he won the Challenge Round, I think he was a little disappointed in those years because I think he knew that he had moved up so well and he was very fierce, you noticed he was a super fierce competitor. Yeah, I mean he had young kids, moved to Vegas, bought a house, he was training at Eastern Serene I think he trained at Flamingo here and there. He was a hard-working bodybuilder man. We might have trained together, I think. A little bit. We stayed in touch,” said Jay Cutler.

Cutler Motivated By Phil Clahar, Says ‘Blood Panels Are Good’ at 49 Years Old
Cutler shared that he was inspired by Clahar’s victory at the 2023 Orlando Pro at 49 years old.

“I see people like Phil Clahar, who just won at 49, the Orlando show, it gives you a lot of motivation but at the same time, life takes over. You realize that you’re on the back end of your years rather than the forward end right?

Meaning, I’ll be 50. I’m probably not going to live to 100. Honestly, you don’t fear it but there’s always – I can tell you at my age, there’s always that… man how many years do you have right? Especially when you hear these kinds of things when friends or acquaintances or media talks about people that had.” said Cutler.

Cutler who is on the verge of turning 50 in August, explained that his blood panels and markers are all in good standing.

“You go to the doctor, you go, you get your checkups, my blood panels are good. All my markers are good but listen, not to say things can change drastically super fast you know. You just got to be aware of things and do what you can. Angie always says enjoy every moment every day.”

Late last year, Cutler announced that he was transforming his physique as part of a ‘Fit-for-50’ challenge. While he has no plans of returning to a contest stage, Cutler hopes to get in the best shape of his life since retiring in 2013. Months ago, he targeted 6-8% body fat and said his goal was to add size and lean down at the same time by keeping his metabolism guessing.

Fans were blown away by Cutler’s transformation when he displayed his build at the seven-week mark. Some body parts aren’t as full as Cutler would like, but he plans to change that in the coming weeks with more food and additional training.

While the sport comes with considerable risk, Cutler hopes to continue prioritizing longevity in retirement, even while navigating uncharted territory in his latest ‘Fit-for-50’ challenge.

READ MORE:

You can watch the full video from the JayCutlerTV YouTube channel below:

Published: 18 July, 2023 | 9:59 PM EDT

Collage-Maker-18-Jul-2023-03-43-PM-1521.jpg
Bodybuilding legend Jay Cutler has watched the sport evolve over the years. He’s also seen athletes taken away from this world far too soon. In a recent JayCutlerTV YouTube appearance, Cutler updated fans on his health markers and looked back on competing against the late Gustavo Badell.

During the 2000s, Jay Cutler established himself as an all-time great with capped shoulders, a huge chest, and an ironclad lower body. He alone holds the distinction of having dethroned the eight-time Mr. Olympia kingpin Ronnie Coleman in 2006. While building his legacy, Cutler pushed himself against the IFBB Pro League’s cream of the crop, which included names like Kevin Levrone, Dexter Jackson, and Kai Greene.

Over the last three years, many fans worry that bodybuilders are dying at an alarming rate. This trend was brought into the limelight after the untimely deaths of Shawn Rhoden and George Peterson in 2021. Their passings prompted fans and athletes alike to question whether steroid use is killing off talent. Retired pros like Seth Feroce have taken to YouTube and pleaded with younger athletes to use gear responsibly or risk death.

Last year, worries about bodybuilding safety were highlighted again as former Arnold Classic champion Cedric McMillan died at just 44 years old. In 2023, these matters have continued to dominate online discussions. Within a few weeks, three bodybuilders passed away. Popular influencer Jo Lindner died at 30 years old, Catalin Stefanescu at 30, and most recently, 2000s standout Gustavo Badell passed away at 50 years old.
Jay Cutler Pays Respects to Late Gustavo Badell, Looks Back on Facing Him at 2005 & 2005 Mr. Olympia
Cutler was sad to see a competitor as fierce as Badell go. He mentioned that Badell came to his surprise party after Coleman was dethroned in 2006.

“Sad news yesterday. So Gustavo [Badell] which we’ll insert this video in here, he jumped on me for the Mr. Olympia. he came to my party after, remember. The surprise party. Yeah, he lived in Vegas. He came on really hard for ’04 ’05 Olympia he was third to me and Ronnie.

Well, he won the Challenge Round, I think he was a little disappointed in those years because I think he knew that he had moved up so well and he was very fierce, you noticed he was a super fierce competitor. Yeah, I mean he had young kids, moved to Vegas, bought a house, he was training at Eastern Serene I think he trained at Flamingo here and there. He was a hard-working bodybuilder man. We might have trained together, I think. A little bit. We stayed in touch,” said Jay Cutler.

[/quote]
Cutler Motivated By Phil Clahar, Says ‘Blood Panels Are Good’ at 49 Years Old
Cutler shared that he was inspired by Clahar’s victory at the 2023 Orlando Pro at 49 years old.

“I see people like Phil Clahar, who just won at 49, the Orlando show, it gives you a lot of motivation but at the same time, life takes over. You realize that you’re on the back end of your years rather than the forward end right?

Meaning, I’ll be 50. I’m probably not going to live to 100. Honestly, you don’t fear it but there’s always – I can tell you at my age, there’s always that… man how many years do you have right? Especially when you hear these kinds of things when friends or acquaintances or media talks about people that had.” said Cutler.
[/quote]
Cutler who is on the verge of turning 50 in August, explained that his blood panels and markers are all in good standing.

“You go to the doctor, you go, you get your checkups, my blood panels are good. All my markers are good but listen, not to say things can change drastically super fast you know. You just got to be aware of things and do what you can. Angie always says enjoy every moment every day.”

[/quote]
Late last year, Cutler announced that he was transforming his physique as part of a ‘Fit-for-50’ challenge. While he has no plans of returning to a contest stage, Cutler hopes to get in the best shape of his life since retiring in 2013. Months ago, he targeted 6-8% body fat and said his goal was to add size and lean down at the same time by keeping his metabolism guessing.

Fans were blown away by Cutler’s transformation when he displayed his build at the seven-week mark. Some body parts aren’t as full as Cutler would like, but he plans to change that in the coming weeks with more food and additional training.

While the sport comes with considerable risk, Cutler hopes to continue prioritizing longevity in retirement, even while navigating uncharted territory in his latest ‘Fit-for-50’ challenge.

READ MORE:

You can watch the full video from the JayCutlerTV YouTube channel below:

Published: 18 July, 2023 | 9:59 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back