Mary Theisen-Lappen (+87KG) Wins Gold Medal for USA at 2023 Pan American Games

Muscle Insider

The 2023 Pan American Games are a multi-sport event held every four years; think of it like a regional Olympics. American weightlifter Mary Theisen-Lappen closed out the weightlifting event at the Games in Santiago, Chile, in the final session — and won a gold medal in the process. Theisen-Lappen snatched 120 kilograms (264.5 pounds), clean & jerked 157...
The post Mary Theisen-Lappen (+87KG) Wins Gold Medal for USA at 2023 Pan American Games appeared first on BarBend.

The 2023 Pan American Games are a multi-sport event held every four years; think of it like a regional Olympics. American weightlifter Mary Theisen-Lappen closed out the weightlifting event at the Games in Santiago, Chile, in the final session — and won a gold medal in the process.

Theisen-Lappen snatched 120 kilograms (264.5 pounds), clean & jerked 157 kilograms (346.1 pounds), and made a 277-kilogram (610.6-pound) Total. She went six-for-six on the day, although her winning 157-kilogram jerk was initially recorded as an invalid lift. Jury deliberation overturned that decision and catapulted Theisen-Lappen to the top of the podium.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by USA Weightlifting (@usa_weightlifting)

[/quote]

[Related: The Best Weightlifting Shoes for Squats, CrossFit, Flat Feet, & More in 2023]

According to a press release from USA Weightlifting, Theisen-Lappen considered her last-minute victory in Santiago something of a lucky break, saying: “I felt like the judging was a little bit strict so I was surprised that I got it. I was happy but I was surprised.”

Theisen-Lappen On the Rise
Theisen-Lappen is rapidly becoming one of the most reliable medalists in the American weightlifting contingent. Since her first International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) appearance, the 2020 ROGUE Weightlifting Challenge, Theisen-Lappen has made it to the podium at every single event she’s attended:

• 2020 ROGUE Weightlifting Challenge: 262 Total (2nd place)
  • 2021 Pan American Championships: 270 Total (1st place)
  • 2023 Pan-American Championships: 272 Total (1st place)
  • 2023 IWF Grand Prix I: 277 Total (1st place)
  • 2023 IWF World Championships: 277 Total (2nd place)
  • 2023 Pan American Games: 277 Total (1st place)
Not only is this a stellar pedigree in just three years’ time, but Theisen-Lappen’s performances on the IWF stage have also rapidly elevated her up the international ranking leaderboards, the primary metric that will determine which athletes are eligible to go to Paris 2024.

At the time of this article’s publication, Theisen-Lappen sits in fourth place in the world, while teammate and two-time Olympian Sarah Robles is fifth. Only one athlete per country may attend the Olympics in any given weight class.

More Weightlifting Content
Editor’s Note: BarBend is the Official Media Partner of USA Weightlifting. The two organizations maintain editorial independence unless noted on specific projects.

Featured Image: USA Weightlifting

The post Mary Theisen-Lappen (+87KG) Wins Gold Medal for USA at 2023 Pan American Games appeared first on BarBend.

Click here to view the article.

Back