Michael Daboul Classic’s ‘Saharan Eagle’ From Syria

Muscle Insider

516360084-supplement-needs-michael-daboul-slider.jpg.pagespeed.ce_.Npt1ssKuLj.jpg

Michael Daboul

Classic’s ‘Saharan Eagle’ From Syria

By Ron Harris

As I like to point out often, the Classic Physique division is constantly infused with tremendous new talent that rises to the top swiftly. At the recent New York Pro, I bore witness to one of Classic’s best new champions as the UK’s Michael Daboul, a Supplement Needs athlete, dazzled with some of the deepest cuts I’ve ever seen on a human being. Daboul already has five wins including two at the Arnold Classic UK, and he’s my pick to make the biggest leap in placings this year at the Olympia. His sleek, streamlined musculature is a true work of living art, the embodiment of the ideals for Classic Physique. Let’s find out more about The Saharan Eagle!

516359684-8893bb7c-a430-48e8-9e48-deb33eb34d89.jpg

I Don’t Need Your Civil War

Michael grew up in Damascus, capital city of the Middle Eastern nation of Syria, which he says isn’t so different from countries like Egypt, Lebanon, and Jordan that you might be more familiar with. At 18, he began studying for a degree in computer engineering, mainly to avoid mandatory military service. Just two years later in 2011, a civil war broke out in Syria, one that is still ongoing today and has claimed over half a million lives. The ruling government needed more soldiers fast, and Michael knew two things: his student status wasn’t going to keep him out of the army much longer, and he had no interest in killing his fellow countrymen. China was the quickest and easiest country he could find to get a visa, so that’s where he went and spent the next year and a half. Struggling with the language, he returned home in hopes that the situation had improved. Instead, his home was in the middle of a war zone.

“The first three days nothing happened, and I thought maybe things were OK,” he said, “but then I started hearing bombs exploding. Then I went outside and saw rockets going across the sky.”

With a heavy heart as he was leaving his parents and brother behind, Daboul left Syria again and lived briefly in both Egypt and Turkey before finally settling in the UK. It was there that his bodybuilding journey would begin at the age of 24.

516359689-a14d4116-7b0c-44c4-8257-78d61a62ef9c.jpg

Turn Pro or Bust

Michael had messed around with training at the age of 17, but it was nothing serious. “I was just trying to lose a little fat and get some girls,” he laughs. “It was on and off, not consistent at all.” Once he was living in the UK, a switch flipped in his head and Daboul made up his mind to see how good he could get. He began competing first in Men’s Physique but soon gravitated toward the new Classic Physique division, though he did both for a while. Since he felt he’d gotten off to a late start, by 2019 he was hell-bent on earning an IFBB Pro League pro card. He was so determined that he competed a staggering nine times that year, despite feeling burnt out a few shows in.

To make matters more challenging, Michael had to deal with the frustration of placing second in seven of those nine contests. Out of curiosity, I asked if any of those men had ever beaten him on the pro stage since then. I wasn’t surprised to learn none had, or that he had beaten all the ones he has faced since they initially beat him as amateurs.

516359700-ac2022_fri_pre_10-03-22_24043.jpg

The King of Shredz

Another nickname given to Michael that didn’t quite stick was “The King of Shredz,” even though it’s perfectly fitting. Daboul’s arms and legs are standout body parts, but it’s his insane trademark conditioning that really sets him apart in Classic. “I knew early on that the other top men in Classic all had better shape, and often more mass,” he explains. “So, I had to bring something they didn’t have, an extra level of deep cuts and striations.”

Many of you will be pleased to know that Daboul has to work very hard and suffer to achieve that skinless look. Coach Patrick Tuor gives him no cheat meals, only a few “refeeds” during prep. “It’s sushi, not like I’m having burgers and fries!” Michael quips. His carbs are only 250 grams on his high days, but most days Daboul subsists on a mere 150 grams. He also does his fair share of cardio; 45 minutes fasted in the morning and another 25-30 minutes later in the day. At 5-foot-9, he must weigh no heavier than 207 pounds. “I always prefer when there is more time between weigh-ins and judging, because I am flat at that weight,” he says. “If I’m able to eat more meals and fill out, I look my best closer to 212.”

The only downside to competing in such astonishing conditioning is that once an athlete sets that standard, it’s what will be expected of him or her at every show from that day on. If they ever show up at anything less, people will criticize them even if they are still the most shredded person up there. “I have this standard for myself now too though,” Michael points out. “In fact, I almost pulled out of the spring shows this year because I felt like my conditioning was behind at a few weeks out. My coach Patrick helped convince me that everything would come in and my body would look the way it needed to, and he was right.”

516359707-ac2022_fri_pre_10-03-22_24053.jpg

The 2023 New York Pro

I’d seen Michael compete a few times and had been very impressed with how lean and shredded he was at the last Olympia, but he was noticeably flat there. That was not the case at the recent New York Pro, where he and Patrick Tuor put together a spectacular package. The entire top five were all worthy adversaries, including Junior Javorski, Alexander Westermeier, Camilo Diaz, and Eric Abelon. But as I sat watching intently with my coverage partner Jose Raymond, it was clear from the minute we saw the lineup that Daboul was going to earn his fifth pro title and his second in two weekends – he had just won the Pittsburgh Pro. His sleek lines exemplified the ideals of Classic, with full muscle bellies sweeping off tiny joints. Low body fat is one aspect to conditioning, but Michael also displayed incredibly deep muscle separation and striations. Classic isn’t supposed to be a glute contest, but his were easily the most splintered and striated I’ve ever seen in this division.

The New and Improved Daboul

“I was especially happy with my back shots in New York not only because of the conditioning, but also because I had listened to feedback from the judges after the last Olympia and did less leg training and more focus on my back – and it showed,” he says.

The judges had told Daboul that his legs were overpowering his upper body, so he reduced his leg workouts to just once every two weeks. Chest, back, and shoulders all got priority in order for them to catch up and balance out his otherwise astonishing physique. Ironically, Michael expected to see at least some loss in his leg size after a few months on that schedule, but after studying photos from last year to the recent May 2023 shows, he was surprised to see his wheels hadn’t lost anything. Giles Thomas pointed out in his interview with Michael the day after his New York Pro win that the most noticeable improvement he saw was that front-to-back thickness and density of the chest and back visible in his side shots. Prior to this, Daboul had been slightly more two-dimensional, looking much better from the front and back than he did from the side.

Of course, since bodybuilders are always chasing perfection, Michael still isn’t satisfied. “I just need a little more upper chest and deeper lines on my lower lats,” he says. “With that, I will have the most complete package I possibly can at my weight limit.”

516359704-ac2022_fri_pre_10-03-22_24046.jpg

His Second Olympia Will Be Very Different

Though he made the top 10 at his first Olympia appearance last year, Michael was not satisfied with the look he brought to the Las Vegas stage. “My body was so tired because I had already done five shows that year. I could not fill out even eating 700 grams of carbs the last four days before the show.”

He also learned this year at the Pittsburgh Pro that dehydrating was not the best strategy for his particular physique. “This time, we kept water in until two hours before the judging, and I was a lot fuller.” In fact, Michael drank 3 liters the day of Pittsburgh, and it turns out he filled out and was still just as sharp. He was still grateful for placing in the top 10 at the Olympia in what he is certain was his worst look of 2022. “If I could do that well being so flat, I know I can be in the first callout this year.”

It was also the largest Classic lineup in Olympia history so far, with 59 athletes all peeled and in shape. None were as lean as Daboul, of course. He seems to have found his magic formula after trying many methods in peak weak. “My goal is to continue bringing that conditioning and keep showing improvements to my chest and back. I know if I do this, I can be one of the very best at the Olympia.”

I happen to agree with that statement, and very much look forward to seeing Michael Daboul vault up the ladder this year in Orlando and take his rightful place among the best in the division like Chris Bumstead, Ramon Dino, Urs Kalecinski, and Terrence Ruffin.

Daboul is infused with a new degree of confidence that further enhances the likelihood of him moving up many spots this year. “I feel I leveled up both mentally and physically,” he tells us. “Having won two major shows and showing the best version of myself anyone has ever seen was amazing, and I still have time now to make even more improvements for the Olympia. I’m confident, excited, and ready to do some damage on that stage.”

516359715-ac2022_fri_pre_10-03-22_24069.jpg

The Origin of ‘Saharan Eagle’

Ironically, it was the Classic Physique fans from Brazil who helped give Michael his nickname by praising his incredible condition. “They kept commenting, desert dry, let’s fly!” says Michael. “I liked the idea of being as dry as the Sahara Desert, and eagles are a powerful and majestic animal, so I decided to call myself the Saharan Eagle.”

Instagram @michaeldaboul

//www.youtube.com/@MichaelDaboul">YouTube: Michael Daboul

Contest History

2018 NPC Worldwide UK Pro Qualifier - Fourth, Class D (Men’s Physique)

2018 NPC Worldwide UK Pro Qualifier - Third, Class B (Classic Physique)

2019 Olympia Amateur Portugal - Second, B class

2019 NPC Worldwide Ben Weider Classic - Sixth, Class D (Men’s Physique)

2019 Amateur Olympia Italy - Winner

2019 Yamamoto Pro Cup - Eighth Place

2020 British Grand Prix - Third Place

2020 Romania Muscle Fest - 10th Place

2021 Arnold Classic UK - Winner

2021 Tsunami Cup Pro - Second Place

2022 Arnold Classic - Fifth Place

2022 Arnold Classic UK - Winner

2022 Classic Physique Olympia - 10th Place

2022 Dubai Pro - Winner

2022 Classic Physique Olympia - 10th Place

2023 Pittsburgh Pro - Winner

2023 New York Pro – Winner

supplement_needs_trans.png

Michael’s Supplement Needs Stack

Advanced Health Stack:

Liver Stack, Heart Stack and Kidney and Blood Pressure Stack

Iso-Whey Chocolate Brownie

Intra EAA

Electrolyte Plus

For more information, visit www.supplementneeds.co.uk

Ron Harris got his start in the bodybuilding industry during the eight years he worked in Los Angeles as Associate Producer for ESPN’s “American Muscle Magazine” show in the 1990s. Since 1992 he has published nearly 5,000 articles in bodybuilding and fitness magazines, making him the most prolific bodybuilding writer ever. Ron has been training since the age of 14 and competing as a bodybuilder since 1989. He lives with his wife and two children in the Boston area. Facebook Instagram

516359715-ac2022_fri_pre_10-03-22_24069.jpg

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMS

SUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY

GET OFFICIAL MD STUFF

VISIT OUR STORE

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM

YOUTUBE

Click here to view the article.