Morning Report: Jake Paul says that if Conor McGregor loses to Dustin Poirier again, he’ll call for bout with Poirier

9mm

MuscleChemistry MMA Site Representative
1309400359.0.jpg
Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images Love him or hate him, you cannot deny that Jake Paul understands how the fight game works.
Last week, Paul had a press conference with upcoming boxing opponent Ben Askren where their war of words turned physical during the staredown, with Askren facepaming Paul who in turn responded by shoving Askren. In the aftermath, Paul spoke with ESPN about the incident, noting that it has given him even more confidence heading into their fight.
“Clearly he’s pissed off. He turns away, goes to put his hand in my face, BOOM, pull counter right to the body,” Paul said. “He’s lucky I didn’t knock him out. I stopped myself from knocking him out. Everyone says he has this dumpy power, this wrestling strength and all this athleticism. This guy is made of flubber. Literally when I pushed him it was like there was nothing there. He flew six feet. That’s not how a wrestler’s base is. And he tried to sucker punch me and he couldn’t even hit me, so what’s going to happen in the fight? He barely nicked my face.”
Paul and Askren will fight next month as the main event for Triller boxing. Over the past couple of years Paul, primarily known as a YouTube personality, has jumped into the world of boxing, winning bouts against another YouTube personality, AnEnsonGib, and then this past November against former NBA star Nate Robinson. Following the Robinson knockout, Paul began calling for fights against several MMA stars, including Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. In the end, it was Askren who answered the call, and though Askren has never been known as a brilliant striker, Paul believes this win will earn him credibility int he fight community, which in turn can set up even bigger names.
“People are saying, ‘He’s not a boxer, he’s a wrestler,’ but somehow do people forget I’m a Disney Channel, YouTube actor?” Paul said. “Why am I the favorite? If the boxing community doesn’t consider Jake Paul a boxer, how can they make the excuse for Ben that he’s not a striker? Oh, I’m a striker so you’re saying I’m not a striker but in an innuendo type of way say that I’m a better striker so it doesn’t make sense to me. It will build a lot of credibility and if he can make it past a couple rounds it will truly show the boxing community, like, this kid can actually box and I think people will respect that. I’ve been putting in the work, training with world champions and sparring with world champions and it’s gonna show.”
Ultimately, Paul is looking to set up a lucrative fight with former two-division UFC champion Conor McGregor that Paul has been chasing for awhile. In December, Paul reportedly offered McGregor $50 million for a fight instead of facing Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 and, given how that event turned out for McGregor, Paul says “Notorious” made the wrong choice.
“If I was Conor he should’ve tooken (sic) the $50 million I offered him to take ‘the easier’ fight,” Paul said. “He got $10 million with a little bit of backend for the UFC event against Dustin but he lost. So why not take $50 million to fight a YouTuber? That’s what he should’ve done, quite frankly. Now he has to fight his way back. That’s the most embarrassing loss of his career. He got knocked out, TKOed. He should’ve taken the Jake Paul fight. More money, more hype.”
McGregor is currently in talks to rematch Poirier this summer, a fight which Paul believes is now critically important to MMA’s biggest star. Not because McGregor’s MMA career is in jeopardy, but because a fight with Paul may depend on it.
“I just think McGregor has that name where he will be big in this sport for a while. But if he loses again to Poirier, I’ll be like ‘Yo, let me fight Poirier,’” Paul said. “Why not? He has to win in his own sport first and then maybe we can figure something out. I’m Conor’s money fight right now, as crazy as that sounds. Khabib retired, he’s all pissed off about it. Jake Paul vs. Conor is the money fight. It’s funny, what world are we living in where that even makes sense?”
Paul faces Askren on April 17 in Atlanta, GA.

[h=1]TOP STORIES[/h]Statement. Stipe Miocic releases first statement on UFC 260 loss: ‘Losses aren’t fun… but that’s the beast of this business’.
Release. Jon Jones sends clear message to UFC: ‘Please just cut me already … just f*cking let me go’.
Odds. Francis Ngannou opens as solid favorite over Jon Jones in potential heavyweight title fight.
Rematch. Aljamain Sterling welcomes Petr Yan rematch, but questions circumstances: ‘His ass should have been suspended’.
Finally. Cage Warriors star Paddy Pimblett signs with UFC.

[h=1]VIDEO STEW[/h]Bellator previewing some upcoming fights.

BJJ Scout on UFC 260.

Francis on TMZ.

Usman-Masvidal II promo.

Bas Rutten, King of Pancrase.

[h=1]LISTEN UP[/h]The Co-Main Event. Discussing Francis Ngannou’s coronation and what comes next.
Jack Slack. Breaking down the big fights from UFC 260.

[h=1]SOCIAL MEDIA BOUILLABAISSE[/h]Francis Ngannou, champion.
Here we are. CHAMP

Finally got a hold of the belt & this is going to be for a while.
This right here is more than a belt, but a symbol of hope and dedication, it shows how far you can go if you believe in you and doesn't matter how far behind you are, doesn't matter how many pic.twitter.com/QSwNn4cuvL
— Francis Ngannou (@francis_ngannou) March 29, 2021
many obstacles you meet along the road (and believe me they can be countless), you can overcome them and reach your goal because the only limit that you have is YOU and nothing else.
I want to thank you (fans, family, etc...) all from the bottom of my heart for helping
me carry on this dream even when I feel exhausted, for motivating me when I feel tired and to push me when I'm stuck. We're all tied in this together.

Thank you to @stipemiocic for being a great champion, it was & will always been an honor to share the Octagon with you
Thank you to the guy behind the scenes @Marquel_Martin, my coaches @eric_xcmma @DeweyCooper for all the hard work and sacrifice.
Thank you to my team @XC_MMA & to all my teammates.
One more thank you to my brother @usman84kg ?

- The champ #mondaymotivation
Fishing.
@JonnyBones why not come do an MMA fight with Triller this summer, happy to work something out with UFC if we can help. Maybe fight on same card as @OscarDeLaHoya ? #triller
— Ryan Kavanaugh (@RyanKavanaugh) March 29, 2021
Bellator has released rankings now.
.@BellatorMMA’s inaugural rankings have been unveiled.

Check them out now: https://t.co/6EuvCUf78C pic.twitter.com/E01dAhydzR
— Scott Coker (@ScottCoker) March 29, 2021
Reaction.
There are few guys at lightweight they shouldn’t be there Now they are all fucked you can’t protect them or call them prospects!! You above me I’m calling you out you don’t fight me you are a PUSSY!! https://t.co/SzlewSvdcW
— Georgi Karakhanyan (@georgimma) March 29, 2021
DC.
I really believe this, a lot of these champions are not appreciated. There will be a day when they’re gone. Love em now pic.twitter.com/ue5cNhj6um
— Daniel Cormier (@dc_mma) March 29, 2021
Shots fired.
This is no lie @arielhelwani u don’t actually look that bad considering what you actually do look like, fair play bro. pic.twitter.com/1cLsZLKfT0
— D (@darrentill2) March 29, 2021
Tony working with GSP.
Meanwhile, Khabib is now into the NFT game.
Special Announcement . I am proudly presenting my own NFT collection of unique digital cards.
Checkout https://t.co/Mt21DEYj99 for more info! pic.twitter.com/WUZ3FrBjnS
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) March 30, 2021

[h=1]FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENTS[/h]Tyrell Fortune (9-1) vs. Jack May (11-7); Bellator 255, Apr. 2.
John Gotti III (5-1) vs. Jared Chauvin (3-2); CES 62, Apr. 30.

[h=1]FINAL THOUGHTS[/h]Thanks for reading and see y’all tomorrow.

If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up @JedKMeshew on Twitter and let him know about it. Also follow MMAFighting on Instagram and like us on Facebook.

{feed:enclosure_href }

More...

Back