Morning Report: Vitor Belfort challenges Anthony Pettis to boxing match: ‘I was supposed to fight Roy Jones Jr.’

Muscle Insider

Vitor Belfort wants to get back what he was supposed to have going into Gamebred Boxing 4 this past weekend.
April Fools Day 2023 saw several notable MMA fighters step into the boxing ring in Milwaukee, Wisc. as part of Jorge Masvidal’s Gamebred Boxing 4. Despite the timing of everything, the matchups were no joke after all.
Preceding the evening’s headliner between boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. and former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis was Belfort vs. Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. The pairing was a rematch from their May 2016 MMA fight in Brazil at UFC 198. Jacare bested “The Phenom” in fight No. 1 via a dominant first-round TKO from ground and pound, but couldn’t find the finish in the ring.
The match was Belfort’s second as a professional and came after a 2021 first-round exhibition knockout of Evander Holyfield. In the end, Belfort went the distance with his fellow UFC veteran, winning a unanimous decision. After the event, Belfort revealed that Jacare wasn’t the original idea for his Gamebred Boxing debut.
“I wanted to do six [rounds] because every time I win so quick, it’s hard to get an opponent,” Belfort said at the Gamebred Boxing 4 post-fight press conference. “I was supposed to fight Roy Jones Jr. in this main event. Not Pettis. Was supposed to be legendary guys, but they put Pettis. I have an offer for Gamebred, let’s come to Florida. I was hoping that Roy would win, but Pettis won. Let’s make this fight in Florida, me and Pettis. That is no excuse. So, if not, bring Jake Paul. He’s coming off a loss, I’ll take him. I’ll take Jake Paul and be his dad. Teach him a lesson.”
Like Belfort and Jacare, Jones vs. Pettis also fought to the judges’ scorecards, resulting in an eight-round majority decision victory. Despite fighting as low as 145 pounds in his MMA career, Pettis hovered around the 200-pound mark to set up the Jones video game-type booking. Previously seen in MMA as part of the PFL, Pettis highlighted earlier in the week that his MMA future is up in the air, but if he returns to the promotion it will only be for the PPV events and not the seasonal tournament format
Whether or not Belfort gets his wish of facing “Showtime” next, it probably won’t be too soon as the 46-year-old didn’t get through Jacare unscathed.
“I tore my biceps in the third round and I could not jab so I could not set up my combinations,” Belfort said. “But I have to adapt and I didn’t tell my coaches because I was afraid that someone would hear and stop the fight so I just keep quiet, I’ll find a way.
“I learned with my wife, no complaining. Find a way to resolve problems. But it was tough. He was bleeding and I think the referee would not help me at all. He was coming to me saying, ‘Vitor, stop holding.’ I would say, ‘What? I’m not holding. He’s leaning on me.’ It is what it is.”

Goals. Belal Muhammad only interested in Leon Edwards, Kamaru Usman or Colby Covington next: ‘I’m only looking upwards’
Roundtable. How would another loss to Alex Pereira affect Israel Adesanya’s legacy? Plus more
Plans. Darren Till anticipates boxing next: ‘I would just run over’ Logan Paul and Tommy Fury
Fire. Luke Rockhold on BKFC matchup with Mike Perry: ‘I don’t think this f****** kid understands’
Results. Anthony Pettis pulls off shocking upset to beat Roy Jones Jr. by majority decision at Gamebred Boxing 4
Legend. Benson Henderson admits he had hidden toothpick in mouth for ‘a lot of fights,’ recalls time he accidentally swallowed it

UFC 287 Countdown.
[embedded content]
[embedded content]
Free fights.
[embedded content]
[embedded content]
[embedded content]
UFC 286 Commentary reactions.
[embedded content]
Bellator 293 highlights.
[embedded content]
RIZIN 43 trailer.
[embedded content]
2023 PFL 1 highlights.
[embedded content]
A Masvidal tour.
[embedded content]
Stylebender camp.
[embedded content]
[embedded content]
The CCC return.
[embedded content]
[embedded content]
Sparring.
[embedded content]
Banned subs.
[embedded content]

Bearjew.

Bloopers.

RIZIN 41 highlights.

Views.

Soon.

Indeed.

Best.

Goodnight.

Oh.

Me and Aldo should box— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 2, 2023

Let’s make it happen— BMF.eth (@GamebredFighter) April 2, 2023

Jose Aldo responded to Conor McGregor's suggestion for a rematch in boxing after his draw with Jeremy Stephens at #GamebredBoxing4."We were supposed to fight before in UFC. You run and now you still talk shit." pic.twitter.com/w9DXvw2K0t— Drake Riggs (@DrakeRiggs_) April 2, 2023

Reaction.

Pacheco.

Pearl O’Malley.

Omos is massive.

Sweet.

Doumbe.

Farewell.

Shavkat.

Ballin’.

Death stare.

Warmaster.

Action shots.

Karl Williams (8-1) vs. Chase Sherman (16-11); UFC 287, April 8
Stephanie Egger (8-3) vs. Irina Alekseeva (4-1); UFC Vegas 72, April 29
Kleber Koike (31-6-1) vs. Chihiro Suzuki (10-3); RIZIN 43, June 24

The fact that something like that Gamebred Boxing 4 event can exist now is just super bizarre. As MMA gets older, I only expect we’ll see more and more things like this.
Thanks for reading!

Last Week’s Results:
Friday: 59% of 212 total votes answered “Gamebred Boxing 4” when asked, “Which event are you most looking forward to this weekend?”
Thursday: 63% of 606 total votes answered “Conor McGregor” when asked, “Who retires first [between McGregor and Justin Gaethje]?”
Wednesday: 27% of 559 total votes answered “Ilia Topuria” when asked, “Who should Brian Ortega fight next?”
Tuesday: 53% of 637 total votes answered “No” when asked, “Should Sean O’Malley vs. Marlon Vera 2 happen next?”
Monday: 51% of 510 total votes answered “Merab Dvalishvili” when asked, “Who should Cory Sandhagen fight next?”
Today’s exit poll:

Poll
Are you interested in a Pettis vs. Belfort boxing match?

12%

Yes

(8 votes)

87%

No

(54 votes)

62 votes total

Vote Now

If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up @DrakeRiggs_ on Twitter and let him know about it. Also, follow MMAFighting on Instagram and like us on Facebook.

Vitor Belfort wants to get back what he was supposed to have going into Gamebred Boxing 4 this past weekend.

April Fools Day 2023 saw several notable MMA fighters step into the boxing ring in Milwaukee, Wisc. as part of Jorge Masvidal’s Gamebred Boxing 4. Despite the timing of everything, the matchups were no joke after all.

Preceding the evening’s headliner between boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. and former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis was Belfort vs. Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. The pairing was a rematch from their May 2016 MMA fight in Brazil at UFC 198. Jacare bested “The Phenom” in fight No. 1 via a dominant first-round TKO from ground and pound, but couldn’t find the finish in the ring.

The match was Belfort’s second as a professional and came after a 2021 first-round exhibition knockout of Evander Holyfield. In the end, Belfort went the distance with his fellow UFC veteran, winning a unanimous decision. After the event, Belfort revealed that Jacare wasn’t the original idea for his Gamebred Boxing debut.

“I wanted to do six [rounds] because every time I win so quick, it’s hard to get an opponent,” Belfort said at the Gamebred Boxing 4 post-fight press conference. “I was supposed to fight Roy Jones Jr. in this main event. Not Pettis. Was supposed to be legendary guys, but they put Pettis. I have an offer for Gamebred, let’s come to Florida. I was hoping that Roy would win, but Pettis won. Let’s make this fight in Florida, me and Pettis. That is no excuse. So, if not, bring Jake Paul. He’s coming off a loss, I’ll take him. I’ll take Jake Paul and be his dad. Teach him a lesson.”

Like Belfort and Jacare, Jones vs. Pettis also fought to the judges’ scorecards, resulting in an eight-round majority decision victory. Despite fighting as low as 145 pounds in his MMA career, Pettis hovered around the 200-pound mark to set up the Jones video game-type booking. Previously seen in MMA as part of the PFL, Pettis highlighted earlier in the week that his MMA future is up in the air, but if he returns to the promotion it will only be for the PPV events and not the seasonal tournament format

Whether or not Belfort gets his wish of facing “Showtime” next, it probably won’t be too soon as the 46-year-old didn’t get through Jacare unscathed.

“I tore my biceps in the third round and I could not jab so I could not set up my combinations,” Belfort said. “But I have to adapt and I didn’t tell my coaches because I was afraid that someone would hear and stop the fight so I just keep quiet, I’ll find a way.

“I learned with my wife, no complaining. Find a way to resolve problems. But it was tough. He was bleeding and I think the referee would not help me at all. He was coming to me saying, ‘Vitor, stop holding.’ I would say, ‘What? I’m not holding. He’s leaning on me.’ It is what it is.”

Goals. Belal Muhammad only interested in Leon Edwards, Kamaru Usman or Colby Covington next: ‘I’m only looking upwards

Roundtable. How would another loss to Alex Pereira affect Israel Adesanya’s legacy? Plus more

Plans. Darren Till anticipates boxing next: ‘I would just run over’ Logan Paul and Tommy Fury

Fire. Luke Rockhold on BKFC matchup with Mike Perry: ‘I don’t think this f****** kid understands

Results. Anthony Pettis pulls off shocking upset to beat Roy Jones Jr. by majority decision at Gamebred Boxing 4

Legend. Benson Henderson admits he had hidden toothpick in mouth for ‘a lot of fights,’ recalls time he accidentally swallowed it

UFC 287 Countdown.

Free fights.

UFC 286 Commentary reactions.

Bellator 293 highlights.

RIZIN 43 trailer.

2023 PFL 1 highlights.

A Masvidal tour.

Stylebender camp.

The CCC return.

Sparring.

Banned subs.

Bearjew.

Bloopers.

RIZIN 41 highlights.

Views.

Soon.

Indeed.

Best.

Goodnight.

Oh.

Me and Aldo should box

— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 2, 2023
[/quote]

Let’s make it happen

— BMF.eth (@GamebredFighter) April 2, 2023
[/quote]

Jose Aldo responded to Conor McGregor's suggestion for a rematch in boxing after his draw with Jeremy Stephens at #GamebredBoxing4.

"We were supposed to fight before in UFC. You run and now you still talk shit." pic.twitter.com/w9DXvw2K0t

— Drake Riggs (@DrakeRiggs_) April 2, 2023
[/quote]

Reaction.

Pacheco.

Pearl O’Malley.

Omos is massive.

Sweet.

Doumbe.

Farewell.

Shavkat.

Ballin’.

Death stare.

Warmaster.

Action shots.

Karl Williams (8-1) vs. Chase Sherman (16-11); UFC 287, April 8

Stephanie Egger (8-3) vs. Irina Alekseeva (4-1); UFC Vegas 72, April 29

Kleber Koike (31-6-1) vs. Chihiro Suzuki (10-3); RIZIN 43, June 24

The fact that something like that Gamebred Boxing 4 event can exist now is just super bizarre. As MMA gets older, I only expect we’ll see more and more things like this.

Thanks for reading!

Last Week’s Results:

Friday: 59% of 212 total votes answered “Gamebred Boxing 4” when asked, “Which event are you most looking forward to this weekend?

Thursday: 63% of 606 total votes answered “Conor McGregor” when asked, “Who retires first [between McGregor and Justin Gaethje]?

Wednesday: 27% of 559 total votes answered “Ilia Topuria” when asked, “Who should Brian Ortega fight next?

Tuesday: 53% of 637 total votes answered “No” when asked, “Should Sean O’Malley vs. Marlon Vera 2 happen next?

Monday: 51% of 510 total votes answered “Merab Dvalishvili” when asked, “Who should Cory Sandhagen fight next?

Today’s exit poll:

Poll
Are you interested in a Pettis vs. Belfort boxing match?

• 12%

Yes

(8 votes)

87%

No

(54 votes)

62 votes total

Vote Now

If you find something you’d like to see in the Morning Report, hit up @DrakeRiggs_ on Twitter and let him know about it. Also, follow MMAFighting on Instagram and like us on Facebook.

Click here to view the article.

Back