Nick Walker Shares ‘The Only 10 Exercises You Will Ever Need to Build Muscles’

Muscle Insider

Leading 2023 Mr. Olympia contender Nick Walker took a break from preparations to discuss exercise selection. In a recent YouTube video, Walker revealed the top movements he would perform if he could only choose ten.
Nick Walker is easily one of the most exciting stars in the sport, especially within the Men’s Open division. In 2021, he catapulted into the deep end of the category, having claimed gold at back-to-back contests at the New York Pro and Arnold Classic. Walker’s huge arms combined with mass and conditioning stole the show in his first Olympia appearance, as he finished fifth.
In 2022, Walker used the off-season to add size while still keeping his waist narrow. He routinely tipped the scales at over 300 pounds last year and when it was time to step on the Olympia stage, ‘The Mutant’ seized the moment. He battled with contenders Derek Lunsford and Hadi Choopan in the finals. Walker would settle for third while Choopan went on to become the first Iranian-born Mr. Olympia.
Having shown improvements on the sport’s biggest stage, Walker rolled the dice and entered the 2023 Arnold Classic. He was unable to defeat Samson Dauda, who won the show with size, balance, and symmetry. Despite the loss, Walker is highly confident ahead of Olympia. He doesn’t believe Choopan or Dauda will be in the running for gold.

Many believe Walker’s quads held him back from gold on the Olympia stage, including judge Terrick El Guindy. He predicted that Walker could one day win the Olympia title if he’s able to bring the same level of quad conditioning displayed by retired mainstay Branch Warren.
Nick Walker Lists His Top 10 Exercises for Muscle Growth
A few weeks ago, reigning four-time Classic Physique Olympia Chris Bumstead started a craze by offering his ten most crucial exercises. Now, fans can compare Cbum’s workout list with Walker’s, which can be found below:

Incline dumbbell press
Smith squat
Cable Curls
Pull-ups
Push-ups
Romanian deadlifts
Leg Press
Barbell rows
Rope push downs
Seated Hamstring Curl

Incline dumbbell press
“First on my list is the incline dumbbell press. I just think those are a very great movement for the chest. I like to incorporate that to build the upper chest.”
Smith squat
“I would choose a Smith squat over a free weight squat. I know what they say about the free weight squat but I think as a bodybuilder you get a better connection with a Smith squat versus a free weight squat, that’s just my opinion.”
Cable Curls
“Cable curls. I’m a big fan of the cables and I think cable curls for biceps is a very good exercise to have in there just because of the constant tension full range of motion, squeezing, never lose tension throughout the whole thing. Dumbbells you can kind of lose it somewhere in there. I think cable curls are a great one,” Walker shared.
Pull-ups
“100% pull-ups. I think pull-ups is one of the most underrated exercises that people just don’t utilize it enough. In my opinion, pull-ups, if you’re doing it assisted or free weight, that to me is what builds the ultimate back.”
Push-ups
“Push-ups, again, I think push-ups are a very underrated exercise. This isn’t an exercise I necessarily want to start a workout with but it is something I would end with to really burn it out and put as much blood volume into the muscle as possible. I think, I’ve been doing that or dips, dips are tricky. Push-ups I feel at the end of the workout can really be utilized and very effective.”
Romanian deadlifts
“I would do RDLs, whether it’s a dumbbell or a barbell – I think either or can be very effective but some sort of RDL. I choose this over a deadlift just simply because I feel deadlifts, the ego, again, can get in the way a little too much. I know when I deadlift, I’m like let’s lift some fucking heavy shit. When you’re doing an RDL, you’re more prone to concentrate on hitting the hamstring and focusing on that primary muscle.”
Leg Press
“I would choose a leg press. To me, I’ve done leg press the majority of my entire career. I think between those and the Smith squat, they build extremely good quads.”

Barbell rows
“Next, a barbell rows. I need barbell rows for a big back, it’s very beneficial. I’m not going to be specific, whether it’s free weight or Smith. Whatever works best for you. But some sort of row, whether it’s chest supported, Smith or even a free weight. I incorporate all three.”
Rope push downs
“Pushdowns. I think some sort of rope push down. It’s not necessarily a mass builder but I think it can be. It’s a good shaping movement for a tricep without hindering the joints so much. I do a rope push down every tricep workout that I have pretty much whether I start with it or end with it.”
Seated Hamstring Curl
“Last, seated leg curls. Probably one no one thinks about. I’m going to go with a seated leg curl for the hamstrings. I feel for me these have built my hamstrings the best. The seated leg curl. I contract with them the best. I feel I get a full stretch with them the best. I can contract with them the best. The last I’m going to pick is seated hamstring curl.”
Walker wasn’t the only person from the fitness community to give his rendition of Bumstead’s list. ATHLEAN-X’s Jeff Cavaliere also tackled the subject. He agreed with the majority of Cbum’s exercise selections except for his choice to include a close-grip flat bench press.
Aside from exercise selection, Nick Walker has been an open book about his progress. During an off-season push day workout, he offered secrets for building a bigger chest. Then, in a Mutant and the Mouth Podcast appearance, Walker revealed that his quads have grown considerably since his last competition in Ohio.
With less than four months until 2023 Olympia, Walker is eager to get back on stage and prove himself as one of the best. Fans look forward to seeing him rematch Lunsford, Choopan, and Dauda later this year.
RELATED: Nick Walker on 2023 Olympia: ‘Samson Dauda’s Back is Shit, Big Ramy Is Done & Andrew Jacked Won’t Make Top 5’
Watch the full video from Nick Walker’s YouTube channel below:

Published: 20 July, 2023 | 9:29 PM EDT

Collage-Maker-20-Jul-2023-03-15-PM-4952.jpg
Leading 2023 Mr. Olympia contender Nick Walker took a break from preparations to discuss exercise selection. In a recent YouTube video, Walker revealed the top movements he would perform if he could only choose ten.

Nick Walker is easily one of the most exciting stars in the sport, especially within the Men’s Open division. In 2021, he catapulted into the deep end of the category, having claimed gold at back-to-back contests at the New York Pro and Arnold Classic. Walker’s huge arms combined with mass and conditioning stole the show in his first Olympia appearance, as he finished fifth.

In 2022, Walker used the off-season to add size while still keeping his waist narrow. He routinely tipped the scales at over 300 pounds last year and when it was time to step on the Olympia stage, ‘The Mutant’ seized the moment. He battled with contenders Derek Lunsford and Hadi Choopan in the finals. Walker would settle for third while Choopan went on to become the first Iranian-born Mr. Olympia.

Having shown improvements on the sport’s biggest stage, Walker rolled the dice and entered the 2023 Arnold Classic. He was unable to defeat Samson Dauda, who won the show with size, balance, and symmetry. Despite the loss, Walker is highly confident ahead of Olympia. He doesn’t believe Choopan or Dauda will be in the running for gold.

Many believe Walker’s quads held him back from gold on the Olympia stage, including judge Terrick El Guindy. He predicted that Walker could one day win the Olympia title if he’s able to bring the same level of quad conditioning displayed by retired mainstay Branch Warren.

Nick Walker Lists His Top 10 Exercises for Muscle Growth
A few weeks ago, reigning four-time Classic Physique Olympia Chris Bumstead started a craze by offering his ten most crucial exercises. Now, fans can compare Cbum’s workout list with Walker’s, which can be found below:

[*]Incline dumbbell press
[*]Smith squat
[*]Cable Curls
[*]Pull-ups
[*]Push-ups
[*]Romanian deadlifts
[*]Leg Press
[*]Barbell rows
[*]Rope push downs
[*]Seated Hamstring Curl

Incline dumbbell press
“First on my list is the incline dumbbell press. I just think those are a very great movement for the chest. I like to incorporate that to build the upper chest.”

[/quote]
Smith squat
“I would choose a Smith squat over a free weight squat. I know what they say about the free weight squat but I think as a bodybuilder you get a better connection with a Smith squat versus a free weight squat, that’s just my opinion.”

[/quote]
Cable Curls
“Cable curls. I’m a big fan of the cables and I think cable curls for biceps is a very good exercise to have in there just because of the constant tension full range of motion, squeezing, never lose tension throughout the whole thing. Dumbbells you can kind of lose it somewhere in there. I think cable curls are a great one,” Walker shared.

[/quote]
Pull-ups
“100% pull-ups. I think pull-ups is one of the most underrated exercises that people just don’t utilize it enough. In my opinion, pull-ups, if you’re doing it assisted or free weight, that to me is what builds the ultimate back.”

[/quote]
Push-ups
“Push-ups, again, I think push-ups are a very underrated exercise. This isn’t an exercise I necessarily want to start a workout with but it is something I would end with to really burn it out and put as much blood volume into the muscle as possible. I think, I’ve been doing that or dips, dips are tricky. Push-ups I feel at the end of the workout can really be utilized and very effective.”

[/quote]
Romanian deadlifts
“I would do RDLs, whether it’s a dumbbell or a barbell – I think either or can be very effective but some sort of RDL. I choose this over a deadlift just simply because I feel deadlifts, the ego, again, can get in the way a little too much. I know when I deadlift, I’m like let’s lift some fucking heavy shit. When you’re doing an RDL, you’re more prone to concentrate on hitting the hamstring and focusing on that primary muscle.”

[/quote]
Leg Press
“I would choose a leg press. To me, I’ve done leg press the majority of my entire career. I think between those and the Smith squat, they build extremely good quads.”

[/quote]

Barbell rows
“Next, a barbell rows. I need barbell rows for a big back, it’s very beneficial. I’m not going to be specific, whether it’s free weight or Smith. Whatever works best for you. But some sort of row, whether it’s chest supported, Smith or even a free weight. I incorporate all three.”

[/quote]
Rope push downs
“Pushdowns. I think some sort of rope push down. It’s not necessarily a mass builder but I think it can be. It’s a good shaping movement for a tricep without hindering the joints so much. I do a rope push down every tricep workout that I have pretty much whether I start with it or end with it.”

[/quote]
Seated Hamstring Curl
“Last, seated leg curls. Probably one no one thinks about. I’m going to go with a seated leg curl for the hamstrings. I feel for me these have built my hamstrings the best. The seated leg curl. I contract with them the best. I feel I get a full stretch with them the best. I can contract with them the best. The last I’m going to pick is seated hamstring curl.”

[/quote]
Walker wasn’t the only person from the fitness community to give his rendition of Bumstead’s list. ATHLEAN-X’s Jeff Cavaliere also tackled the subject. He agreed with the majority of Cbum’s exercise selections except for his choice to include a close-grip flat bench press.

Aside from exercise selection, Nick Walker has been an open book about his progress. During an off-season push day workout, he offered secrets for building a bigger chest. Then, in a Mutant and the Mouth Podcast appearance, Walker revealed that his quads have grown considerably since his last competition in Ohio.

With less than four months until 2023 Olympia, Walker is eager to get back on stage and prove himself as one of the best. Fans look forward to seeing him rematch Lunsford, Choopan, and Dauda later this year.

RELATED: Nick Walker on 2023 Olympia: ‘Samson Dauda’s Back is Shit, Big Ramy Is Done & Andrew Jacked Won’t Make Top 5’

Watch the full video from Nick Walker’s YouTube channel below:

Published: 20 July, 2023 | 9:29 PM EDT

Click here to view the article.

Back