Planet Fitness laughs

EMW14

I'll start this off with a disclaimer: I've never been to a Planet Fitness.

However, my 23 year old daughter has been going as a guest of a couple of her friends. This morning I had her spotting me on bench press and she started telling me about it. One of the first things she said was that she saw signs for "pizza night " and "bagel Tuesday". She is not necessarily into fitness; she is an avid yoga enthusiast and mindful of what she east to an extent. But she's 23... So as she's telling me about this, she makes a face and says something like, "Wtf is this doing here? I guess that'she motivation... Work hard in the gym and reward yourself with pizza??? Or, 'Go ahead, have pizza and then work it all off'???" LOL!! So I told her about MC and how all the guys here make fun of PF... LOL!!

As funny as that is, I am delighted that she's going to a gym somewhere. I also told her she's welcome to use our gym any time she wants. Her response?

"I don't really 'want' to work out; I mean, I don't enjoy it..." But she was athletic all her life, gymnastics as a young kid (and for quite a few years), softball, lacrosse, track and horseback riding (including hauling hay, mucking stalls, handling tack, etc - she wasn't going to get to ride while someone else did all the work...), so she's always been in pretty good shape. Since graduating high school, she didn't get involved with sports in college and has seen her condition decline, so she's doing something about it. I'm happy with that!

As much as we rag on Planet fitness. There has to be a starting place for newbie that makes them feel welcome, the problem is when they never graduate to the next level gym and/or developement. Good for your daughter, at least this is a start; maybe she will get the bug like her dad!!!

As much as I travel, I know that there will be a time when I visit a planet fitness; I might get kicked out but at least I will think it is funny.

Biggest problem with Planet Fitness is their lack of a complete line of equipment and the crowds. Best thing about it is the price, $10 a month. With startup fees it comes to around $175 a year. I just visited a new gym that had a nice line of equipment, all the newest types of machines. But their price was $650 a year and with startup fees it was $725 a year. Just too expense. There were only 3 people in there by late afternoon.

As much as we rag on Planet fitness. There has to be a starting place for newbie that makes them feel welcome, the problem is when they never graduate to the next level gym and/or developement. Good for your daughter, at least this is a start; maybe she will get the bug like her dad!!!

As much as I travel, I know that there will be a time when I visit a planet fitness; I might get kicked out but at least I will think it is funny.

I totally agree with you about a starting place and being comfortable. Or at least not intimidated. Having unlimited guest priveleges is a nice benefit also, which is how she's getting in there. If not for that, she wouldn't be going at all.

OTOH, when I told her about the "NO" rules: no grunting, supersetting, etc (she doesn't even know what supersetting is), even she - a total newbie - thought the no grunting or whatever it actually says is ridiculous. "I can hear you from my room... When I'm doing yoga I breathe heavy and grunt and groan" or words to that effect. "It's necessary! " That was her response.

Now, my daughter is not the most fragile personality out there... I suppose there are plenty of people who would be frightened by the big, scary guy over there in the corner growling, grunting and bellowing while he throws iron plates around with a clang.... LOLOL!!!!!! Well, I just can't help but think that shit is funny!!!

Here she is in one of her yoga poses. Yoga'so not my thing, but she loves it. And truth be told, she's helped me with some much needed stretching at times.

That she does this stuff, both in classes as a student and informally leading others (she isn't a certified instructor, but badly wants to be) helps her to not be intimidated in the gym...

Attachments

• 2016-01-31 11.33.23.jpg
    2016-01-31 11.33.23.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 13
Here she is in one of her yoga poses. Yoga'so not my thing, but she loves it. And truth be told, she's helped me with some much needed stretching at times.

That she does this stuff, both in classes as a student and informally leading others (she isn't a certified instructor, but badly wants to be) helps her to not be intimidated in the gym...
Wow

Double Wow.

I did yoga once; I think that is enough for a life time. I sweat through my shirt in the first 5 minutes.

Amazing strength

Not to mention balance!

Here's another laugh: my wife taught our 19 month old granddaughter (so that would be the Yoga Kid's niece) to tickle my daughter while she's upside down... At the time, it didn't seem like the baby was catching on, but days later our daughter texted my wide and said, "Thanks a lot for teaching her to tickle me!" LOL!!

And yes, I am very impressed with her strength and flexibility! I have no idea how she gets into some of the poses she does...

This- I have been kicked out of the PF.
I dropped the weights (by accident).
I hate that place.

I'm all for Planet Fitness. They drive the prices down and keep all the idiots out of the real gyms!

Back