Release from Depot site and timing of blood serum level testing

EMW14

It's generally accepted practice when testing for low testosterone to draw blood early in the morning because this is when the natural testosterone level is highest. Insurance companies, whose doctors look over YOUR doctor's shoulder insist upon it and in fact may deny a claim for low T treatment if this requirement isn't met (this could easily be the subject of another thread, or at least a very enthusiastic rant). This makes a little bit of sense, I guess, when evaluating a new patient for TRT.

However, once a guy is already taking exogenous testosterone, how much does the timing of the test really matter? My guess is that it matters not at all. I am guessing that the hormone is released from the Depot site according to the carrier oil's half life, however that works, exactly, and that the time of day isn't really a factor.

Am I completely off base on this? Does the body still regulate T levels according to the "circadian rhythm" even though the T it's getting isn't coming from the "normal" source? If so, how is this possible? If the HPTA axis is no longer telling the body to produce testosterone, does the body somehow still regulate serum levels of testosterone from injections? This seems impossible to me... It seems like it would have to store it somewhere and release it early in the morning in order for this to be the case. But we know it's being cleaved off the carrier oil and released into the blood stream at a specific rate, depending on the vehicle (cyp or enth or prop or whatever). Right?

Am I way off base on this? I know I ain't no doctor, but I also know that MANY people in the medical community don't know what the fuck they're talking about when they make statements of "absolute fact", especially on the subject of hormones.

So, somebody please enlighten me, if you can.

Interesting theory, would be interesting if someone could find some hard data on this subject.

You have several T spikes during the day and it is common for the largest to be some time in the morning although not necessarily upon waking. Yes it is affected by circadian rhythm , but to pinpoint your highest or lowest spike of T would be very difficult I would say.

So many more factors are involved in the "release" of hormone from an oil depot. I have posted several articles detailing it on here.

The math states that not only does the ester matter, but the viscosity of the oil and the amount of solvent including in the solution. Also the ability of your body to absorb plays a large factor, and that can be affected by the body itself and the placement of the injection.

The release of hormone from a depot would look very much like several spikes of release vs. a slow continuous release. So it is entirely theoretically possible that you can have higher peaks in the morning do to other biological factors effecting the hormone depot. For example , higher heat could possibly lower the viscosity of your solution injected.

- - - Updated - - -

Also receptor sensitivity can change throughout the day.

Back