Strength at your bench sticking point

jtunderdog

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
Gold Member
Anyone set the pins on the smith machine and let the weight completely stop and then push it up? Seems like this would help with strength at the bottom of the movement. Im sure this has been said before but Im trying it since Ive been stuck for a while at my bench press weight. Any other ideas to get past this sticking point?

Pin presses will help out, but where is your sticking point? Is it at lock out or off the chest or somewhere in the middle?

Did you see the tip in the Dorian video about the extra negatives? Lower each rep slowly to get the most out of the negative movement and when you can't push it up any more, have your spotter help lift it and do the negative (downward) movement a few more times.

Did you see the tip in the Dorian video about the extra negatives? Lower each rep slowly to get the most out of the negative movement and when you can't push it up any more, have your spotter help lift it and do the negative (downward) movement a few more times.

This will also help your stabilizing muscles which will allow the weight to not mind fuck you. Meaning that once you've felt the weight in your hands, you'll realize that you've handled it before. I read a while back that your brain restricts up to 10% of muscle strength meaning if your max is 300, you're more likely good for up to 330, but you end up thinking too much about the weight and it fucks you. I don't know about 10%, but I know firsthand that if you load a bar for someone and they think it's one weight and it's actually more and they don't realize it, they'll probably be able to get it or come close

yeah, I do this sometimes...its a method that I seen charles glass use on some clients...

Back