Typical Day in Prison Camp | Limitless Bodybuilding

Muscle Insider

Typical Day in Prison Camp
Limitless Bodybuilding
By PJ Braun

My first article back to writing, I told you guys about my journey to this prison camp. Now that I have been here at my “final destination” for six months now, I figured I would give you an update on what a typical day entails and how I am doing. I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and drink 3 teaspoons of Folgers instant coffee and take a baby aspirin. I also drink 32 ounces of water and wait for them to clear the 5:00 a.m. count so I can go outside to train. Sometimes they clear the count by 5:30 and others it’s not till 5:50, so depending on how fast I get outside greatly determines how much volume I can do. I do one body part a day like I did in my old serious bodybuilding years. My workouts are done outside but I can go under a gazebo if it’s raining. This has been quite unique to say the least because there have been a couple of days where the temperature dropped below 30, which is certainly a different experience than your mild, air-conditioned gyms.

I have not missed one workout since I got here on May 23rd. Many of the guys comment on my determination, but I am quick to remind them that this was my life for nearly 30 years and it’s all I really have keeping me happy while I am away from Marissa and my family and being in the free world. It’s very therapeutic for me. I race inside around 6:45 and call Marissa to say “good morning” then I try to get to a shower, get dressed and have my cube inspection ready by the absolute latest of 7:30.

I am in the RDAP program, which stands for Residential Drug and Alcohol Program. This is a behavioral program that is a privilege to qualify for but it’s also VERY stressful. It’s a Modified Therapeutic Community and in my opinion, if you can’t make it through this you won’t make it in the free world, but at the same time if you can make it and really apply yourself, you are going to have some serious tools for success. My family says they see a lot of change in me already. I think I have become a much better listener, but I still have a lot of struggles. I am impulsive, I struggle with demand thinking and often lack objectivity, but I have been focusing on my weaknesses a lot.

We are in programming from 7:45-10:45 then we clear for lunch. I usually only go to lunch Tuesday to Thursday but I like to go on the weekends because they serve a brunch, which is a nice change. After lunch I check my emails and then I start my job, which is the orderly for the TV room in my wing. I am basically a janitor, and this room gets a lot of traffic, so it is always in need of a lot of work from mopping to dusting to scrubbing the microwave and cleaning the phones and computers. I usually finish around 1:00 p.m. and then I focus on some treatment work or write letters till 2:00 p.m. At 2:00 p.m. I change into workout grays and head outside to walk for an hour with my buddy Mr. Boyle aka Boston, who is my closest friend in RDAP. He is a 68-year-old businessman who has had much success in life but what I love about him the most is the kind of family man he is. Married for 40 years with kids and grandkids who I have met at visitation, he is someone I look up to a lot and we have sort of adopted a father-son relationship in here, which has been very special for me, and I like to think for him as well because we look out for each other and keep each other sane and smiling!

I come inside at 3:00 p.m. and make a meal, then I shower and get ready for the 4:00 p.m. standing count. You must be standing next to your cube at 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for the counts or you can receive and incident report and that can affect your time at the camp with going home. Once the 4:00 p.m. count is clear they serve dinner and many of the guys relax or go outside to play sports or dominos, chess, card games etc. I prefer to stay in my cube and read. I have read about 80 books so far and it’s been wonderful. I forgot how much I loved to read. I have read a lot of fiction. I really love Stephen King, but I have read some outstanding nonfiction as well. Of everything I have gone through, my two favorites would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung.

Being off the testosterone in here has been rough. I expected it to be though. I mean think about it. I went from an ideal bodybuilding scenario, especially for anyone over 40. HRT testosterone, 2 units of GH daily, 1mg of Arimidex every three days, the best supplements from Blackstone Labs as well as weekly IV drips of vitamins and glutathione, massage therapy weekly, whatever food I wanted, cryotherapy and other therapeutic treatments when I wanted. I knew I had it good out there and I never took it for granted, but now as I write this at 269 pounds way softer than I have been in a long time and way sorer than I have been in years, I really miss it. My back has been a mess in here as well as my hips. I am often exhausted by 5:00 p.m. and fall asleep for an hour, which never happened in the free world. I am definitely going to do an article on the stuff I miss the most in supplements and why. All that being said, I train really damn hard every day and although I have been taking a lot of Advil (I try to not take more than 800mg a day and not every day), I am doing pretty good. I feel strong and mobile, and I can’t wait to get back to the gym when I come home because this has woken the demons in me for sure!

My day ends the same seven days a week. At 9:30 a group of about 15-20 guys from all different walks of life gets together for what we call "Conversations with a Higher Power.” It’s a prayer group and one man reads followed by another saying a prayer for the group. We pray for our families and loved ones, we ask God to look after the staff and our counselors, and to keep guiding us and giving us strength. We thank Him for the air in our lungs and we finish with “Our Father” and then something truly unique happens. We all hug each other. It started with fist bumps and progressed more and more through our faith in God to bear hugs, which I have heard from a lot of the guys who have been down a while and came from higher-level institutions is truly rare. No one thinks it’s weird, or uncomfortable, we just say God bless you and thank you and carry on. I never would have expected the camaraderie and fellowship, but the Lord works in mysterious ways and there is an important message in all this. Until next time, I love you all, peace out, bye!

Instagram @pjbraunfitness
blackstonelabs.com

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMSSUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY
GET OFFICIAL MD STUFFVISIT OUR STORE
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAM YOUTUBE

x469553722-limitless-bodybuilding-slider.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.cjRFuU0n4A.jpg

469553710-blackstone-logo-black-copy.png

Typical Day in Prison Camp

Limitless Bodybuilding

By PJ Braun

My first article back to writing, I told you guys about my journey to this prison camp. Now that I have been here at my “final destination” for six months now, I figured I would give you an update on what a typical day entails and how I am doing. I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and drink 3 teaspoons of Folgers instant coffee and take a baby aspirin. I also drink 32 ounces of water and wait for them to clear the 5:00 a.m. count so I can go outside to train. Sometimes they clear the count by 5:30 and others it’s not till 5:50, so depending on how fast I get outside greatly determines how much volume I can do. I do one body part a day like I did in my old serious bodybuilding years. My workouts are done outside but I can go under a gazebo if it’s raining. This has been quite unique to say the least because there have been a couple of days where the temperature dropped below 30, which is certainly a different experience than your mild, air-conditioned gyms.

I have not missed one workout since I got here on May 23rd. Many of the guys comment on my determination, but I am quick to remind them that this was my life for nearly 30 years and it’s all I really have keeping me happy while I am away from Marissa and my family and being in the free world. It’s very therapeutic for me. I race inside around 6:45 and call Marissa to say “good morning” then I try to get to a shower, get dressed and have my cube inspection ready by the absolute latest of 7:30.

469553713-gjp_17-10-2010-_-pj-braun05-copy-1.jpeg

I am in the RDAP program, which stands for Residential Drug and Alcohol Program. This is a behavioral program that is a privilege to qualify for but it’s also VERY stressful. It’s a Modified Therapeutic Community and in my opinion, if you can’t make it through this you won’t make it in the free world, but at the same time if you can make it and really apply yourself, you are going to have some serious tools for success. My family says they see a lot of change in me already. I think I have become a much better listener, but I still have a lot of struggles. I am impulsive, I struggle with demand thinking and often lack objectivity, but I have been focusing on my weaknesses a lot.

We are in programming from 7:45-10:45 then we clear for lunch. I usually only go to lunch Tuesday to Thursday but I like to go on the weekends because they serve a brunch, which is a nice change. After lunch I check my emails and then I start my job, which is the orderly for the TV room in my wing. I am basically a janitor, and this room gets a lot of traffic, so it is always in need of a lot of work from mopping to dusting to scrubbing the microwave and cleaning the phones and computers. I usually finish around 1:00 p.m. and then I focus on some treatment work or write letters till 2:00 p.m. At 2:00 p.m. I change into workout grays and head outside to walk for an hour with my buddy Mr. Boyle aka Boston, who is my closest friend in RDAP. He is a 68-year-old businessman who has had much success in life but what I love about him the most is the kind of family man he is. Married for 40 years with kids and grandkids who I have met at visitation, he is someone I look up to a lot and we have sort of adopted a father-son relationship in here, which has been very special for me, and I like to think for him as well because we look out for each other and keep each other sane and smiling!

I come inside at 3:00 p.m. and make a meal, then I shower and get ready for the 4:00 p.m. standing count. You must be standing next to your cube at 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for the counts or you can receive and incident report and that can affect your time at the camp with going home. Once the 4:00 p.m. count is clear they serve dinner and many of the guys relax or go outside to play sports or dominos, chess, card games etc. I prefer to stay in my cube and read. I have read about 80 books so far and it’s been wonderful. I forgot how much I loved to read. I have read a lot of fiction. I really love Stephen King, but I have read some outstanding nonfiction as well. Of everything I have gone through, my two favorites would be Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung.

469553718-gjp_17-10-2010-_-pj-braun08-copy-1.jpg

Being off the testosterone in here has been rough. I expected it to be though. I mean think about it. I went from an ideal bodybuilding scenario, especially for anyone over 40. HRT testosterone, 2 units of GH daily, 1mg of Arimidex every three days, the best supplements from Blackstone Labs as well as weekly IV drips of vitamins and glutathione, massage therapy weekly, whatever food I wanted, cryotherapy and other therapeutic treatments when I wanted. I knew I had it good out there and I never took it for granted, but now as I write this at 269 pounds way softer than I have been in a long time and way sorer than I have been in years, I really miss it. My back has been a mess in here as well as my hips. I am often exhausted by 5:00 p.m. and fall asleep for an hour, which never happened in the free world. I am definitely going to do an article on the stuff I miss the most in supplements and why. All that being said, I train really damn hard every day and although I have been taking a lot of Advil (I try to not take more than 800mg a day and not every day), I am doing pretty good. I feel strong and mobile, and I can’t wait to get back to the gym when I come home because this has woken the demons in me for sure!

My day ends the same seven days a week. At 9:30 a group of about 15-20 guys from all different walks of life gets together for what we call "Conversations with a Higher Power.” It’s a prayer group and one man reads followed by another saying a prayer for the group. We pray for our families and loved ones, we ask God to look after the staff and our counselors, and to keep guiding us and giving us strength. We thank Him for the air in our lungs and we finish with “Our Father” and then something truly unique happens. We all hug each other. It started with fist bumps and progressed more and more through our faith in God to bear hugs, which I have heard from a lot of the guys who have been down a while and came from higher-level institutions is truly rare. No one thinks it’s weird, or uncomfortable, we just say God bless you and thank you and carry on. I never would have expected the camaraderie and fellowship, but the Lord works in mysterious ways and there is an important message in all this. Until next time, I love you all, peace out, bye!

Instagram @pjbraunfitness

blackstonelabs.com

469553727-mmi-07-29-2012-_-pj-braun184-copy-1.jpg

DISCUSS ON OUR FORUMS

SUBSCRIBE TO MD TODAY

GET OFFICIAL MD STUFF

VISIT OUR STORE

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

ALSO, MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

INSTAGRAM