Anabolics, Competitions, and the Journey to a 500lbs bench

**12/5/2015 Meet Day** A point to Prove...

Meet day is fast approaching and while discussing my upcoming competition with others the most frequent question I get is “why?” and sometimes the occasional “you are dumb”

Why am I competing so soon, despite some nagging injuries, despite the very real fact, that I won’t bench a PR—which let’s get real the bench is my equalizer to make up for my deadlift and therefore my total won’t be as good as it could be if I were “healed and recovered.”

I am competing to prove a point to myself, a point that I have been proving for quite some time. I DON’T CAVE, I don’t collapse under pressure, I am not a victim of my circumstances, I am a man that perseveres over my obstacles. The competition gives me accountability, a benchmark to see where exactly I am and a roadmap for where I am going next. I don’t care about any excuses, injuries, or setbacks. I am going to do the best that I can in my present state and plan 2016 from there…

Fuckin’ dumb huh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a88f0cf56158d60fc86379f60a72bd58.jpg

153bacd0613b008ac8eb1d3b7657b054.jpg

Today tried out the compression sleeves to help with my bicep tendonitis... Huge success

Due to my mild pec issue I did a low rep high
Volume workout to minimize the extra strain from high reps
20x5

Not a bad day

Just make sure you do not further injure yourself...but otherwise, I see only strength when you push yourself to greater and greater heights!

After lots of tissue work I decided to get back on a nice bench tonight
Did a few singles with 405 then 405 for an easy triple. I was gonna keep going but boss told me no... It's best to listen
275 for 20 as my down set.
Pretty nice day, feels good to be back

Another bench day got up to 415 for a fast single at 33m/second
Not a bad day !!!
The chest is coming back :)
Legs this Sunday

whats your plan for Sundays legs?? I know you have it planned out lol,

and what is going on with the bodybuilding route???

Pretty nice bench session
The extra recovery and massages are paying off.
Got 460 for a clean double. If things keep going this nice I might beat my 480 best in December... Won't know until meet time. This was my last heavy bench workout until then.

Hit squats today too 515 for 2 doubles it was rough, I blame the weekend adventures. Gotta dial it in no more going out !
The second double was nasty, my knee was caving that usually doesn't happen

2015 meet recap

Not a bad day, with any meet there are always variables and things you can't account for. Gotta get under the bar and shut up.... Lift.

Squats
Kept my opener conservative with 515 which was good... Wasn't used to my wraps so had a weird pause/wobble in the hole. Not a big deal.

535 moved smooth as butter, bicep tendonitis flared up a tad here but I had plenty left in me.

560 for my third, thought it was gonna be a smoke show then like 80% of the way up I lost my balance and fell a little backwards. Spotters to the rescue!!

Bench
440 opener. Smoked it

465 took a conservative second because the end goal was to smash 480 matching my 220lbs competition best. Unfortunately I misgrooved my bench and failed

470 for a third. Wanted to end on a good note and 465 damn sure wasn't it. Smashed that bitch

Deadlift... Here was the problem lift. My goal was to simply pull whatever I needed to round out my Elite total. Unfortunately missing my third squat and botching my bench goal of 480 impacted me quite a bit when it came to what I needed to pull.
The deadlift speed and strength is definitely there unfortunately the hands are not.

440 opener smoked

470 needed to hold and failed twice and there went my day

Going to keep focusing on grip training over the next few months. My best grip was 470 for 3 seconds in training and unfortunately my deadlift is a bit longer than 3 seconds.... Just slides right out the hands. Very disappointing.

2015 meet recap

Not a bad day, with any meet there are always variables and things you can't account for. Gotta get under the bar and shut up.... Lift.

Squats
Kept my opener conservative with 515 which was good... Wasn't used to my wraps so had a weird pause/wobble in the hole. Not a big deal.

535 moved smooth as butter, bicep tendonitis flared up a tad here but I had plenty left in me.

560 for my third, thought it was gonna be a smoke show then like 80% of the way up I lost my balance and fell a little backwards. Spotters to the rescue!!

Bench
440 opener. Smoked it

465 took a conservative second because the end goal was to smash 480 matching my 220lbs competition best. Unfortunately I misgrooved my bench and failed

470 for a third. Wanted to end on a good note and 465 damn sure wasn't it. Smashed that bitch

Deadlift... Here was the problem lift. My goal was to simply pull whatever I needed to round out my Elite total. Unfortunately missing my third squat and botching my bench goal of 480 impacted me quite a bit when it came to what I needed to pull.
The deadlift speed and strength is definitely there unfortunately the hands are not.

440 opener smoked

470 needed to hold and failed twice and there went my day

Going to keep focusing on grip training over the next few months. My best grip was 470 for 3 seconds in training and unfortunately my deadlift is a bit longer than 3 seconds.... Just slides right out the hands. Very disappointing.

that sucks bro, but considering your still on the mend, it wasn't a bad showing at all, decent numbers on most of the lifts, and i do have a question, what kind of numbers were being pulled for deadlift in your class? and what totals won the meet?

also do you go to meets as a Team? or do you just fly solo?

that sucks bro, but considering your still on the mend, it wasn't a bad showing at all, decent numbers on most of the lifts, and i do have a question, what kind of numbers were being pulled for deadlift in your class? and what totals won the meet?

also do you go to meets as a Team? or do you just fly solo?

My teammates competed, but there is no team scoring.
A good deadlift would be 600+

My teammates competed, but there is no team scoring.
A good deadlift would be 600+

thnx and i didn't even know their were meets with Team scoring, do they do that? i just meant, like my gym we had a powerlifting team and represented our gym and such, and we all trained together but yeah when you got to the meets it was all solo totals, so i didn't mean team totals, and do they even do that? have teams compete by adding their team totals?

i would guess maybe they do now that you made me think about it lol, and all the meets we were in we never had team totals meets?

Also is that magazine still out for Powerlifting? might be called "powerlifting" lmao i use to love that magazine, and it would list your name in the back pages for what meet you won and such, got my name in it once for winning the war at the shore bench press only competition, anyhow whens ur next comp?

Back