Back training

Boomer

Most people I know train their back like any other muscle and fit it in their routine just like any other muscle... After some thought last night I came to the conclusion that maybe this is wrong. The back is and area not one particular muscle. . We don't train our "front" all on the one day. So why do so many people train their "back" on one day.

I have always split my back workouts. 1week for width 2nd week for thickness and so on.

Do you think it may be beneficial to split this back workouts in the same week just hitting different sections of it?

I train for width and thickness at different times in a week if I have the time. Otherwise I'll spend one day doing exercises for each, but I don't like doing that. My biggest thing with training the whole back is that my biceps get blasted long before my back and I can't seem to get much out of it after that point

so i gather that its not a bad idea to maybe do back twice a week. maybe split them apart a few days Monday/thursday.

as im starting to grow now i notice my back kinda lags. i think i might give this a go n see how it works for me

I personally train width and thickness in the same week. ideally i would train width in the AM and thickness in the PM but things don't always workout that way.

I'm probably not an expert but i think you're really short-changing yourself by not doing both in the same week.

Yeah, once every two weeks is probably not enough. I kind of think that the idea of width and thickness exercises isn't exactly right on either. I mean if you are doing chins and pull overs for your lats they will probably add some amount of thickness to the outer part of your lat at least. And thickness exercises like rows probably add some amount of width too. I think it's best though to combine both of each type of exercise into each back workout to really hit it from both fronts.

Also, what is your exercise selection like? It could be that holding you back too. What area are you noticing that you are lagging?

Back