Best qualities for a gym?

The Dude

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
What do you guys look for in a gym. I know most guys say they want something hardcore, but personally I need a good number of machines. I also like having a not so hardcore group to make me feel good about myself. I also need a place that caters to women. I love training with Silk and I know she isn't going to go someplace where she is the only girl.
I went to a place called Rampage when I went to FSU and it was the best gym I've ever been to. Had great machines, everyone was in pretty good shape and it catered to competitors. There was scarcely a day where you didn't go into a room and see a guy or girl practicing their posing. It seems like most gyms now really don't want bodybuilders

more than one squat rack, more than one rack of dumbells, more than one type of leg press sled...i really hate the leg presses that are hard and the bottom and easy on the top...they swing an arc kinda and that's shitty...i personally like the ones from high school...the old 45degree hip sleds...

Hmm , I guess what i look for in a gym is NOT to stand out too much! I look for a gym where im not the only guy that everyone knows is on somehting, so I like a gym with a bunch of big guys and serious competitors

Hmm , I guess what i look for in a gym is NOT to stand out too much! I look for a gym where im not the only guy that everyone knows is on somehting, so I like a gym with a bunch of big guys and serious competitors

Ahh very good point... it seems most of the bigger guys at my gym left and I'm getting alot more stares now. It's a little irritating when I'm training alone.

a look for a gym that:
1. has dumbells that go to at bare minimum - 150pounds
2. doesnt stink
3. isnt a saussage fest (somtiems you need a view between sets )

a look for a gym that:
1. has dumbells that go to at bare minimum - 150pounds
2. doesnt stink
3. isnt a saussage fest (somtiems you need a view between sets )

lol @ sausage fest! I dont mind that so much as I use to go to a gym that was like going clubbing, the guys and gals got all "did up" and wasted time on machines and shit, and it bothered me, however I met my wife there so....I guess I was part of the problem,lol

gym Im at now is small but has everything you need. I like a wide range of equipment like my old gym had before
it closed. You could come in not feeling like working out and do a total different workout which kept it fresh.
But I have to say after many years I think the most important thing is the people. I just checked out a free
week at a new gym. It was huge and had awsome equipment but filled with idiots. I prefer my small gym with
a good group of guys who work out hard and have a lot of laughs. Helps to have a little fun

All i really need is dumbells, a locker room, and a shower. I gotta be able to squeeze in a workout during the day.

Heavy dumbells and the less women the better. Chalk allowed, bumper plates, squat racks that aren't being used for curls and deadlift platforms. Loud music that doesn't suck and not a social gym, place where people leave you alone and are there to train, not to socialize.

Back