Confused on calories burned during exercise

Bigfrog

I am confused when it comes to how many calories are burned during exercise for different machines. I usually do the Lifefitness crosstrainer machine and burn off about 600 calories in 45 minutes. When I jumped on the stairmaster today I was breathing and sweating much harder than I do when on the crosstrainer, but after 45 minutes it said I only burned off 450 calories. My question is what should I go by, what the machine says I burned off or what my body is telling me when it's pouring out sweat? Because it sure fills like I burned off more calories on the stairmaster than I did on the crosstrainer.

Do you input all of your statistics into the machine before you start (if it is able to take them)? If you don't, I wouldn't trust any of it. The machine has to know your statistics (weight, height, male or female, etc.) to tell you how many calories you really burned off with any accuracy.

Yeah, I put in the weight statistics, but I've never seen it for height or sex yet. It just feels like my body is working a lot harder with the moving stairs then it does with the corsstrainer. But when it's all said and done it says I burned off less calories. So I don't know what to go off of, what my body is telling me or what the machine says?

What you should go by is where your heart rate is. In all honesty the numbers calculated in the cardio equipment are not accurate they serve only as a est. BUT your heart rate is whatz important b/c that will dictate whether you burn fat or everything.

i have never really done cardio because i didnt really need to. but i need to start. im noticing a little extra skin around my belly. so.. what should i keep my heart rate at to burn maximum fat??

da_Fonz said:
What you should go by is where your heart rate is. In all honesty the numbers calculated in the cardio equipment are not accurate they serve only as a est. BUT your heart rate is whatz important b/c that will dictate whether you burn fat or everything.

Just curious...what would the target heart rate be for buring fat? What would be too high? I think I read something on this site before about this, but I'm not sure...

Back