Dumbell Rows too light

105kStrongman

I am a strength athlete, compared to alot of the bodybuilders on here, so although it may seem like I am exaggerating this, those of you who know me over the years know I am in no way embelleshing

My strength is tremendous right now, I have been doing fully functional, good form rows with the 150 dumbells for 25-30 reps and the 200lb dumbells for 10-15 reps with ease....

I do not have access to heavier dumbells, but I want to continue to get even stronger....200's are too easy...I could go high reps, but in my sport, it actually benefits me to do say a 250lb dumbell for 3-6 reps to build more

Question is this, if you ran out of weight as I have, what would you do to find a way to get stronger in this situation?? And I dont want Barbell rows because I do not find them as effective as a bent over row...

Ideas?? Thanks fellas in advance

With the length of a 200 pd dumbell is there any way you could somehow attach chains. I mean thats about the only thing I can think of. If you could find a hook for each end. Maybe try a dumbell bar with olympic holes and use 100 pound plates or something. Im not sure how much those are but in your situation it might be worth a shot.

I am a strength athlete, compared to alot of the bodybuilders on here, so although it may seem like I am exaggerating this, those of you who know me over the years know I am in no way embelleshing

My strength is tremendous right now, I have been doing fully functional, good form rows with the 150 dumbells for 25-30 reps and the 200lb dumbells for 10-15 reps with ease....

I do not have access to heavier dumbells, but I want to continue to get even stronger....200's are too easy...I could go high reps, but in my sport, it actually benefits me to do say a 250lb dumbell for 3-6 reps to build more

Question is this, if you ran out of weight as I have, what would you do to find a way to get stronger in this situation?? And I dont want Barbell rows because I do not find them as effective as a bent over row...

find a way to attach thick resistance bands to add additional tension

I thought about resistance bands but its gonna be hard to keep them balance just like the chains. Chains only need one attach point though so I thought they may be easier to manage.

depends how and where you are doing the rows...i think it can be done with bands, albeit the angle may be slightly off

video please.

Maybe change up how you do them...check out the vids of how "mountaindogg" does his...it is absolutly killer..I had to go a bit lighter when I started doing them this way and my development has been much better too.

This is two years ago with a circus dumbell that was oversized and doesn't really do me justice as this dumbell was awkward and kept hitting me in the chest...

These were 220 a piece and in two years I have progressed in strength, and the 200s I have are normal sized plates, just longer, so imagine how simple they are for me...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPHgok6eCE[/media]

What if you took another dumbbell and crossed it so the dumbbell handles were perpendicular and used a strap to keep them together. It'd be hard to hold especially if you have fat handled dumbbells, but I guess that'd help your grip strength as well. Do you get what I mean? Even if you had to use lighter dumbbells like 2 130# dumbbells and crossed them. I had to do this for a while until our gym went over 100# dumbbells.

wish i had your same problem, thats some strength right there. good luck bro

This is two years ago with a circus dumbell that was oversized and doesn't really do me justice as this dumbell was awkward and kept hitting me in the chest...

These were 220 a piece and in two years I have progressed in strength, and the 200s I have are normal sized plates, just longer, so imagine how simple they are for me...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPHgok6eCE[/media]

nice! do you always let them rest on the floor for each rep?

Nice dude! thats real close to the way I do them too(not quite as much weight though;))..all the way down to the floor for a pause then all the way up..no momentum and you get a huuuuge stretch in your lat. My gym only goes up to 150lb DB so that exercise is usually my 3rd on back day so Im pretty well exhausted by the time I get there and I will hit the 150's for 10-12 reps.

Back