Favorite leg bulker?

mcgaret

Gold Member
Whats everybody's favorite leg exercise to gain size?? (looking for more
options for my DC leg workouts)

as heavy as you can possibly go deadlifts being very strict to get your knees low and body straight try to use your legs to pick up the weight all the way to your upper thighs then just lock out. I love it plus kills every other muscle i have i space out my legs and back day by at least 2 days min. though.

Squats usually put on the most mass for my legs. A good technique for adding strength and size is to only go down 45 degrees instead of 90. There was a study awhile back about this. If I find it I will post it.

winneevee said:
Squats usually put on the most mass for my legs. A good technique for adding strength and size is to only go down 45 degrees instead of 90. There was a study awhile back about this. If I find it I will post it.

No offense to you personally but that idea sounds like a compete load of crap...doesn't make sense any way you slice it

NAIR said:
No offense to you personally but that idea sounds like a compete load of crap...doesn't make sense any way you slice it

It allows you to lift more weight, therefore increase your strength and size. I am looking for the study as we speak. Will post it when I find it.

yeah i dont know if i believe that personally either. There was a guy at my old gym that would load up the leg press machine with like 1800 pounds and im serious when i say this he was about a bill 55 or so goofy lookin pale white with a cutoff and a ball cap on. He would go down literally i mean litterally 3 to 4 inches and go back up for about 8 reps get off and walk around like he was worn out and was big as shit i would just walk away lol.

that post in no way was towards you winnee. I just dont see how that could build more size i would like to read that if you can find it though.

Found a link but not the one I was looking for..

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/power partials.htm

For instance, take a man who can parallel squat 250 pounds for 6-10 repetitions. If he becomes strong enough to lift 300 for 10 repetitions, he will without a doubt have larger legs. Its that simple. A quicker way to adapt to these greater poundage's is to actually lift with them. Unfortunately, it is obvious that this man could probably only lift 300 for perhaps 1-2 reps before hitting failure. However if he uses the partial repetition principle and performs a 45 degree squat rather than a parallel one, he can easily handle this kind of weight for 10-12 repetitions. This will train his neural system to be more efficient at lifting heavier poundage's and it will also stimulate a tremendous amount of fast twitch muscle fiber growth! In short, by doing this, his body will be able to handle this weight at a parallel range, at an extremely faster rate!

I don't know, common sense says if your arn't going down far enough you won't be activating all them muscle fibers you would be if you were doing a real rep. Furthermore, if for some crazy ass reason a half-assed squat was actually a good idea, you wouldn't be seing pro powerlifets going to their ass. Just doesnt make a damn bit of sense.

actually there is some benefit to quarter rep squats. it hits just the quads, not glutes and hams like ass to the ground squats.

winneevee said:
Found a link but not the one I was looking for..

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/power partials.htm

For instance, take a man who can parallel squat 250 pounds for 6-10 repetitions. If he becomes strong enough to lift 300 for 10 repetitions, he will without a doubt have larger legs. Its that simple. A quicker way to adapt to these greater poundage's is to actually lift with them. Unfortunately, it is obvious that this man could probably only lift 300 for perhaps 1-2 reps before hitting failure. However if he uses the partial repetition principle and performs a 45 degree squat rather than a parallel one, he can easily handle this kind of weight for 10-12 repetitions. This will train his neural system to be more efficient at lifting heavier poundage's and it will also stimulate a tremendous amount of fast twitch muscle fiber growth! In short, by doing this, his body will be able to handle this weight at a parallel range, at an extremely faster rate!

This sounds very similar to what is called the x-rep system, only you are using heavier weight. It seems logically sound. Since I am trying to build up my legs, I'm going to give this a try.

this is the same system used for trying to increase bench reps and they're called lock-outs when you just take the bar off the rack and start the bench movement but only come down 3 or so inches and back up. I used to do them at the end of my lifts to get my body used to the feel of the heavier weight. Once your nervous system adapts to the feel of the weight and your supporting muscles do it helps get the real work muscles ready to bang out the reps. It's a tried and true proven system.

Back