Kinda O/T: Carbs-specifically rice

dreww

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
Gold Member
Im adding rice into my diet since I am no longer dieting. I have never used rice as a carb source before. What kind is best?

Im assuming all instant rice is out of the question. No problem, I got a rice cooker and am patient. What about parboiled (wtf does that mean?), long grain, etc. Obviously, Im waning low GI as possible.
Im buying it in bulk at Sam's but they only have white rice varieties. I just picked up what looked the least processed.

Any ideas. I looked up "rice" on bb.com food index and damn, like 100 different kinds. :surprised

Stay as pure and natural as you can. What ever you do, stay the FUCk away from processed, enriched, bleached white rice...Stuff is garbage. You want the purest form of brown and you'll be good to go.

sandiego said:
Stay as pure and natural as you can. What ever you do, stay the FUCk away from processed, enriched, bleached white rice...Stuff is garbage. You want the purest form of brown and you'll be good to go.
well, I got the kind that was unbleached and unenriched I believe. Im pretty sure it was the least processed they had.

the brown rice is a problem, cause I would have to get it a the local store or a "whole foods" or something and with the volume I will be eating, that would get expensive real quick.

38532nd said:
forget the rice it takes to long go right for the flavored rice cakes you'll love them and no cooking
well, as stated above, money is always a variable. Rice cakes aren't the most efficient use of money as I:
A. cant get them in bulk at sam's
B. the price per calorie ratio is much better with plain rice.

do you see my point? I realize this isnt a cheap sport, but saving a little hear and there really adds up. I.E. I buy whole eggs when I usually only need the white. I waste half it, sure. BUT, eggbeaters ends up costing 3x as much as just breaking all the eggs and laboring out all the yolks. Do this with 10 similar scenarios and you are adding up savings.

Last edited:
I hear ya on cost but one of thebiggest problems for me personally is time because I am always on the go with work and don't always have a microwave or kitchen around. I usually eat at least 4 out of seven meals out of my car. Rice cakes are easier which is well worth it for me

rice cakes are also bad for you because they cause an insulin spike and dieter's around the world have learned the hard way that they don't help you lose weight they're actually bad for you.

I go with brown and/or long grain rice but I would limit it to 3 or 4 days a week

Back