Sleep apnea from getting bigger?

S

saudades

Many guys seem to say they have a harder time sleeping as they've gotten bigger. What do you do to control it? I don't really want to have to sleep with a CPAP device. I'm a light sleeper as it is.

I snore alot more, sometimes I even wake myself up with it. Im about 5lbs from my heaviest weight, but its all muscle this time.

I dont have a hard time falling to sleep though. My life is so busy with work and school (and work is getting more and more physical each day). Im pretty much passed out before my head hits the pillow.

Yeah, it isn't falling asleep that's the trouble, it's the waking myself up because I momentarily can't breath (and the snoring).

They tried to put me on a cpap. I have a mild case of apnea and moderate case of restless legs. Apnea can actually be dangerous to some people. I know it does vary in severity with your body weight as well. I had a sleep study done and sleeping with 45 electrodes connected to your head sucks. I wake up with a really dry throat gasping for air at least a couple times a week. I try to take in a lot of fluids before I go to bed and this seems to help except for the fact that I wake up needing to pee in the middle of the night. If you are taking eca the ephedrine can overdry you and actually cause this same type of problem as well.

Sometimes I feel like I'm laying there still awake, yet my wife suddenly taps me and tells me I stopped breathing. I seem to get it more when I'm sick because everything sticks.

If someone is telling you that you stopped breathing, definitely go to a sleep study. Apnea actually causes a decrease in oxygen levels in blood, which is very, very dangerous; even deadly. Remember Reggie White, the Carolina Panthers player? Died from one night not using his CPAP. Yeah, CPAP sucks, and is awful frustrating, but at least I'm not tired in the day, and I know I'm safe. It will eventually take its toll on your body, heart problems, strokes, hypertension, etc.... I would at least say google it and read about the severity of leaving it untreated.

Sometimes I feel like I'm laying there still awake, yet my wife suddenly taps me and tells me I stopped breathing. I seem to get it more when I'm sick because everything sticks.
I have had this happen to me especially if I sleep flat.This is why I have to sleep on one side otherwise I do stop breathing during the night.

Laying on your back (supine) is def. worse for sleep apnea. It is easier for the soft palette to fall down and block airflow. Can't stress the seriousness of this enough, you both should see a sleep doc. or an ENT.

Dug this old thread up, I think I may have sleep apnea, I snore louder than a 747 and I wake up many times during night to spray mosituriser in my mouth due to dry mouth. I've heard that GH causes dry mouth in some.

Can anyone give me any feedback on a cpap machine? I'm uninsured and cant afford the 4K for sleep study but I can swing a used cpap that I see on craigs and ebay, some for in the $250 range. I know you have pressure settings on them, is this something I can tinker with myself until I get it right?

OTOH I dont have SA, just mouth coming open causing dry mouth, do any of you use those straps to keep the jaw closed? I'm tired of being tired during day and waking up 8 times a night....

Dug this old thread up, I think I may have sleep apnea, I snore louder than a 747 and I wake up many times during night to spray mosituriser in my mouth due to dry mouth. I've heard that GH causes dry mouth in some.

Can anyone give me any feedback on a cpap machine? I'm uninsured and cant afford the 4K for sleep study but I can swing a used cpap that I see on craigs and ebay, some for in the $250 range. I know you have pressure settings on them, is this something I can tinker with myself until I get it right?

OTOH I dont have SA, just mouth coming open causing dry mouth, do any of you use those straps to keep the jaw closed? I'm tired of being tired during day and waking up 8 times a night....

not real sure about the machine bro sorry. and i never heard about straps to keep the moputh closed. I too snore when i get to a certian weight. when i drop to a certain weight my wife says I stop snoring complety. But when I gain the weight back my wife says my snoring is unbearable, and i actualy wake myself up from snoring, its soo bad! I wake up and that thing hanging in the back of ur throat is swollen realy realy bad for a good half hour after wakeing up

if you can stand sleeping with a rolled towel or small pillow under your neck it may help some. try to get it where your chin points toward the ceiling of the room. this opens the airway.
obviously it wouldnt be easy to maintain that position all night but it would help

not real sure about the machine bro sorry. and i never heard about straps to keep the moputh closed. I too snore when i get to a certian weight. when i drop to a certain weight my wife says I stop snoring complety. But when I gain the weight back my wife says my snoring is unbearable, and i actualy wake myself up from snoring, its soo bad! I wake up and that thing hanging in the back of ur throat is swollen realy realy bad for a good half hour after wakeing up
I call that thing the tallywhacker, not the formal name.

Ok, you guys hit the nail exactly right . I'm a loud Ass sleeper and was always tired in the day time . Gained some weight and never recovered from workouts for crap. I gave in . Paid 900$ as my part for sleep
test at local hospitol sleep study area . Hooked up to a million wires to my big ass noggin. First night never slept a wink as some chick watched me on camera to see what I do in my sleep etc.later after dr looked over results , I had severe sleep apnea.It creates high bloodpressure just to name one thing. Came back for another study and hooked to cpap with just nose device under the nose. Didn't sleep ..lol. They then prescribed me a resperonic unit. My cost 400$ w/ insurance . Now I was told if you are broke most major big city hospitols have free or low price test and units. Got unit home, always slept with mouth open etc. So they gave me a chin strap to keep mouth shut. Lol. I fought that fukin thing for 4weeks . Now I wear no chin strap. Just nose device under nose called nasal pad. And I sleep like a fukin newborn till I end up
wrapping the hose around my fukin neck! Lol. Long story .. It's a bitch but now have low bloodpressure, and a device to make payments.It's a great conversation piece for new bush that I meet. Total cost no insurance 3700$. eBay has them but buy new nasal pad and hoses cause who knows where the hell they've been !

U-tube video of Shaq sleep test! His new girl made him get a sleep
Test but he did it at home cause he's got the cabbage to pay for in home anything he wants . She's hot btw!

MY girl thinks I have sleep apnea because I can literally fall asleep in a matter of 30 seconds and almost immediately go into a dream which is supposed to take some time to get to that point. It's weird, but I can fall asleep almost instantly, I only really snore when I am on my back, if I'm on my side or chest I don't snore at all. My gf says that she just holds my nose when I'm snoring and then I quit, not sure if that'd help you out or not though

Last night my wife made me blow up the air mattress and sleep in the other room because of my snoring. Hopefully I can get my study done next week and get a breathing machine. I miss my bed....

Don't the breathing machines make some noise as they are running as well? I know I've been around people that use them, but I can't remember for sure, but I thought it was like a constant humming almost

Back