Strengthening Knees?

fstr03svtcobra

I heard Scott Cochran (UA's flamboyant strength coach) talking about how he has some special routine for strengthening the knees to help players avoid injury. What exercises strengthen the knees? I'd love to have knees that don't ache when I squat or when I sprint, but I always though achy knees was just part of the territory when you train legs heavy. Any input guys??

Anything that builds the muscles around the knees will help with achy knees. And high reps medium weight. I know going heavy absolutely destroyed both my knees and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have gone so heavy with squats and would have catered to my knees more

I've heard some of the explosive stuff builds joint and tendon strength. For me though I would get hurt.

I think a good amount of knee injury's is from genetics. Some people just have weaker tendons, less cartilage ect. I was a catcher in baseball for 9 years as a kid, I jumped out of airplanes as a paratrooper in the army with over 200 plus pounds of gear strapped to me, I've squat 595 before and I've never hurt my knees.

Warming up proper, having sufficient blood into the knee areas before pushing yourself is also key. Also listening to your body. I've been squating before and have felt something was just not right so I backed off for the day. Hit is again next week. Live to fight another day.

Back