Technique for short slin pins on Novolog pens...

bm11

So here is my dilema: my novolog (similar to humalog, its insulin for those really in the dark) comes in the adjustable dose multi use pens (300iu's a pen.) The problem I have been having is that due to the short (5/16 30 guage if I had to bet,) pins, when I shoot sub q, even if I hold it in for a while, I seem to lose quite a bit when I pull out. If it were an aas shot I wouldn't worry, but when you are talking small amounts like under 10iu's, 5-6 drops can be a significant amount to lose. I have done plenty of sub-q shots but always with a half inch pin. And its not like I have real thick skin right now, I am at about 7-8%. What can I do to make this shit hold?

Thanks!

-BM11

PS, anyone know where to get replacement needles for these things? They only come with about 10, and at this point my only option is reusing.

maybe pull the plunger out of a regular slin pin and shoot the slin in there then inject in there, put the plunger back and shoot with a regular slin pin?

I've had the same problem. Pull the skin in the area you are about to inject tight, push in needle, depress plunger then pull out needle and release skin at the same time. It worked for me by quickly closing the small hole that was made during injection. Could work for you.

This is not a slin pin. It is a preloaded pen. I got it to work today, I got the instructions from the novolog site and followed them. Turns out you are supposed to hold it in for six seconds after, and you are supposed to hold the button down until it is out. It worked!

ah I see...learn something new everyday I guess. Be careful with the humalog (or just insulin in general) it's quick acting stuff. Almost put me under a couple of times even with the correct amount of carbs calculated.

Back