The Special Ops Fitness Test

mikeswift

Gold Member
The Special Ops Fitness Test

By Adam Campbell
Men's Health

Even if you're not ready to sign up, it helps to be fighting fit. Test yourself against Ranger standards, using their recommended scores in pushups, situps, chinups, and a 2-mile run. Fall below the curve? Follow the accompanying training techniques from Michael Mejia, C.S.C.S., author of the Special Ops Workout. Do each 2 or 3 days a week, resting at least a day between sessions.

PUSHUPS
The Ranger goal: 80 in 2 minutes
If you don't measure up: Do as many pushups as you can, then rest for 20 seconds. Repeat this back-and-forth process (work, rest) for 2 minutes. Keep track of the total number of pushups you perform in that time period, and try to beat it in your next workout.

SITUPS
The Ranger goal:80 in 2 minutes
If you don't measure up: Without resting, do as many situps as you can, timing yourself from start to finish. Then rest for that same amount of time. Repeat four times, always resting for only as long as it took to do your previous set. Work your way to the 2-minute goal.

CHINUPS
The Ranger goal:12 or more
If you don't measure up: Take the most chinups you can do at one time, and divide that number in half. Now perform sets of that number of repetitions — resting 60 seconds after each set — until you've done at least 12 chinups. (If you can do six chinups, you'll perform four sets of three repetitions.) Each workout, reduce your rest between sets by 5 seconds, until you're down to zero rest and able to do 12 consecutive chinups.

2-MILE RUN
The Ranger goal:13 minutes or less
If you don't measure up:Break the 2-mile distance into 400-yard increments (1/4 mile, or once around the track) and do eight intervals, running each in 1 minute, 38 seconds — a pace that's equivalent to a 6:30 mile — and resting for 60 seconds after each. Each workout, reduce your rest period by 5 to 10 seconds until you can do all eight 400-yard rounds without stopping.​

That actually isn't so bad. I gave it a shot today...came up short on the sit-ups (wonder what I need to work at), but cleared everything else with ease. Stopped the push-ups @ 100, only got to 67 on the sit-ups (fatass), got 22 pull-ups, and finished my run in 6:49. I actually feel pretty good for not working out much in awhile, aside from running.

Spiderman said:
That actually isn't so bad. I gave it a shot today...came up short on the sit-ups (wonder what I need to work at), but cleared everything else with ease. Stopped the push-ups @ 100, only got to 67 on the sit-ups (fatass), got 22 pull-ups, and finished my run in 6:49. I actually feel pretty good for not working out much in awhile, aside from running.
You ran 2 miles in under 7 minutes?? Damn

no he didn't run 2 miles in under 7 minutes...that is unless he's also from kenya. lol. That would be a world record run bro. lol. I think he meant 1 mile in which 6:49 is pretty darn good for just fooling around.

yeah, sry...I'm bad with typing and reading. They were 6:49 a piece...hahahahah. Wow, 2 miles in under 7 minutes I probably wouldn't be on here posting, but in a runners forum!!! I actually don't like running much at all, but I've been training for an adventure race with some buddies so I am running better right now than I ever have before. And the sad thing is that even feeling this good with running...I hate it!

I hate running now because I'm so out of shape but I used to love it. As a matter of fact I loved it so much I was running up to 80 miles a week and I've run the NYC Marathon a bunch of times and Chicago as well as numerous other events. It's one of those things I need to either love 100% or have a goal in order to get out and do... now it's not so much that I hate it but more I hate getting up early to do it or lugging my fat ass out on the road to try and run the speeds I used to

The USMC physical fitness test (PFT) requirments are a little higher. These requirements are for all Marines regardless of occupation or speciality.

3-mile run: 18 minutes is the goal

Pull-ups: 20 reps is the goal. No kipping or excessive swinging allowed.

Crunches: 100 reps in under 2 mins.

Push-up are not required but are done often. In fact, Marines do 4 count push-ups, which in reality is 2 reps.

mikeswift said:
I hate running now because I'm so out of shape but I used to love it. As a matter of fact I loved it so much I was running up to 80 miles a week and I've run the NYC Marathon a bunch of times and Chicago as well as numerous other events. It's one of those things I need to either love 100% or have a goal in order to get out and do... now it's not so much that I hate it but more I hate getting up early to do it or lugging my fat ass out on the road to try and run the speeds I used to

Too bad you aren't running as much. The Salt Lake marathon is coming up in April. You could have come out here. I'm going to go _watch_ my brother-in-law from Brazil run (he and his wife, my wife's sister, are both coming up). He's never been in a climate like Utah's before, so we'll see how good he does.

I'm trying to get back into it bro but with a new born in the house it's hard enough to make it through my day as it is! What's the altitude at the Salt Lake City Marathon? I've raced in Colorado before and even shorter 10 mile races feel like marathons with the thin air!!!

We're at 4,226 ft (1,288 m). My brother-in-law is coming from almost sea level, and we warned him, but he still wants to do it.

Spiderman said:
yeah, sry...I'm bad with typing and reading. They were 6:49 a piece...hahahahah. Wow, 2 miles in under 7 minutes I probably wouldn't be on here posting, but in a runners forum!!! I actually don't like running much at all, but I've been training for an adventure race with some buddies so I am running better right now than I ever have before. And the sad thing is that even feeling this good with running...I hate it!
lol.... I was gonna say, Damn sponsor that guy!

Back