Thinking of starting my own business (finally)

Metal85

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
Gold Member
So I have mulled this over in the past several times. I have a pretty wide background in different areas or scopes of work.
We all know health care is going to shit, which sucks because it truly is my passion. I love taking care of people, I have enjoyed patient care for over a decade, and honestly making someone that is in pain, or very nervous, or having a mental break down completely forget about all that, and smile or laugh when I am taking care of them is one of the best feelings in the world.
Having said that,
My hours got cut like everyone else in my field, so I have got the final push.

Who here has knowledge of starting a business/or currently has one?

I know a few of the good dudes here do have one and I had some questions.

Hey guys,
Painting Homes.
I used to paint with a guy with new homes and did close to 200 of them with him.
I did a 1800 sq ft house yesterday with 1 helper and got it done in 9 hours. (I had already pressure washed it a few days earlier)

If you could get hooked up with a general contractor that can give you leads that is great. A buddy who is a firefighter does painting on his days off and does pretty good because his brother who is a general contractor feeds him work with remodels he does. Plus he walks the homes in the area and cuts people deals if they get their homes painted while he's there because he doesn't have to travel. I had my house painted like this, I wasn't looking for a paint job but it was a good price.

Yeah under bidding everyone will be very easy to do because a lot of these painters charge over 1.00 per sq foot of the actual home size. I will probably stick around .78 cents per sq foot. So instead of charging $2000 for a 2000 sq ft home It would be $1560. I just painted my Dad's yesterday for $550, but he bought the paint, and I am obviously going to do it cheap for my family. My buddies Mom's house is about 2700 sq feet and she just got a bid a few months back for $3600... It will be really easy to beat those deals, but volume will be the hardest issue.

Hey guys,
Painting Homes.
I used to paint with a guy with new homes and did close to 200 of them with him.
I did a 1800 sq ft house yesterday with 1 helper and got it done in 9 hours. (I had already pressure washed it a few days earlier)

I think its a FANTASTIC IDEA any time someone wants to start their own business! I say go for it brutha, as long as your the type to get in there and do it yourself and put the time in then your golden!

Get in with a contractor and your golden! Some biz cards and a small simple website and your on ur way! Never under estimate what having a web presence will do for your business!

I wish you nothing but the best of luck bro!

Yeah under bidding everyone will be very easy to do because a lot of these painters charge over 1.00 per sq foot of the actual home size. I will probably stick around .78 cents per sq foot. So instead of charging $2000 for a 2000 sq ft home It would be $1560. I just painted my Dad's yesterday for $550, but he bought the paint, and I am obviously going to do it cheap for my family. My buddies Mom's house is about 2700 sq feet and she just got a bid a few months back for $3600... It will be really easy to beat those deals, but volume will be the hardest issue.

Most of those companies have overhead to pay for which it sounds like you wont have much of to cover to keep yourself in the black.

I need the inside of my house painted by the way lol

I think its a FANTASTIC IDEA any time someone wants to start their own business! I say go for it brutha, as long as your the type to get in there and do it yourself and put the time in then your golden!

Get in with a contractor and your golden! Some biz cards and a small simple website and your on ur way! Never under estimate what having a web presence will do for your business!

I wish you nothing but the best of luck bro!

Presser thank you so much man, feels really good to hear that. I know it's hard for me because I am not a gambler and always afraid of failure. This time I had the final push to do it. I work hard and this is worth it bc if I bust my butt I have days off, which equals more time with my baby boys. Like I said I did a 1800 sq ft house in 9 hours the other days, and that was re-rolling a lot of what my worker did. I still need to do just little touch up stuff and another coat on the garage door, but he wants me to wait until next week, which is fine. I will be repainting his driveway next, so I will knock all that out when I go back. Thanks again for the kind words brutha :)

- - - Updated - - -

Most of those companies have overhead to pay for which it sounds like you wont have much of to cover to keep yourself in the black.

I need the inside of my house painted by the way lol

yeah my over head is my car payment, gas, and the little bit of stuff here and there like new rollers and extensions when they break. I may eventually get a sprayer , but I would use that more for just primer on a house that is really dark going to a much lighter color.

I got a fb web page built and business cards are on the way :) I need to get a lawn sign, and after I buy the truck I will either get a magnetic sign, or decals on just the tailgate

I used to refurbish weight lifting equipment and resell it. It was awesome and it brought in the cash. Eventually I had a family so I had to get a job with benefits. I think you need to go for it because if you dont, you will regret it the rest of your life. Good luck..

I used to refurbish weight lifting equipment and resell it. It was awesome and it brought in the cash. Eventually I had a family so I had to get a job with benefits. I think you need to go for it because if you dont, you will regret it the rest of your life. Good luck..

Yeah you need benefits that's for sure!

If you like it go for it, make a good name and business will come to you. One thing I know I painted my house in 2005 and a gallon of paint was 18.00 of Kelly Moore , now its 35.00 thats with my 25% off police discount(im retired but still use it for discounts free subway rides). Oh yea, inflation is only 2 % per the fed.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though see if you can get into plumbing. The wage out here in Kali Bay area is 175 an hour for that stuff.

Back