Trying to buy a suit

ta2dfreak

So my lady and I went to buy a suit for our upcoming wedding. Now i don't consider myself to be that big of a guy at 6' 225lbs but finding a jacket that fit my shoulders took some time. Then a pair of pants had to be 42" waist to fit my legs, that's understandable...I guess. So then i get a dress shirt based on the size of my neck. It looked like a bed sheet with buttons and sleeves. To sum things up, the suit would have cost $500, the altertions to the suit $75, the shirt $80, the alterations to the shirt $15, the tie $25, etc. My lady said she likes me in the suit, but not to the toon of around $800 dollars all said and done. I haven't worn a suit for nearly 20 years but that seemed to be a little expensive. Am I wrong on this? Is there another place bigger, muscular guys can go to for a suit? Any advice or comment is welcome at this point or I'm getting hitched in Dickies shorts, a pair of Chuck Taylors, and a short sleeve button up shirt :)

Too bad you're in CA. If memory serves, here in Montreal we have a Big and Tall store that's been in business for *decades* that does free alterations - apparently they are a *go-to* place for a number of local competitive bodybuilders.

Doctor9

So my lady and I went to buy a suit for our upcoming wedding. Now i don't consider myself to be that big of a guy at 6' 225lbs but finding a jacket that fit my shoulders took some time. Then a pair of pants had to be 42" waist to fit my legs, that's understandable...I guess. So then i get a dress shirt based on the size of my neck. It looked like a bed sheet with buttons and sleeves. To sum things up, the suit would have cost $500, the altertions to the suit $75, the shirt $80, the alterations to the shirt $15, the tie $25, etc. My lady said she likes me in the suit, but not to the toon of around $800 dollars all said and done. I haven't worn a suit for nearly 20 years but that seemed to be a little expensive. Am I wrong on this? Is there another place bigger, muscular guys can go to for a suit? Any advice or comment is welcome at this point or I'm getting hitched in Dickies shorts, a pair of Chuck Taylors, and a short sleeve button up shirt :)

I feel your pain. I have 3 wool suits with silk lining sitting in my wardrobe that don't fit anymore. I regularly holiday in Asia (Indonesia especially) and you can get a fully tailored 3-piece suit there, made of pure wool with silk lining for about $120 Australian. I'm heading over to Vietnam in a couple of months for a holiday and I told my wife that a couple of new suits was high on my agenda and that we'd need to work it into our itinerary. The cost of return flights to Vietnam from Australia are about $800, so if I buy 2 suits, I get a free trip thrown in. Suggest you could look at travelling somewhere cool and buying a couple of handmade suits while away :)

its all about alterations, i buy dress shirts and another 50% of the cost is in alterations, but the thing is if you have like 2 good suits you should be set

I feel you bro. I found a place online called Combat Gentleman and they have great prices on suits, I wear a suit daily. I use to spend $500 bucks a pop bro. THis place they are $160 but they are slim cuts BUT the jackets fit perfect!!!! I wear a 50R but there cuts are tapered so if you're big shouldered and small waisted like me it fits bad ass. The pants are a little tricky I bought a 38waist and and had the waist tailored as usual but the legs are still a little snug around the ass but it looks damn good for $160.

Im in calif also. I think it was mens wharehouse, free tailoring. Couple years ago got a suit there,
affordable, under 200 I think. The guy was fitting me for tailoring the coat, measuring my back and
says "Holy Shit, do you live in the gym?" I say " No, I used to work out when I was younger" (lol)
My wife (soon to be "X", YEAH! lol) pipes up and says "he's in the gym every day". See if you have
mens wharehouse in your area.

I am getting a new suit for work after I finish school.... I have a few links to em & prices are not bad.. Depends on brand and they carry Armani etc... IDK if it'll help but can't hurt right?

mcgaret, I tried men's wharehouse and wasn't getting out of there for less than around $800 for the suit that fit right. But I did find a great shop at the local mall that had great service, nice suits, and got what I needed (suit, shirt, tie and shoes) for a little over $200

Buffalo, thanks for the website, they had some nice looking stuff at good prices, but I was fortunate enough to find something local, thanks

Same here, took some time to find a jacket to fit my shoulders and one I can raise my arms without my biceps feeling like they are about to bust out. Just need to find a great tailor

Back