Hospital Again

thnx for advice guys and yeah looks like surgery is the best option but they ofcourse want to try injections, but i keep hearing they arent worth a shit eoither, and everyone says they feel perfect after surgery. I havent been to the gym and worked out in about a month which kills me

I'd say the injections won't do much for you, but of coutse the docs want to do everything possible before going to surgery. Either way, I hope you get better fast and are able to get back to the typical lifestyle

My bro went through what your going through bro, I feel for ya. he did his in a skiing accident. Try the lidocaine patches with flexeril and he says try the injections first some react well to them. If they do surgery theres a huge risk (not to scare you) but you may also have limited mobility like bending over to tie your shoes. If physical therapy and all that doesnt work go with surgery. I wish you the best bro and I have a back injury to but im still lifting after being down for 18 months it takes time my friend. I have 3 herniated disks and spinal compression and tore the tendon in my left knee, tore the ligament in my right foot and cracked my skull. Im alive and doing well, and bigger than i was before it happened "train the mind to build the body" remember!

by surgery i'm assuming your neurosurgeon would do an ACD or ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy w/ or w/o fusion). depending on how he was trained he may decide an approach from the posterior side (through the back of your neck PCD or PCDF)...
typically the incision is made through the throat and the disection occurs along the trachea and esophagus down to the collapsed discs. At that point he/she would remove all disc fragments or maybe even the entire disc in each level depending on the severity of each level specifically.
once the disc is removed the next process is to decompress the nerve root which is causing most of your pain. theres a couple ways to do it which also depend on his training.
one way is to use bone graft to hold the space open for your nerve to pass through. they can use synthetic bone graft which is a coral derivative, cadaver graft (allograft), or your own bone (autograft). each have their own benefits. Autograft is typically the best for your body to use and bond with because its your own bone (usually harvested from your illiac crest of the pelvis, so that means two wounds to heal post op). Allograft also works well however it is literally taken from a dead persons bone and ground up. the allograft goes through a cleaning procedure but if it is sterilized it loses its osteoconductivitity (meaning your body may not accept it). so you can see why some individuals get kind of freaked out about the thought of someone else's tissue being implanted into their bodys.

Another option is a fairly newer approach called a PEEK (polyetheretherketone) spacer. the surgeon opens the disk space that was being compressed and inserts the PEEK spacer. after the spacer is implanted the surgeon uses a plate and usually 4 screws (2 into each vertebre and the plate spanning the opening to hold the spacer in place). According to testing they typically last 20-25 years.

heres some clinical results from the Mayfield Clinic in Cincinatti:

Anterior cervical discectomy is successful in relieving arm pain in 92 to 100% of patients [3]. However, arm weakness and numbness may persist for weeks to months. Neck pain is relieved in 73 to 83% of patients [3]. In general, people with arm pain benefit more from ACDF than those with neck pain. Aim to keep a positive attitude and diligently perform your physical therapy exercises.
<CODE>Achieving a spinal fusion varies depending on the technique used and your general health (smoker). In a study that compared three techniques: ACD, ACDF, and ACDF with plates and screws, the outcomes were [3]:
</CODE>

• 67% of people who underwent ACD (no bone graft) achieved fusion naturally. However, ACD alone results in an abnormal forward curving of the spine (kyphosis) compared with the other techniques.
  • 93% of people who underwent ACDF with bone graft placement achieved fusion.
  • 100% of people who underwent ACDF with bone graft placement and plates and screws achieved fusion.
so you can see there are options to fix the collapsed disks and get you back into the gym. although i would guess that your surgeon would recommend that you stay away from weights for a minimum of 12 weeks following your surgery if you chose to go that route.
before you take the plunge into the operating room i'd give it at least 6 weeks from your original injury with muscle relaxants and maybe some physical therapy. lots of people get relief that way w/o getting cut on.

thnx Jpotch and others, and jpotch you sure do take after your uncle thats for sure!

And yes I have heard all those options mentioned, and also heard something about adding a cement like thing in that area, i guess to decompress the area, not sure what the cement is actualy made of and what not but i also heard of this as an option

lol thanks bro

the cement thing is called kyphoplasty. mostly used for vertebral fracture opposed to collapse of the disc space. the vertebre are hollow and the cement is injected into the hollow space to keep the vertebral body itself from collapsing if there is a fracture. your vertebre arent collapsed as far as i know, just the disc space inbetween them

Back