When do you use straps?

I only use them when doing deads (315 lbs. and above), shrugs (275 lbs. and above), and bent-over barbell rows (185 lbs. and above).

GOLDENEAR........I'm curious as to whether you use straps when you deadlift.....

It's my understanding that you can't use them in competition - this fact has me a little nervous about entering powerlifting comps myself - but I can't imagine your deadlift routine without them

I know there's no way I could make it to 495 without them, much less going heavier than that

Junkyard Dog said:
I use them when my wrists are fried. Mainly during upright rows and shrugs at max weight.

#540 is my max on shrugs (set of 10). I tried more than that and pulled a muscle in my neck. Have not tried more since then. No need really!

same here...pulled a muscle in my neck last night doing the same thing....it hurt like hell, but i still went on and did other exercises..today...it's just hard to turn my head to the right...bah! it'll get better in no time!

Just for major shrugs from time to time. I can't get comfy with them on deadlifts for some reason. I love the marks they leave, lol.

I break out my straps when I open the refrigerator door.....

J/K:D

Back day is the only time they come out of the bag. Deads, shrugs and rows are when I usually need them.

If your goal is purely muscle hypertrophy, then using straps is not a problem, as you can get better forearm growth from working them directly. However, if you interest is in strength then I think that strap use should be very limited. I personally never use straps or a belt, just because my goal is to develop whole body strength, not just in a single lift.

If you are interested in increasing your grip strength so you no longer need to rely on straps, then IronMind has some products that I like. Apollon’s Axel, Rolling Thunder, the grippers and some pinch grip tools too.

Koevoet

I am more concerned with finishing a set than having my grip fail before I finish working the muscle.. I use them lat pulldowns upright rows shrugs cable rows My forearms are strong but there comes a time when you get stronger than your grip I believe in most people. and the goal if your a bodybuilder it to isolate and work the muscle and if straps helps its all good

Back