Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 8-9

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • 10-12

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • 13+

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters
Ok, heres the deal, Lets say for example you do legs. ok, first I start with squats 3 sets of that, thats 1 exercise 3 sets. Next exercise, leg extentions 3 sets of that, then leg curls 3 sets of that. Standing calf raises 4 sets. I hope this clears up some confiusion on this subject. Or maybe not...lol

In my opinion, Yes you can do more sets because of the increase in strengh you get. Your recovery time is greatly reduced in most cases also. It is also easy to over train too and that is an issue that should be taken under consideration.

I think what a lot of people overlook is Quality... you can do a few warm up sets but do those count? If so then when I trian chest I'm doing a lot of sets because it takes my chest and shoulders at least 2 or 3 sets to get warm for the first exercise. I then knock out my quality sets ;)

I usually do 2-5 exercises per body part, with bigger body parts getting more exercises.

I usually do 1-3 sets per exercise, and the only one I do three for squat. Usually it is one set to failure, but I sometimes do a light set to failure (12-15 reps) as well as the usual heave set (3-8 reps) to stress the muscles differently.

I do only ONE warm up per muscle if that. When you have done the chest, do you really need to warm up the tris?

3-4 exercises, maybe 3 sets each. Actually start with more (4-5 sets) and as I fatigue reduced them (2)...

i just knocked out chest in 3 exercises flat db bench with 2 warmup sets then 3 working incline 3 working and flys 4 went a little heavier on the flys to failure and my chest is about to explode who says you need 20 sets for a good workout im toast.

I voted 4 but it really depends on the muscle group and how I feel that day.I think the longer you lift it becomes more instinct.The more you can really feel the muscle and focus on it,the quicker you can get it to the point of growth and not over train.

yes sir i strongly believe in that especially for back i can do lat pulldowns all day long if i just pull with my arms but if im trying to just pull with my back thats a hole different story same thing with any exercise.

It really is all about focus and thinking about the group your working.There's more mental exercise to this than people give weight lifters credit for.

i always listen to my body unless it's my dick talking then I think twice but do whatever it tells me anyway...

yeah my dick does most my thinking in life; probably always will too.

in the end is what is working for each of us. I personaly prefer the less amount of sets with heavy weights per body part, sort of d.yates routine. I have seen beeg guys that are disciples of high sets high reps routine. for me the improvement was so dramatic since a shift to this way of training that I decided to approach that method for good.

When You Do Like 4 Set And Lets Say 12 Rep S Per Set
Is That A Way Of Cutting Your Muscle ? And Does That
Build Power ? I Saw In The Forum Someone Said It Helped Them
Grow In Weight But I Want To Build Power But Look Defined What Should
I Do?

The bigger you muscle grow.....the more defined you get ;)

There are four points to consider in order to achieve rapid gains in muscle size and strength. I am talking about the overload principle, the Henneman Size principle, training intensity, and adequate rest periods between each workout.

The Overload principle:
But basically, in order to achive continuous muscle growthrequires that the muscles constantly be subjected to new challenges.
Now the body and the muscles have the ability to adapt to new stimuli or stress factors, and as a result become stronger. The problem is that the body quickly adapts to a new stimulus, and progress comes to a standstill.

So training efforts must be further increased before the body recognizes it as a new challenge, and once more adapts by growing bigger and stronger.

The most effective way to subject muscles regularly to a new stimulus is a gradual increase in training weights. You must consequently ensure that you increase your training weights in all exercises whenever possible.

The Henneman Size Principle:
Henneman's size principle relates the input and output properties of motoneurons and their muscle fibers to size and is the basis for size-ordered activation or recruitment of motor units during movement.

In laymen terms this means this principle demonstrates that muscle fibers are recruited in a sequence that is directly related to the mechanical load placed on the muscle.

They are recruited in the fashion of typeI --->typeIIa---->typeIIb.

TypeI fibers do not stop contracting as typeII fibers are recruited, this would just limit force production. So when the heaviest loads are used(<6 rep) you have effectivly stimulated all the fibers there are to stimulate.

High intensity Training:
In order to gain muscle fast, quality comes before quantity, i.e.....high intensity training is more important than a lot of low intensity training.

Muscle growth can be very adequately stimulated with relatively few sets if each workout set is performed to the point of muscle failure. A set is not considered done until you are unable to perform another rep by yourself.

It has been said that six sets per muscle group is the optimum. However, adequate training intensity can only be achieved if one trains primarily with basic exercises such as squats, bench presses, barbell rows, behind the neck presses, barbell curls etc.

Adequate Rest:
Intensive training is without a doubt the prerequisite for muscle growth since it stimulates the muscle cells thoroughly and triggers growth, even though the actual muscle growth occurs in the recovery phase, i.e........in the days following the workout. The higher the training intensity, and the heavier the muscles are stressed, the more time is required for recovery and muscle tissue building (overcompensation). In addition to the individual muscle groups, the body as a whole must be given adequate rest.

I hope this helped in determining your training routine. :D

So does anyone have the sets like for strength
like is it 3 set or 4 sets
and is it 8 reps or 15 reps ?
and how many to do for back or arms ?
Is it different sets and reps for different muscles?

I like the 3 to 5 sets per muscle group. I try and do 8 -17 reps per set. Do what you feel best for back and arms. Everyone is different. I'm 48 yrs old and can't risk doing the monster poundage anymore.

Reps and sets

I am also 48 and find that 10-12 reps for six sets is optimal for me. Of course, everyone is different, but I concur about being a little more careful at our age. Our joints and tendons are not like they were when we were in our 20s!

I am currently only do 1-2 working sets per bodypart. I am following my version of DC training. I have done as many as 12-15 sets per bodypart though.

Back